Wiki Posts
Search

ATMs in UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
ATMs in UK

While in UK (especially at LHR), is there a particular branch of ATM that I should use over the others for favorable exchange rate and low fee? I'll be using my credit union ATM card.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
None of the major banks or building society charge fees for ATM use over here. The exchange rate will be applied by your credit union, not the bank you withdraw the money from If they do charge a fee, they generally have to tell you (and also tend to be found in pubs, some shops, motorway service stations) and give you the option to not get. Watch out for Travelex branded ones, as they look like they shouldn't charge a fee, but they do However, at LHR, it's likely the ones next to forex places are bank operated, rather than Travelex operated, and so should still be free! Basically, you are more likely to encounter free ATMs than ones where you have to pay a fee
Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
Thank you so much for the info! Will not use Travelex...
Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:59 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've always had good luck using the Barclays ATM in the arrivals area of LHR T3.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
When you are asking for assistance in locating an ATM, remember that they are referred to as "CashPoints" in the UK. If you ask for an "ATM", you are likely to be met with a shrug. @:-)
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by LisaH
While in UK (especially at LHR), is there a particular branch of ATM that I should use over the others for favorable exchange rate and low fee? I'll be using my credit union ATM card.

Thanks!
Before you go, check to make sure that your credit union ATM card CAN be used in the UK. (My credit union ATM card cannot be used in Japan, Korea, and Canada, for some reason, so for peace of mind, I use my Citibank card when traveling abroad.)I know that other people have reported problems with using credit union cards in other countries, so it's better to check now rather than finding out the hard way.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ksandness
Before you go, check to make sure that your credit union ATM card CAN be used in the UK. (My credit union ATM card cannot be used in Japan, Korea, and Canada, for some reason, so for peace of mind, I use my Citibank card when traveling abroad.)I know that other people have reported problems with using credit union cards in other countries, so it's better to check now rather than finding out the hard way.
Excellent advice. Every tme that I will be using my ATM card or one of my credit cards in a country that I've never used them in before, I call and notify the issuer before I leave home. The last thing you need when you travel is to have your account locked because the charges look suspicious. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.