Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Any Heathrow hotels with free shuttle?

Any Heathrow hotels with free shuttle?

Old Apr 2, 18, 3:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LIT
Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
Posts: 243
Any Heathrow hotels with free shuttle?

Are there any Heathrow hotels with a free shuttle, i.e. the hotel's own shuttle that runs regularly and automatically to Heathrow and picks up guests going to the hotel, for free? Where you don't have to call the hotel and request a shuttle? Thanks.
cloudeleven is offline  
Old Apr 2, 18, 3:19 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,956
No.

Hotels are not permitted to run their own shuttles to/from LHR.

The closest to a dedicated shuttle bus is the paid for hoppa bus.

If you say which hotel you are staying at you might get suggestions on the easiest and cheapest way to get there
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Apr 2, 18, 3:33 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,715
No hotels at Heathrow are permitted dedicated shuttles.

A fair number of the Heathrow hotels are within the Heathrow free travel area, where the local red London buses are free to use. Just pick any of the hotels shown on the free travel area map - https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...d_Heathrow.pdf - and use one of the buses shown for them on the map to get there for free. No need to ring a hotel or wait for a specific shuttle, just hop on the next suitable local bus for free to generally pretty much outside your hotel
Gagravarr is online now  
Old Apr 2, 18, 3:41 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,215
Hi,

There is a Sofitel ( Connected by a walkway to Terminal 5)

There is also a Hilton at Terminal 4 ( connected by a walkway)

Otherwise it is as per UKtravelbear and Gagravarr

Regrds

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is online now  
Old Apr 2, 18, 3:47 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YYZ
Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Platinum UA Gold NEXUS
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by Gagravarr View Post
No hotels at Heathrow are permitted dedicated shuttles.

A fair number of the Heathrow hotels are within the Heathrow free travel area, where the local red London buses are free to use. Just pick any of the hotels shown on the free travel area map - https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...d_Heathrow.pdf - and use one of the buses shown for them on the map to get there for free. No need to ring a hotel or wait for a specific shuttle, just hop on the next suitable local bus for free to generally pretty much outside your hotel
Second vote for this. Just told the bus driver we were going to one of the hotels in the free travel area, he said no problem. Was very easy.
atsak is offline  
Old Apr 4, 18, 8:31 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 22,128
The information desk at the bus station has a book that lists all the hotels within the free zone and the numbers of the bus lines that run to them. Then you can wait at the right bay, or if there are several bus lines that go to your hotel and they use more than one bay, position yourself at a spot where you can see which comes first. (You don't want to board a bus that will go east on Bath Road when your hotel is west.) It's much easier coming back - just go to the bus stop on the opposite side of the road from where you got off the first one, and board the first bus that comes along.
Efrem is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 4:49 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 2,446
No free shuttle buses but plenty of free regular buses which will stop close to a number of hotels along the bath road.
scottishpoet is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:42 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 26,851
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
The information desk at the bus station has a book that lists all the hotels within the free zone and the numbers of the bus lines that run to them. Then you can wait at the right bay, or if there are several bus lines that go to your hotel and they use more than one bay, position yourself at a spot where you can see which comes first. (You don't want to board a bus that will go east on Bath Road when your hotel is west.) It's much easier coming back - just go to the bus stop on the opposite side of the road from where you got off the first one, and board the first bus that comes along.
Be careful, some of the TfL buses along Bath Road do not go to the terminals! It should be obvious though since if heading to T2/3 or T5 the bus should be marked as terminating at Heathrow Central or Terminal 5.

As well as the link in post 3 there are some bus spider maps on the TfL site here https://tfl.gov.uk/maps_/bus-spider-maps?Query=heathrow
KARFA is online now  
Old May 10, 18, 10:02 pm
  #9  
SBT
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 52
Free Bus (or Hoppa) with Luggage

If you have a fair amount of luggage (25" roller bag, briefcase, carry on bag) is the free bus feasible? How about the Hoppa Bus?
SBT is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 11:17 pm
  #10  
stc
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newton Centre, MA, USA
Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Posts: 2,108
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
If you have a fair amount of luggage (25" roller bag, briefcase, carry on bag) is the free bus feasible? How about the Hoppa Bus?
I have done the free TFL bus with 2 pieces of checked luggage and 2 carry-ons. YMMV.
stc is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 11:22 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 85,251
In addition to being free within the designated zone and not requiring reservations, the public buses tend to run more frequently than the Hoppa shuttle.
Antonio8069 likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 6:05 am
  #12  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,471
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
If you have a fair amount of luggage (25" roller bag, briefcase, carry on bag) is the free bus feasible? How about the Hoppa Bus?
The Hoppa Bus will always be feasible since its purpose is to move hotel guests to and from the airport.

As for the free local buses, it depends on the time, at 5-6am when many airport workers are arriving, they can get full and you may need to wait for 1 or 2 buses.
:D! is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 9:45 am
  #13  
stc
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newton Centre, MA, USA
Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Posts: 2,108
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
The Hoppa Bus will always be feasible since its purpose is to move hotel guests to and from the airport.

As for the free local buses, it depends on the time, at 5-6am when many airport workers are arriving, they can get full and you may need to wait for 1 or 2 buses.
Wouldn't you be going in the opposite direction form the airport workers when you arrive at LHR in the morning???
stc is offline  
Old May 11, 18, 3:37 pm
  #14  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aberdeen, Bella Vista and Croydon
Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 4,471
Originally Posted by stc View Post
Wouldn't you be going in the opposite direction form the airport workers when you arrive at LHR in the morning???
No direction was specified, I assumed perhaps wrongly that the poster was asking about getting to the airport, since the usual reason for staying at an airport hotel would be an early departure or late arrival. Would expect most visitors arriving in the morning to head to a hotel closer to London.
:D! is offline  
Old May 12, 18, 4:09 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Flatland
Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Posts: 5,469
I've never had a full bus to or from a hotel to Heathrow, morning or evening. You can get luggage on them, usually the space for wheelchairs/baby prams is free and you can stand your luggage there. Of course if a wheelchair user does board, you must yield to them (baby prams can take their own chances in my opinion). I have no problem using them with a large and small checked bag and a carryon (on my back).

The TFL (and free) bus schedules can be a bit irregular before about 0630 or after about 22:00, unless it's a route with a 24-hour schedule. At those times I would consider the Hoppa instead.
flatlander is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread