Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VAT Refund for PBS dependant visa holder

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

VAT Refund for PBS dependant visa holder

Hi all - I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out an answer to this question. I've asked HMRC and they said 'this is a grey area and we don't have guidance for this'. So i thought if anyone here has encountered a similar situation, maybe they can help me out.

I hold a Tier 2 work visa. My wife currently holds a PBS Dependent visa. She does not work or study in the UK, but she does spend 5 months in a year in the UK to visit me here.

Can she claim VAT refund?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
what is 'PBS dependent'

Are the goods being removed from the UK permanently leaving the country? The goods removed also should be new and not used as well.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
what is 'PBS dependent'

Are the goods being removed from the UK permanently leaving the country? The goods removed also should be new and not used as well.
Officially defined as 'the dependant family members of people who have, or are applying for, visas under Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4 or Tier 5'
Basically means because I have a UK working visa, and she is my wife, she gets a visa that allows her to be in the UK with me.

And yes the goods are removed from UK permanently, they will stay in Indonesia. And yes the goods are new.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As a UK citizen and resident with a (second) home outside the EU, I have obtained a VAT refund for items bought for my second home.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As a UK citizen and resident with a (second) home outside the EU, I have obtained a VAT refund for items bought for my second home.
Thanks for this - how did the customs officer handle your refund if I may ask, since you have a British passport? E.g. did they ask you how much time you spend in the UK and asked you to prove it?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: MUCCI
You passport proves nothing about where you live.
Many British citizens live outside the customs union, etc.

Sometimes they ask for anything else you have, majority of times they just stamp it when you say where you live.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.