Pulling over for an ambulance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pulling over for an ambulance

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 9:38 am

The Highway Code rule 219:

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or traffic officer and incident support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
As it happens I watched this video a couple of weeks ago which shows some differences;

Old May 25, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It is a very serious traffic offense in Canada. In Ontario, a first offender faces three demerit points and a fine up to $2,000. A second offense within 5 years and you could do 6 months in jail. We also have a "move over" law which requires you to switch to a further lane if possible when going by an emergency vehicle or tow truck that is on the shoulder with its lights flashing.

Road safety: Emergency vehicles
When I first moved to ON and perused the traffic manual, I was really surprised by how strict this was. I can think of numerous situations in the UK where immediately stopping for an emergency vehicle was the most unhelpful thing I could've done.

I've seen many British people living elsewhere in North America with similar reactions to this requirement.

Originally Posted by rpjs
Motorists often do that in the UK in such circumstances, but if they're caught doing so on a red light camera, they have no defence unless they can prove they were ordered to do so by a police officer in uniform.
Absolutely. It's a sad situation, but triggering a red light camera for an emergency vehicle is a bad idea.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It is the law that you must comply with the Highway Code's instructions - equally, you must not pull over for the emergency services if it's not safe to do so.
This is a common misconception. The Highway Code isn't a legal document. It often references the Road Traffic Act, which is, but much of it does not.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Skatering

This is a common misconception. The Highway Code isn't a legal document. It often references the Road Traffic Act, which is, but much of it does not.
True but where the Highway Code uses MUST or MUST NOT, it references a law and you must comply. Where it uses more suggestive language, then it's an encouragement rather than a requirement. The preamble to the booklet makes this distinction clear. Clearly the majority (perhaps all) of the requirements it references are to the Road Traffic Act, or similar but the Highway Code itself is not a law.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Absolutely. It's a sad situation, but triggering a red light camera for an emergency vehicle is a bad idea.
Also a bus lane camera, of which there are many (especially in London). The Metropolitan Police advice is essentially not to enter the bus lane yourself but stop or slow so that the police vehicle can enter the bus lane instead. Defending yourself against the penalty for entering a bus lane can be very difficult even if you were yielding to an emergency vehicle.

The best course of action to assist emergency vehicles these days is to stay on a piece of road you're allowed to use and make it easier (by slowing, stopping, changing lane, maintaining speed) for emergency vehicles to pass you.

If the regulatory and enforcement authorities want road users to behave otherwise, they must align the incentives correctly.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
The best course of action to assist emergency vehicles these days is to stay on a piece of road you're allowed to use and make it easier (by slowing, stopping, changing lane, maintaining speed) for emergency vehicles to pass you.
And
1) indicating where you're going.
2) slowing down or stopping until you know where the emergency vehicle is coming from/driving. FWIW they could be driving at high speeds on the wrong side of the road.

---

I've witnessed a panda car blocking another panda car. The first car had plenty of room to move aside but didn't while their colleagues in the second car desperately tried to get past.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond

Sometimes stopping for an emergency vehicle is the most efficient method of assisting it. Other times, it's not.
it can be an absolute pain in the arse when somebody stops in a poor place! Response training (the blues and twos training) covers anticipating where people might pull over and reacting accordingly (easing off slightly so they can make the layby, etc), but there's no accounting for the stupidity of some drivers (and that includes both sections of the public and also some emergency services drivers who don't adhere to the training)!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
This wouldn't happen in the UK, everyone keeps moving unless it's not possible for the ambulance to pass without other vehicles stopping.
id prefer people give some kind of obvious indication that they're aware of my presence, whether that be by indicating nearside and slowing, or coming to a stop where safe to do so... stopping somewhere safe is certainly much preferred, on an appropriate road - on a dual carriageway or motorway just indicate and move across.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.