Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Neither link works for me, nor can I find any way to access that kind of info on the new webpage.
I found it on the first page of the press releases part of the new web site.

https://p.turkishairlines.com/en-us/...ase/index.html
Gnopps likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I have another passport besides US and am able to get visa online without any issue (for travelling next month) from US server, my concern was if this gets escalated we might not even have access to eVisa site from US servers.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
... my concern was if this gets escalated we might not even have access to eVisa site from US servers.
Very unlikely they would do that because it is so easy to bypass (VPN, proxies, etc.). One's passport is a much better indicator of "origin" than an IP address.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Oct 10, 2017 at 11:58 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL EK QR TK
These 2 USA women basketball players were denied entry today from Moscow to Istanbul:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/aponline/...ME6wqPg7?amp=1

I guess they weren't flying Turkish Airlines?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hfly

The insidious thing that will start to hurt is if this drags on for more than a few days. As everyone knows, Turkey has been slammed by refugees and other migrants in recent years. What this has meant is that regular legal foreigners who reside in Turkey now have huge waits to get their resident permits and extensions done. Unfortunately in many/most cases one cannot leave the country while this is being done and can at times take several months. The work around as suggested by the authorities has always been to put in the application , leave and re-enter on a tourist visa, as that was the defacto way of making such things work. Unfortunately now for US citizens this is now NOT possible, which will lead to work and family hardship, and will get worse everyday that this continues, considering that many effected are US-Turkish couples, both sides will suffer equally - I quite literally know a guy married to a Turkish woman who literally is going through this right now. Filed his papers, went away on a business trip a couple of days ago, was supposed to fly back tomorrow, tried to get his evisa today, and other than beg at the local Turkish Embassy where he currently is, is now stuck in a third country!
Not sure who was advising your friend, but the above is entirely false. Once the extension is filed online you can go to the immigration authorities and have them sign and stamp a piece of paper that allows you to leave and renter the country without a visa as long as you are not absent for longer than 15 consecutive days while you await your renewal. This has been standard practice ever since they introduced the online system three years ago. Sorry you friend got bad advice
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by siberslava
Not sure who was advising your friend, but the above is entirely false. Once the extension is filed online you can go to the immigration authorities and have them sign and stamp a piece of paper that allows you to leave and renter the country without a visa as long as you are not absent for longer than 15 consecutive days while you await your renewal. This has been standard practice ever since they introduced the online system three years ago. Sorry you friend got bad advice
that has been my experience, though I was told by the first official I spoke to that it was for a maximum of 15 days in total (not one trip) which turned out to be incorrect.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:47 pm

Updated article from the New York Times quoting a Turkish official;

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/1...n62u6rc7?amp=1
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by boosh
Presumably this would also effect TK's flight crew entering the US? And if so how would they be able to continue operations to the US at all
TK probably has some crew who either aren't Turkish nationals or who hold dual citizenship, although the second category are likely as TK employees to have their crew visas in their Turkish passports. TK might be able to shuffle crew schedules if needed, although longer term it could be harder to staff the USA routes.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:58 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
TK probably has some crew who either aren't Turkish nationals or who hold dual citizenship, although the second category are likely as TK employees to have their crew visas in their Turkish passports. TK might be able to shuffle crew schedules if needed, although longer term it could be harder to staff the USA routes.
Or the flight crews already have multiple-entry visas.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by SKOOBDO
Everything is pretty much up in the air right now. There have been no reports as of yet of any harasment toward USA citizens, however one USA citizen reported yesterday on TripAdvisor that at passport control upon entering Turkey, he was pulled aside and interviewed. He didn't reveal what questions were asked. However, another visitor reported going through passport control with no issues.

Time will only tell, but right now I see no issues. I'm paying close attention since I'm still in Turkey, just in case.
Interesting,

Do you have a link to that thread on Trip Advisor?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Siberslava, Yes it went from Emniyet to Goc a few years ago. And what you state may be true in some cases, but not all, especially when dealing with a renewal, whereby the process is now supposed to be that you send in all the relevant documents, and these documents all being essentially the same as they were the LAST TIME that you got residency and that it was done under Goc. As it the previous permit was done under Emniyet (and there are quite a lot out there as until 2014 they issued 5 year permits rather than the current max of 3), a large number of the previous documents were either NOT entered into the system or entered incorrectly, with errors ranging from the wrong "I" to scrambled Foreigner identification numbers. Also a change of address, or even an expired passport can mess up the "oh so easy and convenient" E-system. So if the forms cannot be processed, because of a system error, because of the above problems, or quite simply they were not received and processed in time, one cannot get that magical slip of paper and the (unofficial) advice given to everyone (but US citizens not) if they need to leave the country is to simply get an Evisa on the way back in in such situations.

So no, the advice given was the best at the time. In any case he is tomorrow going to the Turkish Embassy where he is (not the US, but Europe) to try and get them to issue him a visa as now that BASS, the outgoing US Ambassador has stated clearly that Turks are able to get non-immigrant visas outside of Turkey, in the name of reciprocity, he hopes it will be the same in the other direction. That being said, after speaking several times with the Foreign Ministry in Ankara as well as the consulate where he is, he thinks it 50/50 as Ankara says to speak with the Consulate, and the Consulate says to speak to Ankara, which of course gets weird as many Turkish missions abroad have telephone systems which route visa questions to them to.......Ankara!

Worcester, you are correct that they often say 15 days in total when it is 15 days per trip. I think its a holdover from the 6 month cumulative thing if you wanted to eventually try and get permanent residence, which went away a year or so ago.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Transatlantic American
Interesting,

If I can remember it's in this one. There's 4 different threads about it, but it should be in this one.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...-Istanbul.html
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Transatlantic American
Interesting,

Here's a 2nd link I think has a personal report of USA citizen entry.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...sa-Turkey.html
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can people please stop posting Tripadvisor links here? Other than perhaps "Enigma" over there, most of what is posted is useless drivel. As for the American who says she was questioned, she cannot have it both ways, she is either a deer in the headlights or an experienced traveler to Turkey, reading between the lines, she may have overstayed or been close to overstaying on a previous Turkish visa, my guess is that she probably overstayed a previous one by less than 5 days, which is why they asked if she had paid a penalty. This has no bearing at all on what everyone else is/was talking about.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by hfly
Can people please stop posting Tripadvisor links here? Other than perhaps "Enigma" over there, most of what is posted is useless drivel.
Not always useless drivel, though it's certainly a different demographic posting over there. Perhaps this discussion belongs in the external resources forum, but I think there is value in getting as many data points as possible in a fluid situation like this. I did note that Timatic was not confirming the "no Americans after 10pm" rumor when I linked to TripAdvisor in the policy debate thread.

What I'm really looking for and not finding either here or on TA is details on TK's claim that "banderole" sticker visas will still be available for passengers boarding outside the US. I.e., will a one hour airside layover at YYZ do the trick, or does one really have to enter a third country before reaching Turkey? Is this concession limited to TK flights? How about land and sea crossings? It would seem like issuing visas anywhere off US soil would adequately check the reciprocity box, if the Turkish MFA is looking for a way to deescalate the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.