Reload this Page >

London Airports transfer FAQ: LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN, SOU, SEN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Airports transfer FAQ: LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN, SOU, SEN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:15 am

ASUDan. Who or what makes you pick a specific train? Also, where are you trying to get to? Trains branded Express are rarely the wise choice from Gatwick.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:47 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Just to say that BATransfer have removed a number of benefits of their frequent user scheme.
- 10% discount for online booking is gone
- 15 minute free delay pick up is gone
1 free trip for 20 journeys is still there
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Also, as of this week, the very first Thameslink services to Peterborough and Cambridge are running (only a few per day), providing a whole load of new connections to Gatwick Airport. The full timetable starts in mid-May, and will be great for me!
​​​​
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
What happens if I fly in from US with carryon, transit to a BA EU-destined flight and Heathrow security decides my carryon is too big? Is that likely to happen? We have two carryon bags, different companies, that are marketed at measurements that would fit BA requirements but are probably a little taller than the required 22 inches. Way narrower than their width requirements. We have used them to travel world wide and US for years without issue but I've had some odd experiences with LHR security (such as wanting me to repack all of my liquids into their plastic bag versus my own).
If they don't like my bag, do I have to detour to a ticket counter to check it? How long would that take?
We have a trip coming up with 1:45 minute layover at LHR. we are in business should should be able to fasttrack if that helps with time.
The flip side is that I don't trust BA with checked baggage. They've lost it too many times and been unhelpful about finding it

AJ
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by aj411
would fit BA requirements but are probably a little taller than the required 22 inches
Surely you see the contradiction in your own statement. If it is taller than required, it does not meet the requirement. Could you still get it through? Yes. Or no. Or maybe. Could you get stopped by security? Doubtful, but possible. Could you get stopped by a BA gate agent? Yes. Or no. Or maybe. Depends on flight load, agent mood, phase of the moon.

Only way to be sure you get though is if you take a bag that does indeed fit BA requirements.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aj411
What happens if I fly in from US with carryon, transit to a BA EU-destined flight and Heathrow security decides my carryon is too big? Is that likely to happen?
No, for the simple reason that Heathrow security is not concerned about the size of your bag, unless it is so big that it won't go into the scanner (which sounds unlikely from what you say).

BA has the right to insist that your bag must be no bigger than the dimensions which BA stipulates for its flights. Who you have flown before (whether on this trip or on other trips) is irrelevant. The gate is therefore where the enforcement, if any, is likely to happen. Your bags either meet the BA requirements or they do not. But if they do not, they can be taken off you at the gate and checked into the hold from there.

If they only exceed the stipulated size by a tiny amount, then you may well find yourself getting away with it. But obviously there is no guarantee of this.

As this is really a BA baggage query, you may find more help (if you need it) on the BA board: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/ - this thread is fundamentally about ground transport between London and its airports.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:08 am

I have a trip next month with a round trip Heathrow-Gatwick transit.
It is T3 to Gatwick South, then Gatwick South to T5. Both trips are in the middle of the day on week days with plenty of time.

I am the only one travelling. I will have checked baggage, but it's nothing particularly enormous.

Based on Google, it seems like the National Express bus is the way to go, but I'm open to suggestions.\
I'm looking for the least amount of hassle without incurring extraordinary costs.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by Mats
I have a trip next month with a round trip Heathrow-Gatwick transit.
It is T3 to Gatwick South, then Gatwick South to T5. Both trips are in the middle of the day on week days with plenty of time.

I am the only one travelling. I will have checked baggage, but it's nothing particularly enormous.

Based on Google, it seems like the National Express bus is the way to go, but I'm open to suggestions.\
I'm looking for the least amount of hassle without incurring extraordinary costs.
I also need to arrange LHR-LGW transfer for family members (inexperienced travelers) for June.

I think Nat'l Express will be the best (time shouldn't be a factor - they have 5 hrs) - just wondering on the NE coaches - is pre-booking necessary? Because that can obviously change due to flight/baggage delays...or is is safe to always just buy coach tickets once you get to the LHR Central Bus Station?? Just wouldn't want to tell them to buy the tickets - and they get there and coaches are fully booked? It seems unlikely to me - but I have no experience with the service.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by rwm818
I think Nat'l Express will be the best (time shouldn't be a factor - they have 5 hrs) - just wondering on the NE coaches - is pre-booking necessary?
Two reasons to prebook:
- If the coach is fully booked, then they won't accept any walk-ups.
- It's cheaper

The disadvantage is that you book for a specific coach. Miss it and you'll likely have to buy a new one. I did have a delay into LGW and arrived at the bus stop 45 minutes after the schedule departure of my coach. I expected to buy a new fare but the driver was kind enough to let me board with my ticket.

Last edited by WorldLux; Apr 23, 2018 at 3:53 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The disadvantage is that you book for a specific coach. Miss it and you'll likely have to buy a new one. I did have a delay into LGW and arrived at the bus stop 45 minutes after the schedule departure of my coach. I expected to buy a new fare but the driver was kind enough to let me board with my ticket.
Yes, I have jumped coaches several times - usually one slightly earlier or later than booked. Unless the coach is full (and I haven't had one yet) the driver will be fine with it. Do not go to the NEX office to ask since they will give you the party line that you need to change/rebook.

On this basis if you miss your coach rwm818 because your flight is late I don't think you need to be too concerned about buying a new ticket.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes, I have jumped coaches several times - usually one slightly earlier or later than booked. Unless the coach is full (and I haven't had one yet) the driver will be fine with it. Do not go to the NEX office to ask since they will give you the party line that you need to change/rebook.

On this basis if you miss your coach rwm818 because your flight is late I don't think you need to be too concerned about buying a new ticket.
ok, thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stansted when the SEXpress isn’t running. ��

A gift of Ryanair vouchers is a lovely present, not only for the chance to fly them but all the hassle of getting to Stansted and then the joy of engineering works announced after you booked the flights, �� Travelling from Kennington there are 4 options

1. Tube to Liverpool and the replacement “express” coach service. Overall time circa 2 hours but with risk of being longer due to M11 roadworks. Cost £12 each
2. BA Transfer - 1h30 mins door to door plus roadwork risk. £33 each/£66 total
3. Terravision coach from Victoria. £8 each but over 2 hours. And it’s a Terravision coach...
4 Train to Chelmsford and cab from there. 1h30 and no roadwork risk. £30 each/£60 total

Critically i really dislike travelling as a car passenger and not so cordially loathe the abomination that is a coach (motion sickness and just, yuck). As a result I am inclined towards the Chelmsford option unless anyone had any brighter ideas or thinks I am being a complete diva for not taking the coach. Thoughts?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:36 pm

What day of week and time of day is your flight? I ask because the various options have different degrees of roadway travel and may be more prone to congestion at some times than others.

Personally I would take a coach but not if it makes you physically sick, there is nothing worse than beginning a flight in discomfort.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:25 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If you'd really rather avoid the road, you could travel by rail via Cambridge.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s a Saturday mid morning out and Sunday mid evening back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.