Wiki Posts
Search

Best Fish & Chips in LHR?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Hm this is not what I was expecting at all. I am arriving at 1900 from SNN and staying at the Hyatt Place LHR. I won't be going anywhere for the evening except the airport and the hotel. Won't be going into London until the following morning. Would have expected there would be places in LHR to grab dinner before going to hotel (I have never been in LHR, only LGW). Sounding like that might not be the case.
Heathrow Fish and Chips is just down Bath Road from your hotel. I haven't been so no recommendation; you could look up ratings online or ask at your hotel. The aforementioned Hot Spot I can recommend; it is a mile or so away, you could uber over there and back.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If you do just want a bite at T2, your choice (other than coffee shop fare) is restricted to the Flying Chariot, a Wetherspoons pub, back upstairs in landside departures.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/middlesex/the-flying-chariot-before-security-terminal-2
Old May 24, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Hm this is not what I was expecting at all. I am arriving at 1900 from SNN and staying at the Hyatt Place LHR. I won't be going anywhere for the evening except the airport and the hotel. Won't be going into London until the following morning. Would have expected there would be places in LHR to grab dinner before going to hotel (I have never been in LHR, only LGW). Sounding like that might not be the case.
It surely isn't the case at LHR. Most people arriving at LHR in the evening want to head to their ultimate destination as quickly as possible, not stop off at the airport for a meal. The hotels are mostly further away from the terminals than at LGW, so people stopping overnight near the airport want to get checked into their rooms instead of hanging round the terminals, and then use the hotel restaurants. LHR is a money-making enterprise, not a public service - if the owners believed there was a serious demand for evening dining landside then it would become available. As it is resources are concentrated airside (where arriving passengers can't go unless they have a boarding pass for a same-day departure).

LGW doesn't in fact have a great selection of pubs/restaurants landside at all, and I've tried all of them. North Terminal has just the Nicholas Culpepper pub, South Terminal has a Wetherspoons (just like LHR T2 has) and a branch of Giraffe. That's it. None of them offer great fish and chips, and allthere is otherwise is coffee shops.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My last English bought fish supper experience was a rather disappointing one.....purchased in Cromer.

I may be biased but I find the further north you go in the UK the better they get. Could it be the colder weather that makes them taste better?
Scots_Al likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
My last English bought fish supper experience was a rather disappointing one.....purchased in Cromer.

I may be biased but I find the further north you go in the UK the better they get. Could it be the colder weather that makes them taste better?
That and the haddock you’ll get rather than cod.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scots_Al

That and the haddock you’ll get rather than cod.
^
No haddock here so I make my own fish and chips using merluza (hake). Even though I say it myself the hake makes a pretty good substitute. What I do miss is the malt vinegar so have to make do with the white stuff. Great potatoes available for making chips though.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:47 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Try going further east. You'll get a fine fish supper in Aldeburgh.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:44 pm

If I was near LHR or able to leave the airport easily, I might hop a bus (like the 280) in the free zone. Get off near the Radisson on Bath Road and head up New Street(?) for a block or so to The Pheasant.. Pub menu and a restaurant upstairs. I trust it is still there...
Old May 28, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Andy33
North Terminal has just the Nicholas Culpepper pub
I had one of the worst meals I've ever had in this pub, stayed in the Premier Inn across the road and wanted to get out of the hotel. Wish I hadn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.