FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   The Ongoing LHR Taxi/Minicab (Car Service) Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1373885-ongoing-lhr-taxi-minicab-car-service-discussion.html)

Markie Feb 23, 2014 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 21640953)
Just to say I had a bad experience with 24/7 last week when they arrived at LHR 40 minutes later than booked. No premtive call from the driver or office. Have complained so waiting for the outcome.

They offered a 20% discount on a future booking. Since October they have let me down once, and been OK for the rest of the time so I am sticking with them for now.

Hannibal Lecter Feb 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Smirnoff (Post 16524023)
I highly recommend the north london firm Expressways.
http://www.expressways.co.uk/

You can book online, and you can track your car online - once the car has been allocated, so you know exactly how far away it is.

Drivers are smart. Very reliable. And a fraction of the cost of Addison Lee or black cabs.

On arrival, they will stand with a sign, where you exit customs. No additional parking fee, it's included in the price you pre-pay.

I used them once, the driver wanted more Money (£15 I Think) because the flight was delayed about 30mins, even though it says on their website

At the airport the fare includes 60 mins waiting time starting from when the plane lands. After this time waiting time may be applied. We monitor flights for any delays and there will be no extra cost to the passenger should the flight land at a later time

malgudi Jun 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Anybody?

Originally Posted by SATXLady (Post 21405355)
Ay recent experience with Green Tomato? It's listed on the Heathrow website so I wondered how they are. I haven't seen mention of them on various forums.

ExpatSomchai Jul 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Any suggestions for a LHR to LCY transfer?

jerry a. laska Jul 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 23245617)
Any suggestions for a LHR to LCY transfer?

See this recent thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...onnection.html

Otherwise any of the recommended firms should be fine.

Of course a LHR-LCY transfer by car may be a problem depending upon how long you have and the time of day.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...rs-enough.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...3Blhr+transfer

Lane0415 Jul 23, 2014 5:55 pm

We recently contracted Black Berry. We are traveling on Aug 17th.

BobbySteel Jul 24, 2014 2:44 am

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 23122175)
Anybody?

They're great. Good prices, though I still prefer UberX.

harishv79 Jul 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Folks, need advice on London Heathrow airport transfer. Me, Mrs harishv79, and 1 yr old baby are arriving in LHR on a hopefully sunny saturday afternoon next month. We are staying in the MayFair hotel for 5 days before continuing on to India. Naturally, we are gonna have to max out our economy baggage allowance (5 large suitcases) filled to the max (length & weight) filled with baby diapers (for use in india), wipes et al + all the gifts for extended family, their friends and neighbors :) + an umbrella / mini stroller.
can give up the stroller if needed.
Now, am guessing we ought to look for a large vehicle (MPV??). But not sure even if that would fit in. Any recommendations for my situation?
Should I consider leaving a few luggages in the airport left luggage (north of 100 pounds for each item for 5 days, which is way too expensive).
Which airport services provide better service for our requirements...
Thanks in advance

gnarly Jul 29, 2014 6:06 am

How about putting cases in cases and leaving the diapers at home. Then buy the diapers (which will now be nappies) in the UK.
That will save you some weight and hassle on the way in, but you'll still have to load up your taxi from the Mayfair back to the airport.

stifle Jul 29, 2014 8:22 am

I don't think you have the price of left luggage right. It is £8 per item per day or part thereof.

harishv79 Jul 29, 2014 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 23275572)
I don't think you have the price of left luggage right. It is £8 per item per day or part thereof.

True, not sure where i got those numbers from...
This is a bit confusing (from left-luggage.co.uk)
Left Luggage Rates
£5.00 per Item 0 - 2hrs
£10.00 per Item 2 - 24hrs
£5.00 per Item +24hrs
(per 24hrs or part thereof)

Does that mean for the first day, its 10.00 and for the remaining day its 5.00 each?

