Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US /Turkey suspend visa issuance [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
It is alleged that Turkey is effectively taking duel citizens hostage in disputes with various countries. Germany issued a warning about this.

I have always found Turkey a welcoming place.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Went through immigration at IST today (EU passport with existing e-visa) and it didn't occur to me to check the far left of the circus to see or ask what was happening at the visa on arrival station.

will try to stop by tomorrow on my way out to find out what the scoop is.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:12 pm

The US Ambassador's statement on the US side of the suspension. He clearly points out this is due to the recent arrest of a Turkish national who worked at the Embassy (no surprise).

https://tr.usembassy.gov/ambassador-...rvices-turkey/
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone posted something posted by someone on Tripadvisor, that was probably told to them by a third party employee of a carrier at an outstation and withing a couple hours of something being announced late on Sunday night and which said wrong information? How could that be?

Very simply: If you have a valid visa you have no problem - in either direction - Turks to the US or US citizens to Turkey. The big difference is obviously one cannot currently get a new one unless one is emigrating.

Pretty much ALL Turks that have US visas have them for duration s that far exceed the "visas" that most Americans get, Their minimum is generally a year, and they can get up to 10 years, while the general visa acquired for US citizens is 90 days. So, in actual fact the Turks at least in the short term are less effected, BUT when you consider that 3-4 times more Turks get US visas than viceversa, it evens out. OTOH as noted above pretty much all the Turks studying in the US already have their visas and are in the US.

Reciprocity is somewhat overstated. Most of the US people who will be effected, will just simply choose to holiday somewhere else. OTOH, many of the Turks go to the US for more substantial reasons. Also, the Turkish stock exchange got hammered today, as did the Lira. Obviously the US exchange and the dollar were not.

This is not the first time that the Turks have gone down a reciprocity road with the US. Until 1995 US citizens did NOT require a visa to visit Turkey, Turks required them to visit the US, but they were free, and this was in line with a 1955 bilateral treaty. The then lame duck Turkish foreign minister decided to turn it into an issue and a money maker and started charging $20 for a 3 month visa. The US reciprocated. Over the next 8 years or so it went to $40, then $55, then $80 and then $100 (the $80 to 100 jump was instigated by the US as a post 9/11 thing). Turkey noticed that US tourist arrivals went off a cliff and the cruise industry was about to leave Turkey, so they reduced it to $20. Which was seen as a climb down, but really was not as prorated a 10 year Turkish visa would cost a US citizen $800, while Turks could possibly get a 10 year Us visa for $100.

The insidious thing that will start to hurt is if this drags on for more than a few days. As everyone knows, Turkey has been slammed by refugees and other migrants in recent years. What this has meant is that regular legal foreigners who reside in Turkey now have huge waits to get their resident permits and extensions done. Unfortunately in many/most cases one cannot leave the country while this is being done and can at times take several months. The work around as suggested by the authorities has always been to put in the application , leave and re-enter on a tourist visa, as that was the defacto way of making such things work. Unfortunately now for US citizens this is now NOT possible, which will lead to work and family hardship, and will get worse everyday that this continues, considering that many effected are US-Turkish couples, both sides will suffer equally - I quite literally know a guy married to a Turkish woman who literally is going through this right now. Filed his papers, went away on a business trip a couple of days ago, was supposed to fly back tomorrow, tried to get his evisa today, and other than beg at the local Turkish Embassy where he currently is, is now stuck in a third country!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by boosh
Presumably this would also effect TK's flight crew entering the US? And if so how would they be able to continue operations to the US at all
I would guess they already have visa's so no immediate issue, also given they work for an airline they would have little issue getting a visa outside of Turkey from another US Embassy or consulate.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by SKOOBDO
Official announcement from Turkish Airlines:

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...turkey-flights

If the above link doesn't work try this one:
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...turkey-flights
Neither link works for me, nor can I find any way to access that kind of info on the new webpage.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: DL EK QR TK
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Neither link works for me, nor can I find any way to access that kind of info on the new webpage.
Go to Twitter and pull up Turkish Airlines Twitter page. The announcement will be in a tweet from yesterday. Good luck.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by SKOOBDO
Go to Twitter and pull up Turkish Airlines Twitter page. The announcement will be in a tweet from yesterday. Good luck.
Instead of making another thread about this thought I'd ask this question even though it might be a little over the top.

