London Underground strike planned for October 5

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Underground strike planned for October 5

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Analise
So my flight is due at 1:45pm on October 6. Does it look like I'll need to find another way into London besides the Piccadilly? Should I book Heathrow Connect online? I'll be going to Ealing Broadway.
No need - doing so offers no financial benefit (tickets are no cheaper booked online), nor would it guarantee a space on the train.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For some people, changing to hotels that are walkable from the Heathrow Express and minimizing luggage might make sense if you can do so.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mizter T
No need - doing so offers no financial benefit (tickets are no cheaper booked online), nor would it guarantee a space on the train.
Thanks. May I assume I can buy a ticket from a machine using a credit card (Visa)?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For some people, changing to hotels that are walkable from the Heathrow Express and minimizing luggage might make sense if you can do so.
No need at least for me. My hotel is near Ealing Common so I can walk or take a bus from Ealing Broadway.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:25 am

Thanks. May I assume I can buy a ticket from a machine using a credit card (Visa)?
You can. Visa/MC/Amex are universally accepted at train ticket machines.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Clearly I missed it. Yet the BBC link says the strike will begin at 00:01 on October 5. Yet as was said above, no one knows where the BBC got that info.

So my flight is due at 1:45pm on October 6. Does it look like I'll need to find another way into London besides the Piccadilly? Should I book Heathrow Connect online? I'll be going to Ealing Broadway.
The strike seems to still be on and TfL are now reporting midnight to midnight, but with the caveat that "In addition, some Tube services may finish earlier (from 23:30) on Wednesday 4 October and start later on Friday 6 October."

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike?intcmp=35779

Those of a cynical bent may consider that it's being done during those hours so as to cause maximum disruption to the England football match at Wembley on Thursday evening...

The warning is to expect very limited Tube service during the strike, and none at all on some lines. This is always dependent on who shows up to work on the day of course, but it is looking bad. As always, buses, taxis etc will be packed and not a quick way of getting around.

However I would not expect there to still be disruption on the afternoon of 6 October when your flight lands.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gingerlucy
However I would not expect there to still be disruption on the afternoon of 6 October when your flight lands.
I hope you're right. Thank you for the update; I was about to ask as I leave for GIB tomorrow.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:07 pm

I hope you're right. Thank you for the update; I was about to ask as I leave for GIB tomorrow.
gingerlucy is right - if the strike does go ahead, things will definitely be back to normal by Friday mid-morning if not significantly earlier.

If you were flying out of Heathrow on Friday morning, then I'd suggest planning on travelling by means other than Tube, but you're well in the clear Analise, no need to worry.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mizter T
gingerlucy is right - if the strike does go ahead, things will definitely be back to normal by Friday mid-morning if not significantly earlier.

If you were flying out of Heathrow on Friday morning, then I'd suggest planning on travelling by means other than Tube, but you're well in the clear Analise, no need to worry.
Thanks Mizter T & gingerlucy!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
TfL has just sent the following e-mail. Looks like pretty severe disruption expected if this goes ahead.

Strike action has been announced for Thursday 5 October. If this goes ahead, there will be no service on most of the Tube network all day.

We will be running extra buses but they are expected to be exceptionally busy. All other TfL services will be unaffected but many will be busier than usual.

Please check before you travel and visit tfl.gov.uk/tube-strike or get the latest travel advice through
social media

Yours sincerely,

Mark Wild
Managing Director, London Underground
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:29 am

Strike called off

The strike has been called off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41491123
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Excellent! Thank you.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Have a great trip ^
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Have a great trip ^
Thank you!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The strike on the tube has been suspended

South West trains on the other hand ...

The Guardian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.