Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Gatwick rail replacement bus - how bad will it be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

OK, I've just discovered that there's a rail replacement scheduled for a day I'm due to fly into Gatwick.

Previously it had only been the Southern trains showing as cancelled and I was going to get the Great Western to Reading - but I digress....

Anyway, just how bad will this be? Should I be making alternative arrangements to get somewhere like Reigate, or will the bus service be running efficiently? The timetable suggests 4 buses an hour to Redhill, which I think for a Sunday lunchtime will be wholly inadequate.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:10 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That does sound a little tight - don't know how many buses are going to be running, though.

Which date is it, and where are you trying to get to? There may be other creative options...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:15 am

I think the Thameslink trains into London Bridge / Blackfriars / St Pancras etc are still running (at least according to current notices) - could you use one of those and then get the tube to Paddington for onward journey to Reading?

Last edited by Ldnn1; Feb 5, 2018 at 4:29 am
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's hard to advise on what alternatives trains might be running when you don't give the date of your travel.

But Rail Replacement Buses are generally well run. Network Rail and the Train operators have a good idea of how many people are likely to travel and so ensure the service matches that.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Date is March 11th. National Rail shows everything into London being by bus to Redhill. Certainly not wedded to having to go via Reading - can do London as well. It's just that when I first looked, the GWR services were fine but the Southern ones were showing as rail replacement.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:35 am

Yup, only trains running are a shuttle service from Gatwick to Brighton. However, GWR have their own shuttle to Reigate, which may be rather less crowded than the general shuttle to Redhill (although the Reading service appears to be going to/from Redhill):

Realtime Trains | Departures from Gatwick Airport
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Stut - I can quite imagine the carnage at Redhill, hence explaining why FGW would be pushing passengers to Reigate - but their own website makes no mention of the alternative bus option.

Is it possible from the link above to figure out what time the bus leaves Gatwick - it only seems to show arrival times??
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:56 am

Ah, the layout's not always the clearest - you have to look for "Starts Here" on the left, and "Reigate" on the right. Try this link:

Realtime Trains | Departures from Gatwick Airport

with these connnections:

Realtime Trains | Departures from Reigate
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for that - of course it's typical that my flight lands at midday and I'm HBO....

Regardless of how I cut this, it's going to be a slow journey home!
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:27 am

Would any of the National Express coaches be of any use to you? I don't know where you're headed from Reading, but there are lunchtime coaches from Gatwick direct to High Wycombe, Hemel, MK, the West Mids and, of course, Heathrow.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Would any of the National Express coaches be of any use to you? I don't know where you're headed from Reading, but there are lunchtime coaches from Gatwick direct to High Wycombe, Hemel, MK, the West Mids and, of course, Heathrow.
Never knew there was a bus to High Wycombe, but no, unfortunately that doesn't really help. I could go to Oxford, but that takes 2.5hrs, the bus leaves at 12.20pm (so right on the line for me making it) and I still have to get the last 20 miles or so from there.

Oh well, at least I'll get a good chance to go through the Sunday papers!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:35 am

Although the timetable shows only four buses per hour, on a busy route like this is more likely to be a continuous 'fill next bus and go'. Additionally, there are no trains the weekend before (4 March) so one would hope any hiccups in the bus shuttle would have been worked through by then. Not an experience to look forward to though....
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As we all know, "Rail Replacement Service" are the three most feared words in the English Language. What about the bus to LHR, and then train it from there?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As we all know, "Rail Replacement Service" are the three most feared words in the English Language. What about the bus to LHR, and then train it from there?
Aren't "M Twenty-Five" the three next most feared words?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Time & cost & the fact the train from Heathrow isn't great for me, either!

I think my choices are minicab to Reigate (£25) and train from there, or just suck up the rail replacement and go through the middle of London (unless I time it perfectly for the Reading service at Redhill).

It's annoying because when I first booked, the Southern trains were off but the Reading train showed as running. Grr....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.