1) if this continues to drag is it safe for US citizens to fly TK and transit/layover in Turkey? I ask as I am currently living in the UK and my parents won't be able to come visit me for the holidays due to a family member with serious medical issues. I was considering flying TK home due it's value/cost compared to more direct flights. If this kerfluiffe get's worse will I run into any problems taking TK? Ex. Do I run the risk of getting my ticket canceled without a refund due to say TK being banned from US airspace? Or at worst being detained or something at IST or something crazy like that.

2) I hold the 90 day unlimited visit E-Visa for the Republic of Turkey. How is this effected? as I read it wasn't? I have a friend from undergrad who is from Turkey, whom I've visited a couple of times there. As a US citizen do I run the risk of detention or harassment by the authorities if I were to visit Turkey say tommrrow? Assuming of course that this drags on?

Thank and I apologize if these questions are redundant.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Transatlantic American, at present the answer to both your questions is "no, no problems".

However, things like these can evolve in somewhat unpredicable manner, especially with the volatile tempers of the men in charge in both countries.

Still, anything beyond what is stated fact today would be pure speculation, and I don't see value in engaging in that.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:32 am

Yeah at this point beyond what is known it is all pure speculation. On one hand the stakes are high on both sides so there is a real incentive to find common ground on the other there are some pretty serious differences to overcome and some strong personalities on both sides so nobody knows where this is going. I have a scheduled visit early next year that I am mulling over my options. While I believe this will be resolved by then I am leaning to just going someplace else so I don't waste time dealing with unknowns.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Transatlantic American
Instead of making another thread about this thought I'd ask this question even though it might be a little over the top.

1) if this continues to drag is it safe for US citizens to fly TK and transit/layover in Turkey? I ask as I am currently living in the UK and my parents won't be able to come visit me for the holidays due to a family member with serious medical issues. I was considering flying TK home due it's value/cost compared to more direct flights. If this kerfluiffe get's worse will I run into any problems taking TK? Ex. Do I run the risk of getting my ticket canceled without a refund due to say TK being banned from US airspace? Or at worst being detained or something at IST or something crazy like that.

2) I hold the 90 day unlimited visit E-Visa for the Republic of Turkey. How is this effected? as I read it wasn't? I have a friend from undergrad who is from Turkey, whom I've visited a couple of times there. As a US citizen do I run the risk of detention or harassment by the authorities if I were to visit Turkey say tommrrow? Assuming of course that this drags on?

Thank and I apologize if these questions are redundant.
Everything is pretty much up in the air right now. There have been no reports as of yet of any harasment toward USA citizens, however one USA citizen reported yesterday on TripAdvisor that at passport control upon entering Turkey, he was pulled aside and interviewed. He didn't reveal what questions were asked. However, another visitor reported going through passport control with no issues.

Time will only tell, but right now I see no issues. I'm paying close attention since I'm still in Turkey, just in case.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:34 am

Turkish Airlines just made another announcement on it's Twitter page as follows:

"For our U.S. passport-holding passengers travelling to Turkey from outside the United States, the issuing of banderole visas is in effect."

Not sure what that means???

Last edited by SKOOBDO; Oct 10, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:42 am

banderole: a long, narrow flag with a cleft end, flown at a masthead

I wonder if that is a way of saying the sticker visa's are still be issued on arrival if you are coming from some where other than the US. That is an interesting development if true.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:45 am

Maybe only through "Turkish Airlines" to keep their profits going?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:56 am

It also raises the question of those who arrive in Turkey transiting another country does that count as coming from outside the US? For example I am on a single ticket to Istanbul from the US that transits a third country (I change carriers from UA to TK in that third country). Does that count as coming from US or third country? This is a rhetorical question at this point since I doubt anybody on FT would know that answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.