LHR layover tour

Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

LHR layover tour

Looking for some advice on the best way to spend some hours during a layover at LHR. We are arriving at 08:35 after an overnight flight and departing again at 19:00 on another long overnight flight. I've never been to London before so looking to see some of the highlights but it is absolutely necessary that we don't miss our connection at 19:00. I think our bags will be checked through so won't have to worry about that.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldenstarburst
Looking for some advice on the best way to spend some hours during a layover at LHR. We are arriving at 08:35 after an overnight flight and departing again at 19:00 on another long overnight flight. I've never been to London before so looking to see some of the highlights but it is absolutely necessary that we don't miss our connection at 19:00. I think our bags will be checked through so won't have to worry about that.
Several other threads on this topic
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...%22hours-in%22Take the tube into the city. The tube is part of London and cheaper than some other option
London Airports transfer FAQ: LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN, SOU, SEN
London Airports transfer FAQ: London Heathrow (LHR)

There are red double decker tourist hop on-hop off buses that do a loop of the main London attractions.
Example (there are others)
https://www.theoriginaltour.com/
https://www.theoriginaltour.com/p/ti...original-tour/

Edit
Depending on your passport, etc you may need a UK visa

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 18, 2018 at 10:01 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Before planning on anything I’d check that your bags will be checked through.

if you booked all on one ticket yes but not always if it was 2 separate ones. It can be airline dependent as well.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can you give us some details of your booking? As others have said, if you are on separate tickets, you probably won't have your luggage checked through. As to what to do in London, there are dozens of threads on that. Enjoy!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:18 am
Original Poster

What details would be needed to be helpful? We are arriving on Air Canada flight 848 at 08:35am and departing on Air Canada (code shared with South African Airways) flight 6852 at 19:00, all booked together as one flight.

Also, we are Canadian citizens so as far as I'm aware no visas will be necessary.

I have been looking into "London Magical Tours" as they seem to be the easiest as they will pick up and drop off back at the airport but it is a little expensive.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:29 am

What details would be needed to be helpful? We are arriving on Air Canada flight 848 at 08:35am and departing on Air Canada (code shared with South African Airways) flight 6852 at 19:00, all booked together as one flight.

Also, we are Canadian citizens so as far as I'm aware no visas will be necessary.

I have been looking into "London Magical Tours" as they seem to be the easiest as they will pick up and drop off back at the airport but it is a little expensive.
As long as your bags will be checked thru you can easily head into the city on the Tube. Hope on the Piccadilly line towards Cockfosters (only line at LHR) and hop off at Leicester Square. Plenty to see/eat there. That is also the starting point for some walking tours, which could be nice after a long flight. We've done a Harry Potter walking tour from there with a company called Strawberry Tours. The tour itself is free, you just tip the guide at the end. Entertaining 2 hours seeing the city and sights.

You could also head over to Covent Garden and explore the area, nice market and again good food.

Then a simply tube ride back to LHR. For planning it's about 50 minutes from LHR to Leicester Square on the tube.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You don't need a tour to pick you up at the airport; the public transport in London will take you to central locations easily and probably faster than by road, If you want to take a tour once you're in central London, a hop-on/hop-off tour or something else, that's up to you, but don't pay extra to sit in traffic on the road from the airport and, far worse, back to the airport.

Have a think about things you want to do in central london: museum, historical site, foodie things, shopping, walk around outdoors, London Eye, etc. Then choose a couple of outdoor and a couple of indoor options, perhaps one with more walking and one with less walking for each. On the day, decide whichever suits the weather and your personal mood best, since this is England and the weather can turn to rain at any time. Get in the tube around 16:30 in central London to return to Heathrow for a relaxed security and boarding experience.

If your bags are not checked through (they should be, on one ticket, but in case they are not) then add on these steps: Get your bags after immigration, take them to the left luggage service which is available in all terminals and leave them there. Leave London 10 minutes earlier and go and get your bags to check them in before you leave.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:38 am

Looks like you've probably got 4-5 of clear time to spend in London. Your best bet is jumping on hop on hop off tours. There is a pick up from Green Park station. You can get a tube from heathrow to green park, no changes required. Tickets can be bought either online or at any boarding points. Just do a few rounds on that bus, do a boat tour, grab a bite to eat and finish up your tour at green park again and get the tube back to heathrow.
Mwenenzi and LondonElite like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.