Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Used initials instead of first name on air ticket - please help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Used initials instead of first name on air ticket - please help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways, South African Airways Voyager
Question Used initials instead of first name on air ticket - please help!

Hi everyone,

I made a mistake when booking my air ticket through a promotional website (Gate1.nl) instead of using my two first names spelt out, I used my initials. I did put my last name correctly in. I called Gate1, they told me that Turkish Airlines cannot make a name change and that I would have to cancel & rebook the ticket. As it is a cheap ticket (my first time going home in 5 years (Amsterdam - South Africa to visit family) I only receive a small refund (€67 of €610).

I called Turkish Airlines myself & they say that they have made a note of my first two names on the booking but it is not a gurantee that I will be able to board as it is up to the check in staff to make this decision.

Does or has anyone have any experience with this?

I am a South African Airways & BA member but not with a very high status.

Thank you.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: TK Elite
In the U.S., (I emphasize that because another place with another company can mean totally different rules), we have had issues in our organization with slightly misspelled names. I myself have had my name incorrectly specified on a ticket.

In one case, I was able to somehow tell a U.S. airline about the problem and they changed it for me at the airport. In another case, we had called an airline about an issue with somebody else's name and they said that so long as it is pronounced the same, it's okay. We found that airport security had been fine with it as the airline had advised us. We also found that long names got garbled by the online checkin software and the TSA guy said they were aware of the issue and weren't bothered by it (on the occasion that we had it).

It does seem to be up to the airport and security staff. I have listed merely my and my organization's experience with ticket names not matching IDs. Your experience will vary based on location, airline, and mood of the ground staff.

Good luck!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You should wait and deal with it at check-in. At least your last name is correct and most likely your first name will be corrected by the check-in agent. As your itinerary does not involve the US there are good chances that it will be solved or you will be allowed to travel with your initials as first name.

Trying to do a name change in advance on a non-refundable ticket is bound to go wrong and end up in you forfeiting the ticket, i.e. there is nothing you can do now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.