Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK changing caterer from DO & CO to SATS [now cancelled]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:45 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

Turkish Airlines (THY) will sever ties with Vienna-based DO & CO, owned by Turkish businessman Atilla Doğudan, which provides catering to THY passengers. The Turkish flagship carrier will not work with TURKISH DO & CO, 50 percent of which it owns directly, at the new Istanbul airport. THY's new catering partner will be Singaporean catering company SATS....
https://www.dailysabah.com/business/...do-co-catering
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Certainly a disappointment. Do & Co was one of the best parts of flying TK. I don't think most other catering companies are up to the same level.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Thanks.

I didn't see an ending/starting date in the article... When should this happen?

Also I didn't understand why the change. Money saving?
Pity, I liked Do&Co
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I'm not familiar with SATS, but Do&Co is amazing. I choose TK primary for their biz catering. Sad to see the change. But hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:45 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lefly
Thanks.

I didn't see an ending/starting date in the article... When should this happen?
From the OP's post:

The Turkish flagship carrier will not work with TURKISH DO & CO, 50 percent of which it owns directly, at the new Istanbul airport.
So start date is 2025 I guess
roadwarrier likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm not particularly familiar with the Turkish businessman who owns DO & CO, but I wonder whether he has fallen out of favour with the government.

Anyhow, we're talking about the new airport which is very far off in the future.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:36 am

I was very happy wit do&co !
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
SATS caters for Singapore, Ethiad and Cathay among others according to their website. I'll miss Do & Co, but it appears they're going with another top notch company at least.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by TPJ
So start date is 2025 I guess
Oh, it's ok then
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Certainly a disappointment. Do & Co was one of the best parts of flying TK. I don't think most other catering companies are up to the same level.
The quality of catering is driven by the price the customer is prepared to pay. Do&Co doesn't magic high quality catering out of peanuts.

I'm confident SATS is capable of matching quality to contractual obligations and the premium paid, just as Do&Co can deliver mundane catering where revenue so dictates.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I think change is good, so SATS will provide a different perspective to their inflight meal choices. You don't want to continue with the same provider forever.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the break with Do and Co will cost as its a 50/50 JV. SATS is actually not that great, but already committing to throw $120+ into TK's 3rd airport operation, which could double in time. As TK has been looking for about $900 mil to do this, it gets them part of the way there with no upfront cost.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:39 pm

The airport isnt all so far off. The expectation is for the airport to open in late October 2018, but realistically you are looking at Mid-2019.

Last edited by nocturne14; Jul 3, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
I wonder what the break with Do and Co will cost as its a 50/50 JV. SATS is actually not that great, but already committing to throw $120+ into TK's 3rd airport operation, which could double in time. As TK has been looking for about $900 mil to do this, it gets them part of the way there with no upfront cost.
Looks like the break has been on the cards for a long time.

Last edited by nocturne14; Jul 3, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, most likely in late 2018 there will be an opening, a runway open and a ceremonial take-off and/or landing (Afterall 18 months ago they said it would be opened and operating in Q2 2017, and a year or so ago that it would be open and operating NOW). There will be no substantial operations before 2021. This is not a Turkish thing, I cannot think of any major airport, or even terminal in the last two decades that has opened ontime and has not had some issue that takes a year beyond the most pessimistic estimates to finially fully open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.