FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   5 hrs at LHR between flights: What to do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/2001496-5-hrs-lhr-between-flights-what-do.html)

narvik Dec 27, 2019 5:27 pm

5 hrs at LHR between flights: What to do?

I have a 5 hrs 20 minutes connection in a couple of weeks arriving with UA Polaris EWR-LHR (PP upgraded with PlusPoints to J) connecting to OSL with SAS. Traveling with my wife.

Not really familiar with LHR, so I was wondering what to do for 5+ hours at LHR?
I assume it won't make much sense to leave the airport?

What is the lounge situation? I have PriorityPass too and *G.
Lounge hopping? Seems a bit dreary...

Any suggestions or tips welcome.

(First UA flight in a few months...)

sannmann Dec 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31881876)
I have a 5 hrs 20 minutes connection in a couple of weeks arriving with UA Polaris EWR-LHR (PP upgraded with PlusPoints to J) connecting to OSL with SAS. Traveling with my wife.

Not really familiar with LHR, so I was wondering what to do for 5+ hours at LHR?

I’d recommend crossing through border control and visiting the Arrivals Lounge, where you can enjoy a shower and breakfast. After a while, head upstairs and go through security. Visit the Lufthansa lounge before your SK flight.

Repooc17 Dec 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Is there an earlier flight to OSL?

As far as lounges, there are many to choose from. Your flight (short-haul) is probably going to leave from the A concourse of T2. LH lounge is one level above.

On the B concourse side, AC and SQ are next to each other near gate B36. UA is further away near B46. Best UC by far.

You do have time to go into the city but it will be tight.

TomMM Dec 27, 2019 6:08 pm

It's only a 20 minute train ride to Paddington..

jonisflying Dec 27, 2019 6:33 pm

I agree on the train to Paddington, if you don't have luggage... then it might be a bit of a pain.
https://www.heathrowexpress.com/timetable/timetable

That might be good to go into the city for a meal!

The lounges are good, as others have noted, and the United club is really good (and worth the ~12 minute walk, given how much time you have).

There is also a fair bit of shopping in T2...
https://boutique.heathrow.com/en/retailer/terminal/2

Oh, and forgot to add, I'm flying there on Saturday the 4th - the 9PM EWR-LHR flight.

VRFast Dec 27, 2019 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 31881876)

That’s funny, I just did that flight combo a couple of weeks ago, EWR-LHR-OSL, but only had 4 hrs at LHR (also in Polaris). I did not try the arrivals lounge, however, I did the "trek" through security to get to the A gates, then reversed course and went back to the United Club close to gate B46 (terminal 2). Worth the walk, 10-15 minutes each way, got a shower and some food/drink. Definitely the nicest UC I have seen, and others here say the same.
Regarding security at LHR, I went through "fast track” showing my BP. Avoided a big queue.

ani90 Dec 27, 2019 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 31881976)
It's only a 20 minute train ride to Paddington..

And then xxx minutes to and from Paddington and wherever in London your final endpoint may be (hopefully it is not Paddington station or thereabout).

Personally I don't think you have enough time to make it worthwhile going into London. I agree with going to arrivals lounge or finding earlier flight to Oslo or alternatively (if possible) a SDC to a later LHR flight (assuming you are on an early flight)

Aussienarelle Dec 27, 2019 9:14 pm

I would catch the bus to Windsor. About 45 minutes by bus, or 15 minutes by taxi.

I think Windsor Castle may only be open in summer, but the town is quite nice and there are some good pubs and nice way to spend a couple of hours rather than sit at the airport.

Agree not enough time to get into the city and back.

WineCountryUA Dec 27, 2019 9:59 pm

Will move this to the UK forum where there are threads like https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-...over-tour.html

There is also in various forums
LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) and Arrivals Lounge Discussion Thread
Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2
T2 LHR lounges

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

USA_flyer Dec 27, 2019 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31882294)
I would catch the bus to Windsor. About 45 minutes by bus, or 15 minutes by taxi.

I think Windsor Castle may only be open in summer, but the town is quite nice and there are some good pubs and nice way to spend a couple of hours rather than sit at the airport.

There isn't enough time for Windsor either!

If the OP is desperate to get out of the airport, Runnymede is a short taxi ride away. It's where the magna carta was signed and has great historical significance even if it's not well known in our modern era.

:D! Dec 28, 2019 1:04 am

If this is a single ticket, no need to recheck bags or go through immigration and customs, only security. This should take less than 30 minutes. Then there are 5 lounges you can visit. SAS flights usually depart from the A gate area, but 3 of the Star Alliance lounges are in the B gate area which takes 10 minutes to get to by travelator (moving walkway) and 20 minutes to return by walking. So about 45 minutes in each lounge.

Next time you know to book a shorter layover and just visit your favourite lounge, or a longer layover so that you actually have time to visit London.

Scots_Al Dec 28, 2019 2:23 am

Agree that 5 hours between landing and push back does not give you enough time to clear immigration, meaningfully visit anywhere, re-clear security.

Yes, you could certainly get the train to Paddington, but why? The area around it is a hole. Yes you could get the underground somewhere else, but only really with enough time to pop your head above ground before heading back.

And let’s not start on the possibility of disruption to the trains!

PS - just be glad it’s 5 hours at LHR, and not 5 hours at LRH (as per thread title); having recently spent 1 hour at LRH airport, that is more than enough!

chanp Dec 28, 2019 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle (Post 31882294)

I'd second this, the castle is open most of the time unless there are some special events.

Call Windsor Cars, set price and decent cars.

C

narvik Dec 28, 2019 4:08 am

Thanks for all the replies, suggestions, and specific lounge recommendations & procedures.
Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Scots_Al (Post 31882689)
PS - just be glad it’s 5 hours at LHR, and not 5 hours at LRH (as per thread title); having recently spent 1 hour at LRH airport, that is more than enough!

:) Yeah, sorry for typo.

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 31882594)
Next time you know to book a shorter layover and just visit your favourite lounge, or a longer layover so that you actually have time to visit London.

Aye, for sure!
The not-so-favourable routing was a compromise for having the upgrades to J on the EWR-LHR leg clear at booking.

UKtravelbear Dec 28, 2019 5:39 am

I'd second (or is thet 3rd ot 4th?) a visit to Windsor even for just a wander for some fresh air

OP and his good lady have plenty of time to get there, have a wander and get back for some lounge time.

If Windsor seems too far away then the tube to Hounslow would suffice even if just for a walk aroudd the park near the tube station and a bite to eat.

All this on the assumption the OP arrives at a tourist suitable time. If they land at 6AM then the airport is the best place to be!