Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Re-qualification based on actual membership date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

I'm really confused about this - before the IT mess, we are all re-qualified for Elite. But then after the mess TK claims that we haven't made it because they now only counts flights that's from my exact membership date (March 4) instead of just March. I don't think this was the case before and honestly this is the first time I was told my exact membership date.

It's really annoying to find out now because have less than a week to be able to buy miles (if it's even possible).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:17 am

As far as I know it has always been an exact date since I joined in 2012. For example, mine is Aug 30, not Aug 31. You should be able to buy up to 10k miles to maintain status, you won't actually see those miles credited to your account, but you will keep status.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
AFAIK it's always the exact date as well, it's always been the case for me.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. It's just really weird that I was able to do this previously - I had no idea when my membership date is until now.

If March 4 is the date then when is my qualification period? My card doesn't run out until the end of March so if my qualification doesn't start until April, then I will have only 11 months to requalify?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
How then do I find out my exact date? In the app I can see an Expiry Date (of the card, not any miles) of 30 September 2019 and below that "The amount of miles to maintain status - 30 September 2019". Maybe I've fluked the exact same day for Elite expiry and Membership date. But if not how do I find it? Thanks.

I'll easily qualify but I have a J ARN - SYD flight which I was planning to take after it ticks over in early October. I don't want to mess that up by a few days.

Last edited by sydunipete; Mar 25, 2019 at 6:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You have to call to ask. I don't see anywhere stating the exact date which is really annoying.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks. It's just really weird that I was able to do this previously - I had no idea when my membership date is until now.

If March 4 is the date then when is my qualification period? My card doesn't run out until the end of March so if my qualification doesn't start until April, then I will have only 11 months to requalify?
I would assume that you have from 5 March, 2019 until 4 March, 2020 for a year 1 re-qualification. (or 4 March 2021 for the two-year option)

If you miss both, you would soft land at the end of March 2021.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The weird thing was that I was requalified back in 2018 and got the card operation done for all of us. That's the reason why I am so confused and frustrated now because the system showed we were all qualified but suddenly we didn't.

I think it's bad they don't publish my membership date and expect people to know it by heart. Either they should put it on the cards or they just do the membership month instead.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The weird thing was that I was requalified back in 2018 and got the card operation done for all of us. That's the reason why I am so confused and frustrated now because the system showed we were all qualified but suddenly we didn't.

I think it's bad they don't publish my membership date and expect people to know it by heart. Either they should put it on the cards or they just do the membership month instead.
In 2018 TK sent out account statements (until the IT mess). Dig one out of your trash folder and use it as evidence with M&S...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
In 2018 TK sent out account statements (until the IT mess). Dig one out of your trash folder and use it as evidence with M&S...
Thanks! I found it!

craigthemif likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:07 am

Website
-> My Account
-> Show my Miles statement (red text on left hand side)

It shows both my membership expiry and when my miles expire by year. It is not the same date, all my Miles expire on Dec 31, membership ends August 30.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Thanks! I found it!

I went back through my old statements. I haven't kept every month and as bad luck would have it I don't have any for my renewal month. On my current statements I see
Elite Membership Start Date03.10.2017
Elite Membership Expire Date30.09.2019

I rang the service centre and they said my expiry date was 30 Sep and they couldn't see any other date. So I'm planning some big flights on 1 - 2 October which I want in next year for the purpose of Elite renewal (2019 - 2021). Should I book these for 3 - 4 Oct instead?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Isn't it a bit strange that if your membership start date is October 3, the expiry should be in the same month.

TK claimed that mine started on March 4 and expires on March 31.

If I were you, I'd book October 3-4 to be on the safe side. If you really want to know the date, you'll need to create a feedback and ask them that way - the service centre can't see anything there.

Now the ordeal continues - I sent in the screenshots of our statements obtained via email - once again thanks @craigthemif for that - TK is now letting their IT department to investigate the issue and tell me to check the account in the coming days.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I went back through my old statements. I haven't kept every month and as bad luck would have it I don't have any for my renewal month. On my current statements I see
Elite Membership Start Date03.10.2017
Elite Membership Expire Date30.09.2019

I rang the service centre and they said my expiry date was 30 Sep and they couldn't see any other date. So I'm planning some big flights on 1 - 2 October which I want in next year for the purpose of Elite renewal (2019 - 2021). Should I book these for 3 - 4 Oct instead?
You should definitely wait until the 4th.

If you log-in to your TK account you might see Elite Membership Expiry Date of 31.10.2021 (assuming your re-qualification has been achieved and processed correctly) as it appears that membership expiry dates have been adjusted to the end of the "start date" month (instead of the end of the prior month)
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Don’t fly on those days. It is really a blackout period for any TK status holder
craigthemif likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.