Thanks.

williemaykit Jul 30, 2014 6:59 am

BA Transfer and Airport Executive Review

If it is any help to anyone, I have used a couple of mini cab companies over the last few years (BA Transfer and Airport Executive). These days I drive as my flights are in the middle/latter part of the day and I can usually get a decent deal on airport parking.

BA Transfer

When I do need a car, this is the company I have used most recently. Overall I am happy with these guys. You can prepay online and if you register they give 5% off.

They are always on time, usually early. During the Olympic Games one driver managed to get us from Greenwich to Heathrow T5 in mid afternoon traffic in 45 minutes (the fastest we have ever got there). When I return I like that I can set a pick up time of up to 2 hours after arrival. I usually set it to 1.5 hours (usually travelling with 2 kids) though I have had one driver call a couple of times. A quick call to head office sorted him out.

My only other issue with these guys was when the original owner of the company picked us up after a long flight from Sydney. He seemed to take us around the world and talked way too much (it was a 5am arrival).

Airport Executive

I used these guys up until about late 2010. They were reasonably priced but quality of the cars tended to be a mixed bag. Some were spotless whilst others were filthy.

What stopped me from using them was the last two drivers I had. The second last driver accepted another job whilst driving me home from Heathrow. When we hit some traffic on the A13 (usually a slow run) he got really agitated (lot's of heavy braking, swearing). I didn't tell him to accept the job.

The last time I used them was after returning from a funeral in Sydney. The guy was more polite but must have had something wrong with his foot because he kept accelerating and braking really hard at the last minute. His grasp of English was not very good so telling him to ease up was a waste of breath.

stifle Aug 2, 2014 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by harishv79 (Post 23277409)
True, not sure where i got those numbers from...
This is a bit confusing (from left-luggage.co.uk)
Left Luggage Rates
£5.00 per Item 0 - 2hrs
£10.00 per Item 2 - 24hrs
£5.00 per Item +24hrs
(per 24hrs or part thereof)

Does that mean for the first day, its 10.00 and for the remaining day its 5.00 each?

Thanks.

Well, I was about to post what would have been a flame-grilled post about how I had just told you in the post you quoted that it was £8 per item. Thankfully for me I decided to check up first and the rates you posted are closer to what I found.

My reading of the above is indeed that it is £10 for the first day and £5 for each subsequent day or part of a day.

harishv79 Aug 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 23300343)
Well, I was about to post what would have been a flame-grilled post about how I had just told you in the post you quoted that it was £8 per item. Thankfully for me I decided to check up first and the rates you posted are closer to what I found.

My reading of the above is indeed that it is £10 for the first day and £5 for each subsequent day or part of a day.

Following up on this - Think we will just leave all but 1 suitcase and a couple of carry-ons at the left luggage facility. With that, can we manage to take the tube at that time (~1:30 pm on Saturday) with an infant to get to Green Park? Or should i look for a airport transfer service?

Thanks.

philemer Aug 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by williemaykit (Post 23280834)
If it is any help to anyone, I have used a couple of mini cab companies over the last few years (BA Transfer and Airport Executive). These days I drive as my flights are in the middle/latter part of the day and I can usually get a decent deal on airport parking.

BA Transfer

When I do need a car, this is the company I have used most recently. Overall I am happy with these guys. You can prepay online and if you register they give 5% off.

They are always on time, usually early. During the Olympic Games one driver managed to get us from Greenwich to Heathrow T5 in mid afternoon traffic in 45 minutes (the fastest we have ever got there). When I return I like that I can set a pick up time of up to 2 hours after arrival. I usually set it to 1.5 hours (usually travelling with 2 kids) though I have had one driver call a couple of times. A quick call to head office sorted him out.

My only other issue with these guys was when the original owner of the company picked us up after a long flight from Sydney. He seemed to take us around the world and talked way too much (it was a 5am arrival)......

WOW! I just checked their website http://www.british-airporttransfers....uote_part1.php and they quote £72 (Saloon size) for the 18 miles from WC1 to LHR. Could this be right? That's > double the minicab rates I've seen (£30>34). Maybe I've got the wrong website.

