Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Would you pay for EDI fast-track in Easter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs

Going to be flying from EDI next week (Easter Hols) at 14:00. Not BA sadly so won't have native fast-track security.
Travelling for business I've never really seen ques at EDI but I've never been during holidays like this. Will it be awful? Will cost £13.50 to get 3 of through Fast-track. Worth it?
And I guess is anyone has any experience same question for Tenerife Sur Airport on the way back. worth it?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just get there 10 minutes earlier and save yourself £13.50.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Personally I wouldn't at that time if day and I'd just arrive 10 minutes earlier than planned.
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Misco60
Just get there 10 minutes earlier and save yourself £13.50.
If I knew it were a 10min queue I would for sure do that. Just I've heard "horror stories" at holiday times. Cira 40mins+
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Worth noting that the website: https://www.edinburghairport.com/ publishes the live security queue times. On the desktop version it is in the purple info bar on the right hand side.

You could monitor that on the day to give you some confidence about expected wait times, maybe opting to buy fast track on the day if they get too high for you.

(And I expect this will get moved to the UK & Ireland forum since as you note, no BA connection)
PETER01, cupsandsaucers and aidy like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
How times change. I used to work for RBS and travel there weekly.

Helped I admit by a flexible ticket and planes every hour I used to arrive regularly at the airport 10 mins before the flight go through security, board etc off. I never missed one which was a surprise! Would I do it on a non flexible ticket with the next flight the following day. No way - I am now Mr 90 minutes and there will now be painful security and a list of airline rules to stop it. Shame !
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Worth noting that the website: https://www.edinburghairport.com/ publishes the live security queue times. On the desktop version it is in the purple info bar on the right hand side.

You could monitor that on the day to give you some confidence about expected wait times, maybe opting to buy fast track on the day if they get too high for you.

(And I expect this will get moved to the UK & Ireland forum since as you note, no BA connection)
Brilliant!, thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:50 am

Wouldn't dream of ever paying for fast-track security.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
I think EDI has one of the best security I have ever seen in any airport - brilliantly organised. If only pax would sort themselves out prior to getting to the top of the line.... yes you need to take off belt/watch/jacket/wallet and then take forever to complete task!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:59 am

I wouldn’t bother. Peak times are early morning and late afternoon, rest of the time it should be pretty quick.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Wouldn't dream of ever paying for fast-track security.
Surely it depends on (i) how bad the standard security queues are, and (ii) how much you value your time?

I've never paid cash for fast-track security, but I can certainly imagine circumstances in which I might.
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by FEMW
I think EDI has one of the best security I have ever seen in any airport - brilliantly organised. If only pax would sort themselves out prior to getting to the top of the line.... yes you need to take off belt/watch/jacket/wallet and then take forever to complete task!
And yet it’s a whole lot worse than the old security.

I actively avoid Edinburgh where possible these days, mainly because of the security, I don’t appreciate getting barked at while being screened for asking to put all my trays through together, and the new domestic arrivals exit is a joke.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is one those slightly mysterious posts, which in the absence of a precise date makes it rather difficult to give advice. But if vague information will suffice then broadly speaking the biggest peaks at EDI are in the morning before 10 hrs, and sometimes the evenings around 16hrs to 18 hrs, particularly towards the end of the week. Even then, 20 minutes would be unusually bad, the days of huge delays at EDI - when the current main hall first opened - seem to be largely gone. Usually the middle and end parts of the day are fine, as a very general rule. Some parking deals include Fast Track and/or lounge access.

TFS is generally fairly fast as well, I would assume it takes 15 minutes, but it would normally be quicker. Swing towards the side lines if you can, the central ones seem to be the busier ones.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by FEMW
I've only flown out of EDI half a dozen times but each time the presence of the standard security requirements at the belt seems to take a frustrating number of pax by surprise.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Horatio
I've only flown out of EDI half a dozen times but each time the presence of the standard security requirements at the belt seems to take a frustrating number of pax by surprise.
Happens everywhere I think - STN is my usual and the holidays always bring people with full size shampoo despite the fact that that requirement has been in place for what - 15 years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.