FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Any Heathrow hotels with free shuttle? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1901933-any-heathrow-hotels-free-shuttle.html)

cloudeleven Apr 2, 2018 2:08 pm

Any Heathrow hotels with free shuttle?

Are there any Heathrow hotels with a free shuttle, i.e. the hotel's own shuttle that runs regularly and automatically to Heathrow and picks up guests going to the hotel, for free? Where you don't have to call the hotel and request a shuttle? Thanks.

UKtravelbear Apr 2, 2018 2:19 pm

No.

Hotels are not permitted to run their own shuttles to/from LHR.

The closest to a dedicated shuttle bus is the paid for hoppa bus.

If you say which hotel you are staying at you might get suggestions on the easiest and cheapest way to get there

Gagravarr Apr 2, 2018 2:33 pm

No hotels at Heathrow are permitted dedicated shuttles.

A fair number of the Heathrow hotels are within the Heathrow free travel area, where the local red London buses are free to use. Just pick any of the hotels shown on the free travel area map - https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...d_Heathrow.pdf - and use one of the buses shown for them on the map to get there for free. No need to ring a hotel or wait for a specific shuttle, just hop on the next suitable local bus for free to generally pretty much outside your hotel :)

The _Banking_Scot Apr 2, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi,

There is a Sofitel ( Connected by a walkway to Terminal 5)

There is also a Hilton at Terminal 4 ( connected by a walkway)

Otherwise it is as per UKtravelbear and Gagravarr

Regrds

TBS

atsak Apr 2, 2018 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gagravarr (Post 29594837)
No hotels at Heathrow are permitted dedicated shuttles.

A fair number of the Heathrow hotels are within the Heathrow free travel area, where the local red London buses are free to use. Just pick any of the hotels shown on the free travel area map - https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...d_Heathrow.pdf - and use one of the buses shown for them on the map to get there for free. No need to ring a hotel or wait for a specific shuttle, just hop on the next suitable local bus for free to generally pretty much outside your hotel :)

Second vote for this. Just told the bus driver we were going to one of the hotels in the free travel area, he said no problem. Was very easy.

Efrem Apr 4, 2018 7:31 pm

The information desk at the bus station has a book that lists all the hotels within the free zone and the numbers of the bus lines that run to them. Then you can wait at the right bay, or if there are several bus lines that go to your hotel and they use more than one bay, position yourself at a spot where you can see which comes first. (You don't want to board a bus that will go east on Bath Road when your hotel is west.) It's much easier coming back - just go to the bus stop on the opposite side of the road from where you got off the first one, and board the first bus that comes along.

scottishpoet Apr 5, 2018 3:49 am

No free shuttle buses but plenty of free regular buses which will stop close to a number of hotels along the bath road.

KARFA Apr 5, 2018 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 29603921)
The information desk at the bus station has a book that lists all the hotels within the free zone and the numbers of the bus lines that run to them. Then you can wait at the right bay, or if there are several bus lines that go to your hotel and they use more than one bay, position yourself at a spot where you can see which comes first. (You don't want to board a bus that will go east on Bath Road when your hotel is west.) It's much easier coming back - just go to the bus stop on the opposite side of the road from where you got off the first one, and board the first bus that comes along.

Be careful, some of the TfL buses along Bath Road do not go to the terminals! It should be obvious though since if heading to T2/3 or T5 the bus should be marked as terminating at Heathrow Central or Terminal 5.

As well as the link in post 3 there are some bus spider maps on the TfL site here https://tfl.gov.uk/maps_/bus-spider-maps?Query=heathrow

SBT May 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Free Bus (or Hoppa) with Luggage

If you have a fair amount of luggage (25" roller bag, briefcase, carry on bag) is the free bus feasible? How about the Hoppa Bus?

stc May 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by SBT (Post 29740853)
If you have a fair amount of luggage (25" roller bag, briefcase, carry on bag) is the free bus feasible? How about the Hoppa Bus?

I have done the free TFL bus with 2 pieces of checked luggage and 2 carry-ons. YMMV.

MSPeconomist May 10, 2018 10:22 pm

In addition to being free within the designated zone and not requiring reservations, the public buses tend to run more frequently than the Hoppa shuttle.

:D! May 11, 2018 5:05 am

Originally Posted by SBT (Post 29740853)

The Hoppa Bus will always be feasible since its purpose is to move hotel guests to and from the airport.

As for the free local buses, it depends on the time, at 5-6am when many airport workers are arriving, they can get full and you may need to wait for 1 or 2 buses.

stc May 11, 2018 8:45 am

Originally Posted by :D! (Post 29741735)
The Hoppa Bus will always be feasible since its purpose is to move hotel guests to and from the airport.

As for the free local buses, it depends on the time, at 5-6am when many airport workers are arriving, they can get full and you may need to wait for 1 or 2 buses.

Wouldn't you be going in the opposite direction form the airport workers when you arrive at LHR in the morning???

:D! May 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by stc (Post 29742376)
Wouldn't you be going in the opposite direction form the airport workers when you arrive at LHR in the morning???

No direction was specified, I assumed perhaps wrongly that the poster was asking about getting to the airport, since the usual reason for staying at an airport hotel would be an early departure or late arrival. Would expect most visitors arriving in the morning to head to a hotel closer to London.

flatlander May 12, 2018 3:09 pm

I've never had a full bus to or from a hotel to Heathrow, morning or evening. You can get luggage on them, usually the space for wheelchairs/baby prams is free and you can stand your luggage there. Of course if a wheelchair user does board, you must yield to them (baby prams can take their own chances in my opinion). I have no problem using them with a large and small checked bag and a carryon (on my back).

The TFL (and free) bus schedules can be a bit irregular before about 0630 or after about 22:00, unless it's a route with a 24-hour schedule. At those times I would consider the Hoppa instead.