Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How much time to clear immigration at LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus

I am arriving into Heathrow from Canada on Sunday, May 26, at 10am. I would like to catch the 14:22 train to Paris from St Pancras Station. Any idea how much time I should allow to clear customs and to get from LHR to St Pancras. Eurostar is telling me to arrive by 13:15 at the latest. Is this enough time?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
A few questions, which airline is it AC or BA (maybe the 99).

what passport do you hold?

what class are you travelling?

do you have checked luggage

we will be able to give better advise with the above
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply, Aidy. I hold a US passport, will be traveling in economy, and will not have any checked baggage.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Ok so!

Not knowing the airline line I can’t comment on the terminal but it’ll either be on AC (T2) or BA (T5), on economy with no status.

This means uour main hurdle will be the immigration queue, it can be between 15 to 90 mins, however on a Sunday morning it should be on the lower side!

With no checked luggage no time wasted there!

Next steps how are you travelling between LHR and St Pancras

Choices would be
Underground (goes direct to St Pancras) however over an hour
Heathrow express to Paddington then the underground to St Pancras (can’t give a time some others on here will help though)
A car (same I can’t give times as I always take the underground or drive my own car)

say no delays and worst situation in immigration you leave the airport at 12:00, this gives you 1:52 to get to St Pancras is travelling standard or 2:12 if going business (check in closure times are 30 and 10 mins respectively)

This is easily doable, if there is no delays on the flight, immigration is not any worse, and traffic holding you up too!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll be flying Air Canada and arriving, I believe, at T3. Does this change anything?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by travelitis
Thank you! I'll be flying Air Canada and arriving, I believe, at T3. Does this change anything?
Air Canada will arrive into T2.

The posts above give you a good idea of the options. I would personally take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then the underground to St Pancras. This will be more expensive than the underground direct, but is quicker, given your onward train to Paris.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
T2 won't be very different from T3 as Immigration waits are unpredictable everywhere. By my calculations, and assuming your flight is on time, you should have plenty of time to make the connection. I would plan on taking the Tube to St.P - it's cheaper, it's direct and it's a shorter walk at LHR. However, if you are running late, then do HEX to Paddington and change onto the Tube (or taxi) there - it's massively more expensive but should save 15 minutes off the travel time, albeit adding significantly to the hassle factor.

If the plane is late and you are running a little tight on time, HEX plus taxi is probably about the same time as taxi the whole way, so I don't see the latter as being a viable back up. Of course, the other possibility is a cheap back up flight to Paris the following morning - you can usually find fares so low that they are essentially throwaways.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
The OP sounds a lot like one of my questions!
LOL
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Would make more sense to fly to Paris since you are already at the airport
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:51 am

That's a bank holiday weekend. Given the miserable progress with the Great Western electrification project, I'd assume every chance of yet another engineering closure that weekend. I wouldn't plan on the Express train running (or perhaps running with reduced frequency)
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Would make more sense to fly to Paris since you are already at the airport
But not cheaper. Current Eurostar cheapest price for May 26 at 14:22 is 44 GBP. Cheapest flight on that date after 10am from LHR is 74 GBP and only in the evening + OP still has to reach the city center from CDG or ORY which will add another cost (cheapest option around 9 GBP). Strangely enough, 2nd cheapest option is Iberia via MAD

So as long as the transport cost within London is less than 35-40 GBP, the train is the cheaper option.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:58 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I almost exclusively book advance purchase train tickets, which in my case leave from Liverpool Street - so a very similar travelling time from Heathrow. I also don’t need to be at the station more than a few minutes before the train departs, unlike the OP. In my case, to replace a missed train booking on the day would probably more than double the cost, even taking account of transferring part of the value, and that would be to travel in standard class rather than First.

My personal risk is generally - where possible - to allow around four hours between scheduled arrival at LHR and the time I need to be at the station - 30 minutes to get off the plane and through Heathrow assuming a T5C, T3 with one of the more remote gates or T2B arrival, then 90 minutes to the platform at Liverpool Street, allowing me about 90 minutes of flight delay before I really have a problem and need to pay out for the Heathrow Express. The very least I’d consider is 2.5 hours.

The OP will most likely arrive at T2B with AC, with an immediate 15 minute walk to get to the main terminal, so I’d be allowing at least 60 minutes to clear the airport, and with greater immigration unpredictability more likely 90. Tube trains are more frequent than from T5, so it ought to be possible to be at St Pancras, having walked through from King’s Cross, in about 80 minutes.

So, that’s 2h50 minutes gone even with an on-time landing. If the need is to arrive by 1:15pm, that really does not allow much margin for flight delays.

Unless the OP has a very high tolerance of risk at the very least he or she should be planning to pay for the Heathrow Express - assuming it’s running.
travelitis likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
3 hours is probably sufficient time on a Sunday morning. I usually block 90 minutes from landing at LHR until I get to the HEX or tube station. HEX-to St. Pancras won't take 90 minutes so in the absence of a significant flight or rail delay you should have sufficient but not plenty of time.
travelitis likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re the Hex, if the OP is traveling on a Sunday,a 90-day advance weekend Hex ticket is only 5.50 instead of the usual daylight robbery fares. Notwithstanding the risk of engineering works as mentioned by rcspeirs, the OP might want to bear that in mind in his planning. Af 90 days out, we should normally know whether engineering works are planned or not.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:32 pm

I was in a similar situation before but opted for the 431pm Eurostar just to be safe. I could have made the 215pm train in the end.

i arrived on BA282 from LAX which was scheduled for 1055am. Got on the jet bridge at 1115am, by the time I started queuing for immigration it was close to 1130. Took about an hour due to the queues and also immigration officers started going for their lunch breaks (it was only about 6 counters open when I was cleared).

Tube took about 1.5hrs, got the king cross at about 130pm. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.