Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for Petrol/gas with US Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 2:20 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Unattended petrol stations are rare in the UK in general. It's mostly supermarkets that have them - like Asda, and few Tescos (which are mostly attended, but some are unattended at unsociable hours).
Old May 9, 2018, 3:26 am

Although unattended fuel stations are still rare, I've noticed in the last year a number of stations in the Scottish Highlands (which previously offered limited hours when staff were on duty) now offer extended hours with an unattended option in overnight hours. This relies on chip / PIN cards.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by tmiw
Just set up a mobile wallet and use that for everything possible. Unlike in the US, tapping cards is actually becoming the standard elsewhere and there will probably come a point where even using chip and PIN will annoy the cashier and the people behind you in line.
In the UK the contactless limit is Ł30 so unless this is raised, chip & PIN is going nowhere. I believe certain phone pay options may not have a limit, but do you really want to be forced to pay by phone everywhere?

On a recent trip I noticed that many ATMs in Australia are now tap & PIN, not sure whether this is feasible at POSs.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by :D!
In the UK the contactless limit is Ł30 so unless this is raised, chip & PIN is going nowhere. I believe certain phone pay options may not have a limit, but do you really want to be forced to pay by phone everywhere?

On a recent trip I noticed that many ATMs in Australia are now tap & PIN, not sure whether this is feasible at POSs.
The contactless limit is Ł30 for unauthenticated transactions (e.g. contactless bank cards) but this doesn't apply to Apple Pay or Google Pay. That said, Lloyds has a habit of sending me a fraud text *every* time I use my Lloyds CC for a larger Google Pay transaction...
Old May 9, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stut
The contactless limit is Ł30 for unauthenticated transactions (e.g. contactless bank cards) but this doesn't apply to Apple Pay or Google Pay. That said, Lloyds has a habit of sending me a fraud text *every* time I use my Lloyds CC for a larger Google Pay transaction...
Additionally most/the majority of transactions are under that amount anyway so it's not far fetched for at least some categories of merchants to only see contactless. Well, eventually anyway.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
In other countries you don’t sign for contactless. In the US signing for contactless is going away as well.
Contactless cards are not really a thing in the US. One bank in Chicago was issuing contactless debit cards, but they had to stop when passengers on public transit were being double-charged when carrying that card in a wallet that got too close to card readers. I've never been asked to sign for a transaction when paying with Apple Pay, either in the UK or the US.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:10 am

So, question for UK forum members: If I use the self-checkout lane at, say, Tesco or Sainsbury's, I should have an option to pay with Apple Pay, correct?
Old May 9, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by TribalistMeathead
So, question for UK forum members: If I use the self-checkout lane at, say, Tesco or Sainsbury's, I should have an option to pay with Apple Pay, correct?
Yes, absolutely. It won't be marked as Apple Pay, necessarily, but will be as contactless.

Note that, for reasons I don't quite understand, Asda don't accept contactless transactions with Amex.

Last edited by stut; May 9, 2018 at 7:51 am
Old May 9, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
There are higher limits for mobile payments. IIRC Ł100.

I would imagine that the long term evolution will be contactless payments. Below Ł30: Just tap. Above Ł30: tap + pin.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Skymiles
No Apple Pay at ASDA though because they’re owned by Walmart. We all know Walmart hates contactless.

But in most cases choose “Card” when paying and tap the phone to the card reader, just like in the US.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:04 am

No Apple Pay at ASDA though because they’re owned by Walmart. We all know Walmart hates contactless.

But in most cases choose “Card” when paying and tap the phone to the card reader, just like in the US.
I used Google Pay at Asda as recently as an hour ago.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:11 am

I used Google Pay at Asda as recently as an hour ago.
So they’re enabled now? Shame on WM for doing this then as they’re on the same 4690 setup as the US! To the point where the servers are actually in Bentonville.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:23 am

I wouldn't shop at Asda anyway, there's a Tesco within walking distance of our preferred AirBnB, and the closest two supermarkets other than that are Waitrose and Sainsbury's. I wouldn't go out of my way to give my money to the Walton family.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:26 am

So they’re enabled now? Shame on WM for doing this then as they’re on the same 4690 setup as the US! To the point where the servers are actually in Bentonville.
Been using it for over a year now. Never had an issue, although it's one of only two examples (the other being the ticket machines for my local railway company) where they insist on chip & PIN for Amex.

I wouldn't shop at Asda anyway, there's a Tesco within walking distance of our preferred AirBnB, and the closest two supermarkets other than that are Waitrose and Sainsbury's. I wouldn't go out of my way to give my money to the Walton family.
Well, Asda's about to be taken over by Sainsbury's anyway, but fair enough. They don't really do smaller in-town supermarkets, anyway. There's one literally nextdoor to my office, hence being in there regularly for midweek top-up messages...
Old May 9, 2018, 9:33 am

Been using it for over a year now. Never had an issue, although it's one of only two examples (the other being the ticket machines for my local railway company) where they insist on chip & PIN for Amex.

Well, Asda's about to be taken over by Sainsbury's anyway, but fair enough. They don't really do smaller in-town supermarkets, anyway. There's one literally nextdoor to my office, hence being in there regularly for midweek top-up messages...
I wonder if the crappy Walmart 4690 system will be replaced by Sainsbury’s NCR Retalix system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.