Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Thanks, sbm12. Well, if I only get a few minutes, I might skip NRT altogether, I don't like rushed connections. The only reason I'm considering it is that routing through NRT is somewhat cheaper right now than going HKG-SFO or HKG-ORD

Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
Frankly, neither gives you a whole lot of time. Connecting at NRT is fairly painless but after the arrivals security check, you're probably looking at a quick visit. What's your final destination? Unless it is LAX, which sounds unlikely, I'd probably trade a lounge visit in NRT for the opportunity to NOT have to connect int'l to domestic at LAX. DEN is a far better international arrivals and connection experience. Or, is there an ANA code share HKG-NRT flight you could take that would afford you a longer layover?
Thanks, NgatesSEA. Final destination is CLE, which would give me 4h55m connection time in LAX. Connection time in DEN would be 3h5m.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 17, 2013 at 10:01 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
If you can, take the HKG-DEN and use the time in the lounge in DEN. Taking ANA from HKG to NRT buys you a little more time in NRT, but not really worth it. ANA is great to NRT. I just did that on the 12th. And also if you did not allready know, you will get the 787 Dreamliner to DEN. It was worth going thru DEN.
We just spent our layover in the lounge in DEN. Nothing to write home about , but OK.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by gusd
Thanks, sbm12. Well, if I only get a few minutes, I might skip NRT altogether, I don't like rushed connections. The only reason I'm considering it is that routing through NRT is somewhat cheaper right now than going HKG-SFO or HKG-ORD

Thanks, NgatesSEA. Final destination is CLE, which would give me 4h55m connection time in LAX. Connection time in DEN would be 3h5m.
Happy to help. I'd strongly suggest the DEN connection, in that case. As noted above, the DEN UA lounges are nothing to write home about but, as compared with LAX, it is not as though you are losing a shower or non-UA club option (unless you'd have access to the DL or AS lounges in LAX).
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:38 pm

Hi

I am contemplating booking an award flight from LAX-NRT-BKK. The connection time is 1 hr 10 mins in NRT. We will have carry on bags only. Both gates are in terminal 2. From the replies here, I think it should be fine but what do you guys think?

thank you
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
I am contemplating booking an award flight from LAX-NRT-BKK. The connection time is 1 hr 10 mins in NRT. We will have carry on bags only. Both gates are in terminal 2. From the replies here, I think it should be fine but what do you guys think?
You'll be fine.

And even bags would make it if you had any, but you are smart and travel without checked luggage ^

Oh wait, LAX-NRT is the delay prone 787 Hm, all bets are off @:-)

EmailKid
Old Aug 18, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Hi

thank you
You are on UA the whole way? if so yes I would assume you would be fine. If you LAX-NRT delays they may wait a few minutes for you. I've done the slightly over 1hr connections in NRT a few times. The only bad part for me if not being able to utilize the lounge to shower and relax when coming off the long hauls. Also if you connect from NH in intra-asia flights the security process isn't very good in my experience, long wait no premium line. If coming from the US and you are in business or *G its relatively quick even when a bunch of flights arrive at once.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Hi

thank you
Delay for 30-40min and you are screwed, assuming that NRT-BKK leg departs on time.

I personally have 1h 30min min connection time in NRT.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi

thank you
I wouldn't do it. But if you do, make sure you take your electronics out of your bags while going thru NRT security. Kindle, ipad, camera, chargers.
I was constantly get searched there for some reason and they take forever.

Anyway, isn't there a 2 hour cxn to the UA BKK flight? If you're on NH, I definitely wouldnt do it!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Hi

thank you
I assume your flights are on UA and/or NH since you posted here? I'm asking because both UA and NH use terminal 1.

In any case, IME 1 hr 10 mins connection at NRT in the same terminal is generally fine even with a small delay (~20 mins or so) coming in. But if longer connection option is possible without much hassle, I'd pick that.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
I'd been worried for months about my 45-minute connection at NRT between UA 804 (SIN-NRT) and UA 838 (NRT-SFO). Thanks to posts on this thread, I had some confidence that it was possible. The flight was yesterday; we arrived at NRT right on time. As others have mentioned, UA agents were around with signs directing people to connecting flights. I walked briskly to security (where another UA agent had a sign with the gate info for UA 838), passed through the checkpoint, and walked onward to my gate. The total elapsed time from leaving the Singapore flight to entering the plane for the SFO flight was 10 minutes.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Tight International Connection UA32 to NH931 at Narita Airport

I'm traveling with some elderly parents that cannot walk too fast on 10/30/13 from LAX flight UA32, scheduled to land in NRT 4:05pm. Then connecting to NH931 NRT-SGN on 10/31/2013, departing at 5:25pm.

