FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated IAH connection time/logistics-Domestic & International (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1194901-consolidated-iah-connection-time-logistics-domestic-international.html)

JimInOhio Feb 19, 2020 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly (Post 32089609)
His OP says 6:10.

Thx... me being lazy. :)

There’s a later flight to SFO so not much to worry about.

wpcoe Feb 23, 2020 11:25 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW (Post 32008565)
I frequently fly in/out of MID on UA and I recall several times the pre-arrival announcement on the MID-IAH flights mentioning that passengers with baggage checked through to NH in IAH do *not* need to collect their bags in IAH.

Is that same arrangement available on NH flights arriving into IAH and connecting to MID on UA? Where would that information be available (other than here on FT, of course)?

The answer is: yes, standard procedure with NH arrivals into IAH for a connection to a UA outbound international flight where bags have been checked through to the final beyond-IAH destination is that the luggage will be automatically transferred from NH to UA and will bypass the baggage claim carousel. An announcement advising that is made on the NH flight as part of the pre-landing process.

HOWEVER, my IAH-MID flight was on a separate PNR, and since I was originating in BKK more than 24 hours prior to that IAH-MID segment TG could only issue bag tags but not check me in on the UA flight. An agent paged me in the jetway* as I was deplaning in IAH and advised that since TG was unable to check me in for the UA flight, I needed to pick up my bags off the IAH carousel and take them to the UA customer service counter in the bag re-check area and have a UA agent manually enter my bag tag numbers into the UA check-in system or else the bags would not be boarded by UA. I was not the only person at the UA counter in IAH doing that...

Looking back, I wonder why the bags themselves had to be offloaded to the carousel for me to lug to the UA counter. She never re-tagged the bags, just typed into her computer and then waved me over to the bag-recheck conveyor belts. Why would it have not been sufficient to simply have me show her my claim checks when she checked me in? Why did I need to have the bags with me? <shrug>

*I consider myself lucky to have heard the page. He stood by the aircraft door saying my name, but didn't begin until *after* I had passed him and was halfway down the jetway. (I was the very first passenger off the flight.)

SEA-Flyer Mar 5, 2020 12:45 pm

First time transiting IAH today, have a delayed inbound which will create a very tight connection C7 to E11. Currently showing 17 minutes. Obviously need to run like hell, but what’s the best route?

Xyzzy Mar 5, 2020 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer (Post 32146780)
First time transiting IAH today, have a delayed inbound which will create a very tight connection C7 to E11. Currently showing 17 minutes. Obviously need to run like hell, but what’s the best route?

The United app has maps of airports - including IAH. It also will show you the map with the start/end gates if you follow the prompts from your boarding pass/itinerary. IMHO I would walk fast and N:eek:T take the train.

SEA-Flyer Mar 5, 2020 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 32146894)
The United app has maps of airports - including IAH. It also will show you the map with the start/end gates if you follow the prompts from your boarding pass/itinerary. IMHO I would walk fast and N:eek:T take the train.

Saw the map, but still not sure the fastest route

kirkwoodj Mar 5, 2020 1:23 pm

Unfortunately those gates are almost at opposite poles of the airport. Would go left then left after deplaning, take a right where you'd pass by security, then left toward E gates. Should take 10 minutes at a moderate walking pace. Good luck!

ADDENDUM: agree with NOT taking the skytrain.

jsloan Mar 5, 2020 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer (Post 32146903)
Saw the map, but still not sure the fastest route

It likely doesn't matter, as you're going to need a minor miracle to make your connection. Do you have checked luggage?

The app shows you the route it recommends. I agree with it. It's suggesting 19 minutes; even running, you won't make it before the doors close unless your IAH-SJO flight is quite delayed or your DEN-IAH flight makes up a ton of ground en route.

I see one J seat available on AA, via PHX, that would get you in to SJO at 5 AM. If that works for you, I'd push for it. Otherwise, you're quite likely to be spending the night in Houston. (They do have J seats on all four of tomorrow's IAH-SJO flights, though, if that's the route you'd prefer).

Xyzzy Mar 5, 2020 1:29 pm

With 17 minutes between arrival and departure you really only have 2 minutes at best - presuming you are off the plane as soon as it arrives - as boarding ends 15 minutes bef:ore scheduled departure time.

EmailKid Mar 5, 2020 1:30 pm

Maybe it's just at IAH, but I have seen pax taken for a ride on the cart to make a tight connection (OK, have not connected there in a few months, but have seen that in the past).

I'd suggest asking GA for assistance.

jsloan Mar 5, 2020 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 32146969)
With 17 minutes between arrival and departure you really only have 2 minutes at best - presuming you are off the plane as soon as it arrives - as boarding ends 15 minutes bef:ore scheduled departure time.

OP is connecting to an international flight (detail picked up from another thread). UA actually reserves the right to offload an international passenger at T-30.

JimInOhio Mar 5, 2020 1:50 pm

OP’s aircraft just landed in DEN. Maybe they can turn it in well under an hour which they are allowing.

jsloan Mar 5, 2020 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 32147044)
OP’s aircraft just landed in DEN. Maybe they can turn it in well under an hour which they are allowing.

Turned in 57 minutes; currently estimating a 6:07 PM arrival in IAH, for a 7 minute transfer. If OP is still on that flight, he's going to have to hope for ConnectionSaver.

Kensterfly Mar 5, 2020 4:02 pm

There is no choice of routes. C7 is the far side of Terminal C. You’ll have to run the main concourse, past security on the left. Take first concourse to the left. Sign will say to E Gates.
E11 is in the main E Concourse. Not one of the side concourses. It’ll be on your right.
Just a long walk from C1. I don’t see how you can make it unless your outbound is late.

Good Luck.

LarryJ Mar 5, 2020 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32147451)
he's going to have to hope for ConnectionSaver.

App is currently showing a 20 min delay for connecting inbound customers. Hope he makes it.

SEA-Flyer Mar 5, 2020 6:02 pm

Made it. They had a cart waiting for us at the gate, and delayed the flight a couple of minutes. Checked bag made it too.