Reload this Page >

Sleeping Aids which keep you asleep rather than get you to sleep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping Aids which keep you asleep rather than get you to sleep

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
This seems like a lot of decent advice for someone wanting to sleep on a plane flying East on a nighttime flight, but the OP is flying to YVR on a daytime flight. Sleeping on that flight to try to avoid jetlag is absolutely crazy. If the OP dropped zopiclones on the flight they'd be up, fresh as daisies, on arrival at YVR.

The best strategy to deal with UK>West coast jetlag is to stay awake as long as you possibly can - do not sleep on the plane at all - and to go to bed as late as you can muster upon arrival. Do not just hit the sack as soon as you check into your hotel! When you arrive at your hotel, go for a walk and find somewhere to eat some dinner - ideally not at the hotel - a bit of fresh air and acclimatisation is important, eat some good food, some drinks (no caffeine though! - even though your head and body will be screaming for it). You'll feel totally beat by this point, but push through as late as you can. Go to bed, ideally after 11pm. You *will not* wake up until morning.

The BA flight to Vancouver arrives around 7pm - so this shouldn't be too tricky at all. Good luck!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: QF WP
Almost 12 years ago someone raised the prospect of “a stronger antihistamine that works better for sleep but isn’t marketed for it”

that drug is cyproheptadine (brand name Periactin) and it’s bloody marvellous for sleep

has been a little tricky to get hold of in the UK last few years I believe (due to “manufacturing issues”, it remains a pharmacy medicine if you can find somewhere selling it) but freely available in australia
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Moved from the BA forum due to lack of BA-specific content.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
In the USA you can buy an OTC called Alteril. It's a combo of melatonin and herbs and twigs. Works well with a different effect than an antihistamine or plain melatonine.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
Almost 12 years ago someone raised the prospect of “a stronger antihistamine that works better for sleep but isn’t marketed for it”

that drug is cyproheptadine (brand name Periactin) and it’s bloody marvellous for sleep

has been a little tricky to get hold of in the UK last few years I believe (due to “manufacturing issues”, it remains a pharmacy medicine if you can find somewhere selling it) but freely available in australia
Sonata (prescription) kicks in quickly and gives you an almost exact four-hour peaceful sleep.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by frankvb
I always take Melatonin, which works fine for me. It only a few $ for 60 tablets if you buy some in the US.
Have used it...fall asleep but wake up in 3-4 hours.

For stronger antihistamine try hydrochorzine RX in USA.

Buy melatonin on AMAZON in usa and elsewhere....
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by HMPS
Have used it...fall asleep but wake up in 3-4 hours.

For stronger antihistamine try hydrochorzine RX in USA.

Buy melatonin on AMAZON in usa and elsewhere....

In jargon, melatonin decreases "sleep latency", i.e. time it takes to fall asleep, but it doesn't increase likelihood of staying asleep (at least officially, unless taking mega doses). So melatonin is not really recommended for people who keep waking up in the middle of the night. I've personally only ever tried it a couple of times (prescription, CR version, from UK), and it didn't really do anything for me. I've only ever needed sleeping aids when I've had real issues with sleeping, and the added pragmatic issue for melatonin, i.e. taking it a couple of hours before due to falling asleep, with food, just boosted my anxiety levels: "is it working or not, I don't feel sleepier"...whereas e.g. zolpidem would knock me out shortly after taking it (not recommended for regular use).

tb
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:22 am

It’s possible the sustained release version of melatonin (marketed as circadian in the UK/Australia) may help the “staying asleep” part of the equation
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:20 am

It’s possible the sustained release version of melatonin (marketed as circadian in the UK/Australia) may help the “staying asleep” part of the equation
That's the evidence-free theory...

tb
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
That's interesting to know - I am a dreadful sleeper at the best of times & on my last trip to the US, I was in tatters with jetlag. I averaged 2 hours sleep a night over the two weeks away and again for 3 weeks when I came home. We've a trip to Florida & the Caribbean planned for late September and this was actually worrying me. I shall ignore my trusty Nytol One a Night (UK OTC only) and force myself to stay awake on the flight!!!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
That's the evidence-free theory...

tb
quite. Many years ago when I was working in the ICU we used a lot of melatonin as critical care patients get a reversed sleep-wake cycle very easily. We used to crush circadian and put it down nasogastric tunes. Being a fresh out of nursing school well trained policies and procedures type i was horrified to see a controlled release drug being crushed

the pharmacist told me there was absolutely zero evidence that the controlled release component made any difference to anything

to this day I still wonder why they bother manufacturing it as such- maybe it works CR for some people?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:04 am

quite. Many years ago when I was working in the ICU we used a lot of melatonin as critical care patients get a reversed sleep-wake cycle very easily. We used to crush circadian and put it down nasogastric tunes. Being a fresh out of nursing school well trained policies and procedures type i was horrified to see a controlled release drug being crushed

the pharmacist told me there was absolutely zero evidence that the controlled release component made any difference to anything

to this day I still wonder why they bother manufacturing it as such- maybe it works CR for some people?
The CR formulation allows it to be patented...it's about 50x more expensive than "normal" melatonin that one can buy in the US...

I'm not saying that CR doesn't work better, but I'm not aware of much evidence that it does. I've actually had reasonablly good experiences prescribing it to critically ill patients myself. But it didn't do anything for me...

tb
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by trueblu
The CR formulation allows it to be patented...it's about 50x more expensive than "normal" melatonin that one can buy in the US...

I'm not saying that CR doesn't work better, but I'm not aware of much evidence that it does. I've actually had reasonablly good experiences prescribing it to critically ill patients myself. But it didn't do anything for me...

tb
fascinating. To the best of my knowledge it’s never been available as non CR in the UK/australia/NZ (well not as a drug anyway. And I don’t think it’s marketed IR in any of those places but a blind eye is turned to it being imported as a dietary supplement in small quantities)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by opalfruit
..................The best strategy to deal with UK>West coast jetlag is to stay awake as long as you possibly can - do not sleep on the plane at all................
YES!

So why does everyone put down the window shades and why does the cabin crew dim the lights to make the cabin seem like it's night time? One can watch movies with the window shades open..
GregWTravels and lhrsfo like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kevinm016
YES!

So why does everyone put down the window shades and why does the cabin crew dim the lights to make the cabin seem like it's night time? One can watch movies with the window shades open..
Agreed entirely. I want to stay awake and to read my book (planes are such a good time to get lost in a book). Closing the window shades not only removes the amazing views of Greenland but also throws off most people's sleep rhythms. I do get that there may be connecting passengers whose time clocks are completely off, but that's what eye shades are for.
kevinm016 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.