Yup, this site is probably the one you are referring to: http://www.batransfer.com/quote.php Only £36/38. That's more like it. :) Thanks for another good option.

stifle Aug 16, 2014 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by harishv79 (Post 23359336)
Following up on this - Think we will just leave all but 1 suitcase and a couple of carry-ons at the left luggage facility. With that, can we manage to take the tube at that time (~1:30 pm on Saturday) with an infant to get to Green Park? Or should i look for a airport transfer service?

Thanks.

I think you'd be fine. Green Park has elevators.

voweffekt Sep 10, 2014 7:28 am

Late arrival Q

I am arriving in LHR at 11pm, Terminal 3.
My hotel is near Earl's court station / Kensington.
The tube won't probably be an option since the last departure is too close to my arrival.
At that hour, is a taxi a good option or should I just hire a car?

My hotel recommended Skyline express. Any other tips?

jerry a. laska Sep 10, 2014 10:37 am

Originally Posted by voweffekt (Post 23504038)
I am arriving in LHR at 11pm, Terminal 3.
My hotel is near Earl's court station / Kensington.
The tube won't probably be an option since the last departure is too close to my arrival.
At that hour, is a taxi a good option or should I just hire a car?

My hotel recommended Skyline express. Any other tips?

If arriving at T3, iirc the last Piccadilly line departure that doesn't involve a change is at 2345. Otherwise I would book a car service. You can read back a few pages to see some recommendations.

stut Sep 10, 2014 10:55 am

Alternatively, you could aim for the Underground, and use Uber if it fails (although I don't know what Uber availability is like around Heathrow at that time of night).

WHBM Sep 15, 2014 6:15 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 23374493)
I think you'd be fine. Green Park has elevators.

If you are with an infant/stroller in Central London then Green Park station is your friend. Most central Underground stations are 100 years old and only steps or escalators, not so much the case out in the suburbs where it's not so much of a problem. Green Park which is on 3 lines including the Piccadilly from Heathrow had lifts installed in the run-up to the Olympics to all lines (a huge project, it cost over £100m for this one station) and is a good place to start walking through the parks or get taxis for a short completion of a trip with a baby or a wheelchair. You do for some combinations of lines there have to take two separate lifts and do some walking along passages.

All the Jubilee Line stations from there eastwards to Stratford, being a new line, also have full lifts to the exit. So do the Underground stations at Heathrow.

stut Sep 15, 2014 6:27 am

This map is a great guide for step-free acess.

JFSV Sep 24, 2014 3:29 am

Hi all

just to share with you my very bad experience with the company that goes under the name of "Heathrow Express cars" or "Express airport cars".

In short, replacement driver arrived 1 hour after agreed time. Continuous lack of information or updates from either the first driver or main call center with regard to any delays. It had to be me calling a few times enquiring as to the whereabouts only for them to passing the job to another company at the very last minute and resulting in 1 hour of my time wasted in LHR waiting.

Furthermore, I sent subsequent complaint email to them which, to date, had no response whatsoever.

Beware.

Cheers
J

BrooklynDave Oct 30, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm leaning towards 24/7 Airport Transfer. Anyone with recent experience with them?

jerry a. laska Oct 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by BrooklynDave (Post 23764899)
I'm leaning towards 24/7 Airport Transfer. Anyone with recent experience with them?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21640953-post79.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22405433-post81.html

You could always send a private message to the author of those posts to see if anything has changed.

GodAtum Apr 30, 2015 4:27 am

Addison Lee, Tristar or no1traveller for a S class from Surrey to Heathrow?

