Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo: MILEAGE DISCOUNT ON AWARD TICKETS!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Update with my case in case anyone is interested in taking advantage of the promotion by re-pricing your award tickets retroactively (you could do this if your PNR is ticketed as far back as July 2021 and the same award is still available).

So far no mileage refund showed up in my account, I've sent another feedback, same response, told me to send another feedback if not credited in 72 hours. I think I'll just go to sales office in Chicago to take care of this. I found out mileage refund can be messy, I have done this at IST for 1 simple domestic ticket (IST-ESB) for just a few thousand miles and the agent had to go through a lot of hoops to get my miles back.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Excuse the ignorance as I've always only used TK miles on Star Alliance tickets.
So booking *A tickets online has been impossible due to the fact they they dont enable you to pay for the ticket on their website and it's been broken for months.
My question is for straight TK award bookings on TK metal is the process more straight forward and everything can be booked online thru their website?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:37 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by mrkymark
My question is for straight TK award bookings on TK metal is the process more straight forward and everything can be booked online thru their website?
I would recommend App. I posted an update on another thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33803335-post52.html) the App redemption booking process was revamped and works surprisingly fine...
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
The website tool for booking redemptions also work fine and without issues.
No issues like *A partner awards.

Also call center would easily be able to make changes thus there is also no need to deal with a sales office during schedule changes and cancellations.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Thanks TPJ and IST, appreciate that.
I've gotten slightly petrified at dealing with TK Miles and Smiles as a result of the frighteningly scary *A process and dealing with sales offices.

This sounds like a great deal with 30 percent. Hoping all will be well in the next few months for a trip.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My request to reprice the ticket was denied. So I just cancelled for 25 USD and booked again for HAN to MUC in May 2022.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Enskie
My request to reprice the ticket was denied. So I just cancelled for 25 USD and booked again for HAN to MUC in May 2022.
This is actually the best way to go.

Update to my case, I re-priced my ticket retroactively and got the miles back. However those miles are only good until end of the year (2021). The rational is after Dec 31st I wouldn't be entitled to those miles, so I'm looking at either using it at the shopping portal or protecting them with 1c per mile.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:54 pm

I, and my wife, have flights towards the middle of March to the 1st of April.

ATL-IST-STR returning CGN-IST-ATL booked in I class at 45k per person each way. So 90k miles total per person + taxes and fees.

There is no I availability anymore on our dates of travel (as we snatched up the 2 I fares available per segment for those dates).

If I reach out to the local ATL ticket office, will they "re-price" these for me for the lower points of price of 31,400 miles or am I just SOL?

I see they have the promotion price on the dates around ours for the 31,500 miles but for our dates it's now 115,000 miles.

Thanks as always

CJ
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I, and my wife, have flights towards the middle of March to the 1st of April.

ATL-IST-STR returning CGN-IST-ATL booked in I class at 45k per person each way. So 90k miles total per person + taxes and fees.

There is no I availability anymore on our dates of travel (as we snatched up the 2 I fares available per segment for those dates).

If I reach out to the local ATL ticket office, will they "re-price" these for me for the lower points of price of 31,400 miles or am I just SOL?

I see they have the promotion price on the dates around ours for the 31,500 miles but for our dates it's now 115,000 miles.

Thanks as always

CJ
Do not touch your tickets since the saver award is no longer there. Even if there's saver awards, just read my case earlier, re-pricing involves a lot of headache. In case your flights are cancelled it'll also be easier regarding mileage refund.
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
Do not touch your tickets since the saver award is no longer there. Even if there's saver awards, just read my case earlier, re-pricing involves a lot of headache. In case your flights are cancelled it'll also be easier regarding mileage refund.
Thanks for the information.

As I was hitting send, I received this email from the local sales office:

Dear Jonathan,Thank you for the email. To claim miles or any mileage related issues , kindly contact the Miles & Smiles department.The Email on the back of your card, or 1800-874-8875.

Not worth the hassle. I've seen enough of dealing with TK to know I've seen enough.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:35 am

This is actually the best way to go.