Would like to know if this short connection time (1hr 20mins) would allow me to make the NH931 flight. I saw that they are both in Terminal 1 at NRT but have no other information on the formalities i.e. immigration system for connections between international flights and how far it would be from the gate landing from UA32, going to the departure gate for NH931.

Any information and feedback is much appreciated, thank you in advance
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vg247
I'm traveling with some elderly parents that cannot walk too fast on 10/30/13 from LAX flight UA32, scheduled to land in NRT 4:05pm. Then connecting to NH931 NRT-SGN on 10/31/2013, departing at 5:25pm.

Would like to know if this short connection time (1hr 20mins) would allow me to make the NH931 flight. I saw that they are both in Terminal 1 at NRT but have no other information on the formalities i.e. immigration system for connections between international flights and how far it would be from the gate landing from UA32, going to the departure gate for NH931.

You won't know the arrival/departure gate until the date of the flight as the gates change. However, at NRT you only need to re-pass through security, no need to wait in immigration line for a connecting international flight. 1 hour, 20 minutes is plenty of time. It typically takes less than 10 minutes to pass through security checkpoint
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by vg247
<snip>
If walking is difficult, I suggest you call UA and see if you can arrange a wheelchair pickup at the jetway (I assume the service exists but don't want to say yes for sure). Even though there are travellators before the security checkpoint it might be more comfortable if they are pushed along.

Also, folks on UA flights usually exit the security checkpoint near gate 28 (which is roughly where the United Club is located). Note that it takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to get to the gates around the 40's where ANA usually have their gates even when using the travellator.

One other thing (not related to your question but good to be aware): Are these two flights on the same PNR (itinerary) or separate? If the UA flight is late arriving, you might need to rush a bit to get to the ANA flight especially if they're on two separate PNR's. You want ANA to know you're on your way if you're running late.

Last edited by dsgtc0408; Sep 19, 2013 at 12:12 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
If walking is difficult, I suggest you call UA and see if you can arrange a wheelchair pickup at the jetway (I assume the service exists but don't want to say yes for sure). Even though there are travellators before the security checkpoint it might be more comfortable if they are pushed along.

Also, folks on UA flights usually exit the security checkpoint near gate 28 (which is roughly where the United Club is located). Note that it takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to get to the gates around the 40's where ANA usually have their gates even when using the travellator.

One other thing (not related to your question but good to be aware): Are these two flights on the same PNR (itinerary) or separate? If the UA flight is late arriving, you might need to rush a bit to get to the ANA flight especially if they're on two separate PNR's. You want ANA to know you're on your way if you're running late.
Thanks so much dsgtc' and tksr80' -

That's reassuring to know about quick security checkpoint process.
I plan on requesting for wheelchair assist for my parents and hope the service is available and efficient in getting them to the next gate in NRT.

Appreciate the feedback on the PNR- all the flights are under the same UA confirmation # (the ANA flight has its additional ANA # as well, provided to me by United)...

I'm am hoping there are no flight delays out of LAX effecting the flights overall, as I tried to find some info today and saw that UA32 was late departing by 1.5 hours and will miss the connection in NRT had we been on the flight (fingers crossed for us).

Thank you everyone for your most valued help
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jefftiger
I'd been worried for months about my 45-minute connection at NRT between UA 804 (SIN-NRT) and UA 838 (NRT-SFO). Thanks to posts on this thread, I had some confidence that it was possible. The flight was yesterday; we arrived at NRT right on time. As others have mentioned, UA agents were around with signs directing people to connecting flights. I walked briskly to security (where another UA agent had a sign with the gate info for UA 838), passed through the checkpoint, and walked onward to my gate. The total elapsed time from leaving the Singapore flight to entering the plane for the SFO flight was 10 minutes.

Thanks for this. I have a similar connection, from UA 804 (SIN-NRT) to UA 804 (NRT-IAD), with 45 minute connection time. I'm not sure I really want only 10 minutes out of a plane during a 20+ hour period, but so be it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.