WHBM May 1, 2015 4:10 am

I've always been disappointed that Heathrow Express, once the train service shuts down for the night, doesn't arrange a regular coach service between Heathrow and Paddington, to give a 24x7 service. It always seems there is sufficient demand for this. Certainly cabs are for hire at Heathrow (and at Paddington) all night, and there seems a continuous flow of those from delayed flights, people stuck in immigration, people for early flights who want to get out there extra early, etc.

rollingdeep May 6, 2015 3:42 am

I user Uber to get back to my place only costs be £2-3 more than my drop-off from a local cab form so that seems fair-enough for me.

I just use the app and order as I walk off the plane (domestic travel at the mo) and they are there within 4-5 mins by the time I get out of the airport.

tealeaf99 Jul 7, 2015 3:44 pm

I recently booked a round-trip executive car service with 24/7 Heathrow Airport Transfer (LHR – City – LHR). http://www.247heathrowairporttransfer.co.uk/. For the LHR-to-City segment the driver was waiting at the designated meeting point on time. The car was a MBZ E-Class estate/wagon. All went well.

For the return City-to-LHR segment my original pick-up time was 5:50am. Four days before the pick-up, there was a flight change, so I called 24/7 Heathrow Airport Transfer. During the first phone call I gave the agent my new pick-up time of 3:50am and my flight details. The agent hung up on me. I called back and again gave my updated details. The agent said that the change was confirmed.

On the day of pick-up NO ONE came to my hotel at the requested 3:50am pick-up time! My concierge called 24/7, and the agent at 24/7 said that no one had called to make any changes to the original reservation (?!). Furthermore, the 24/7 agent said that there were no available cars/drivers and thus could not take me to LHR. My concierge was able to get me a taxi in a matter of seconds.

So – please consider this as a warning if you choose to use this car service!

Markie Jul 7, 2015 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by tealeaf99 (Post 25083908)
I recently booked a round-trip executive car service with 24/7 Heathrow Airport Transfer (LHR – City – LHR). http://www.247heathrowairporttransfer.co.uk/. For the LHR-to-City segment the driver was waiting at the designated meeting point on time. The car was a MBZ E-Class estate/wagon. All went well.

For the return City-to-LHR segment my original pick-up time was 5:50am. Four days before the pick-up, there was a flight change, so I called 24/7 Heathrow Airport Transfer. During the first phone call I gave the agent my new pick-up time of 3:50am and my flight details. The agent hung up on me. I called back and again gave my updated details. The agent said that the change was confirmed.

On the day of pick-up NO ONE came to my hotel at the requested 3:50am pick-up time! My concierge called 24/7, and the agent at 24/7 said that no one had called to make any changes to the original reservation (?!). Furthermore, the 24/7 agent said that there were no available cars/drivers and thus could not take me to LHR. My concierge was able to get me a taxi in a matter of seconds.

So – please consider this as a warning if you choose to use this car service!

Sorry it didn't work for you.

I too had to make a change with 24/7 this week. I managed to arrange to get rebooked on BA2 to LCY, from the BA4. I called 24/7 from the lounge at JFK, confirmed the change and that it was getting in early.

In fact the flight got in even earlier than planned, and the driver was there ready and waiting for the two hour trip to LHR.

BTW, my free 20th trip is loaded in to their system and I can cash it at any point through their online system.

jlisi984 Jul 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Just used http://www.247heathrowairporttransfer.co.uk and was very impressed and happy. They had by far the lowest price quote on LHR to Bristol and I paid extra for "VIP" car - got a navy blue BMW 7 Li (important detail!) with a driver who was quiet, courteous, and very good. Didn't want to take tip either (well deserved). Rates were 145 GBP for basic, ~160 for exec (E or BMW 5) and 187 GBP for VIP (S class, A8, BMW 7). For a 2.5h trip this was IMO a very good price.

mileshound Oct 8, 2015 6:46 pm

How about 4 guys, 1 bag each, going from central London (Soho) to LHR at 7am on a Monday morning? Would it be better to take a taxi, Uber or arrange for a car?

Looking for the best mix of convenience, value and cost.