Update to my case, I re-priced my ticket retroactively and got the miles back. However those miles are only good until end of the year (2021). The rational is after Dec 31st I wouldn't be entitled to those miles, so I'm looking at either using it at the shopping portal or protecting them with 1c per mile.
If you're sure that you will fly in 2022, you could just book now in 2021 an award ticket for any flight in 2022 (preferably late, like in December 2022) with these miles that will expire by the end of 2021. Later on in 2022 when you know which route/flight you need, you could change this award ticket to the wanted flight/route for USD 25.00. Like this you could save the 1c per mile.

Or do I miss something? I don't think that during the award flight change process the miles will be credited to your account (and thus get lost, since expired by the end 2021) and then debited again. Or do I see it wrong?

Because this is actually the way how I plan to do it: I don't know yet when and which route I will be flying in 2022 exactly. In order to not lose my expiring miles, I'll book now before the end of 2021 some award flights between certain award regions which I plan to travel sometime in 2022 (so, I already know between which award regions I will fly, and thus I also know how many miles I'm going to need). Preferably I book these flights for December 2022. Like this I have the whole year 2022 to decide when exactly I will be flying these award flights. I just need to change the date (and maybe also route) for USD 25.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles
Originally Posted by postville
If you're sure that you will fly in 2022, you could just book now in 2021 an award ticket for any flight in 2022 (preferably late, like in December 2022) with these miles that will expire by the end of 2021. Later on in 2022 when you know which route/flight you need, you could change this award ticket to the wanted flight/route for USD 25.00. Like this you could save the 1c per mile.

Or do I miss something? I don't think that during the award flight change process the miles will be credited to your account (and thus get lost, since expired by the end 2021) and then debited again. Or do I see it wrong?

Because this is actually the way how I plan to do it: I don't know yet when and which route I will be flying in 2022 exactly. In order to not lose my expiring miles, I'll book now before the end of 2021 some award flights between certain award regions which I plan to travel sometime in 2022 (so, I already know between which award regions I will fly, and thus I also know how many miles I'm going to need). Preferably I book these flights for December 2022. Like this I have the whole year 2022 to decide when exactly I will be flying these award flights. I just need to change the date (and maybe also route) for USD 25.
I actually would like for someone to confirm if this is in fact possible? I feel perhaps it would not be so simple, as there may be a time limit in which you must use your award ticket. Maybe ISTFlyer would know?
What is the best option to temporarily book an award flight that we could change for a later date without losing the miles which expire end of 2021?
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by postville

Because this is actually the way how I plan to do it: I don't know yet when and which route I will be flying in 2022 exactly. In order to not lose my expiring miles, I'll book now before the end of 2021 some award flights between certain award regions which I plan to travel sometime in 2022 (so, I already know between which award regions I will fly, and thus I also know how many miles I'm going to need).
The 30% Promo is only good for flights until end of May 2022. Even if you plan to fly before May, you'll not be able to get the discount after the end of the year by changing the dates.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:00 pm

The 30% Promo is only good for flights until end of May 2022. Even if you plan to fly before May, you'll not be able to get the discount after the end of the year by changing the dates.
Thank you, I'm aware of that. This is also why I suggested to make a reservation for December 2022, i.e. after May 2022 to get debited with the regular miles.
In my post I was referring to your second part where you suggest a solution that is outside of this 30% miles promotion as well. To be exact: I suggest a solution how to freely decide in 2022 how to use miles (with only a USD 25 fee) even though they expired by 2021.
swaigiux likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:50 am

I'm sorry for this rather 'simple' question, but I dont seem to be able to see any 30% discounted award flights when I try to search for flights (logged in through my account on the Miles and Smiles TA website). This promotion would suit me perfectly to get rid of these MS miles, and I was looking at a flight IST-BOG on 4th Jan 22, but it only shows the normal miles needed which are 55,00 in Economy. Tried to send an email earlier, no reply. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? Perhaps I'm missing the obvious Thanks!
Edit: I just tried the same through the TA app. It shows me 55,000miles for a flight on that route for 4th Jan 22, but when I look for later dates in the year (also after May 22), some dates seem to have promotions as low as 28,000 miles. Perhaps it's cause the date is fairly soon? Would I be able to book a later flight for say 28,000 miles, and then change to the one on 4th Jan? (I guess not?)

Last edited by Susan5556; Dec 23, 2021 at 6:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.