Thanks

JFSV Oct 9, 2015 5:47 am

Pre arranged car should be around 35-40 quid to LHR, so 10 per head. Travel time, allow at least 50mins, 1hour to be safe. Tube would be around 4 pounds each, travel time of say 45mins, but clearly no brainer here in terms of comfort.

I am not sure if Uber operates a fixed rate to LHR. I know that it charges a flat £40 from LHR into Central London.

WHBM Oct 9, 2015 7:59 am

Pre-arranged car ("Minicab") :

Hotel front desk can organise.
Good if you absolutely know when you will be ready.
Cheaper.
Normal sedan/Crossover so maybe a squash for 4 (American) guys :)
Multiple heavy bags can be a problem to fit in.
Company probably the "favourite" of the front desk.
Driver generally not English-first-language.
Reasonable knowledge of route but may be over-reliant on GPS.
Reasonable driving ability.
Imported vehicle - Mercedes etc.

London Black taxi :

Doorman can get you one from the street on the spot.
Good if you just want to leave when you are ready and go.
More expensive than minicab.
Taxi seats 4 (or even 5) adult passengers no problem.
Multiple heavy bags no problem.
Driver London native.
Possibly a grouch, hopefully not. Can comment on every building along the way if desired.
Knows every street, traffic lane, potential jam location, shortcut etc intimately.
Very good driving skill (may not look like it at the time, but they absolutely have it)
Iconic British-built (in Coventry) vehicle.

Take your pick.

Mizter T Oct 9, 2015 10:25 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 25540107)
Iconic British-built (in Coventry) vehicle.

Though not always (alas).

Microwave Oct 9, 2015 5:21 pm

So I searched the thread on this topic and didn't find anything, wondering if there are any experiences that anyone has which can shed light.

I recently got into a bit of a row with Uber over a customer service issue–the exact nature isn't relevant here but I'm trying other alternatives for my airport trips. I've recently gotten into using Gett, I've done two trips back and forth to City and just recently did a trip from my home out to Heathrow. Their fixed prices are similar, if slightly higher than Uber Exec, but the drivers know the routes better and lately my Uber Exec drivers have all been Lewis Hamilton types so I'm happy with the somewhat more sedate LTI ride.

Here's the question: if I want to use Gett for a Heathrow pickup, how does that work? The powers that be strongly encourage those picking up passengers to park, and are policing passenger set-down areas to ensure people aren't waiting. It worked quite well at City, but I'm curious if anyone has used Gett at Heathrow for a pickup and can share experiences.

conklaven Oct 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi I searched the thread but couldnt find anything except from 2012...

I want to hire a cab to take my wife and 5 month old from LHR to Windsor...

Is there a particular car service that offers car seats for babies?

jerry a. laska Oct 17, 2015 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by conklaven (Post 25579431)
Hi I searched the thread but couldnt find anything except from 2012...

I want to hire a cab to take my wife and 5 month old from LHR to Windsor...

Is there a particular car service that offers car seats for babies?

Have a look at the Windsor transportation thread I referred you to in your other thread. In that thread, there are recommendations for Windsor Cars and 5Star.

The website for Windsor cars states that they can supply child seats upon request. http://www.windsorcars.com/services.html
You will want to confirm this ahead of time.

You could check 5Star's website or email them to see if they do the same.

conklaven Oct 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska (Post 25579626)
Have a look at the Windsor transportation thread I referred you to in your other thread. In that thread, there are recommendations for Windsor Cars and 5Star.

The website for Windsor cars states that they can supply child seats upon request. http://www.windsorcars.com/services.html
You will want to confirm this ahead of time.

You could check 5Star's website or email them to see if they do the same.

Thanks! I must have missed the link. Reading on my phone :)

WHBM Oct 18, 2015 4:14 am

Unlike in certain countries, child seats are not required in the UK in taxis.

conklaven Oct 18, 2015 7:07 am

Originally Posted by WHBM (Post 25580897)
Unlike in certain countries, child seats are not required in the UK in taxis.

What do people do just hold the infant? Seems very dangerous