Search

TK to announce IST-Australia flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That would mean the entire network.

I'm not buying it...
vincewy is correct, and this is exactly what it means. I also redeemed single vouchers for both legs of the trip.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Denpasar (Bali) potential Australian springboard?

Originally Posted by anna.aero
During the interview, Kotil suggested that Denpasar could be used as a staging post for Turkish Airlines’ long-awaited, much talked about, but still not launched Australian services, given that it doesn’t have the aircraft types to fly direct from Atatürk down under. The Kangaroo Route is a key element of all MEB3 carrier’s networks (as shown below), so they are not likely to be happy with the new insurgent muscling in on their territory. It should be noted that only one European flag carrier offers one-stop service to Australia these days, British Airways flies to Sydney via Singapore, with the likes of Air France, Lufthansa, KLM et al electing to use partner carriers to serve these markets.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by smellme
vincewy is correct, and this is exactly what it means. I also redeemed single vouchers for both legs of the trip.
Me too. As everything with TK, it's not straightforward though.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I am betting they're hoping for or are receiving a generous package from the Indonesian government for these routes. DPS-SYD/MEL is more of a leisure route which is variable during time of the year with some low-cost competition. I'm sure it's more expensive to operate but I'd imagine a "European" Star Alliance airline operating HKG-SYD/MEL would be more appealing to flyers. Especially since neither QF & CX do not operate a First Class cabin any longer on the route.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
I don't think the Indonesian government is readily handing cash out for TK to start DPS-Australia flights, considering how many flights there is already!

Latest rumour is TK routing viaKUL, and its either MEL or SYD, since EK has recently announced pulling put MEL-KUL and making the route non-stop MEL-DXB it would be interesting to see TK jump on the route. MEL-Malaysia is a larger O&D market.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:34 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
More talk.... I believe it when I see something scheduled.

https://www.dailysabah.com/business/...s-to-australia
Old May 9, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by starflyergold
More talk.... I believe it when I see something scheduled.

https://www.dailysabah.com/business/...s-to-australia
I am surprised they are not considering direct service to compete with QF on the LHR-PER route, surely the 787's they ordered have the legs to fly to SYD or MEL non stop, definitely Perth.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:57 am
Accor 25+ Badge

More talk, few details:
Speaking today at the annual Corporate Club business travel conference in Istanbul, as reported by Airways Magazine, Turkish Airlines Chairman İlker Aycı said the Star Alliance member planned to begin flying to Australia by June 2019.
https://www.ausbt.com.au/turkish-air...s-by-june-2019
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:40 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by starflyergold

If they go, it has to be MEL. SYD is maybe too far, and QF already have the PER nonstop traffic covered.
MEL would appear to be a sweet spot in terms of population and being an unserved nonstop route
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Additionally could probably work out some incentive package to make MEL look more appealing from an operations perspective.

Originally Posted by soy
If they go, it has to be MEL. SYD is maybe too far, and QF already have the PER nonstop traffic covered.
MEL would appear to be a sweet spot in terms of population and being an unserved nonstop route
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Nonstop IST-SYD/MEL will provide customers 1-stop connection to 100 cities in Europe.

I wonder if TK can convert some of the A359s to ULR, this aircraft has the range to do so for 8000 Nautical Miles.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: TK Gold
https://airlinerwatch.com/turkish-ai...ey-and-europe/

Seems like it's confirmed?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:10 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Bali is off and now they considering SYD direct. I doubt we will see anything anytime soon.
Turkish Airlines is considering the launch of nonstop services to Australia using either Airbus A350-1000XWB or Boeing 777X aircraft.

The airline already operates 777-300ERs, as well as A350-900s. However, Turkish Airlines chairman Ahmet Bolat told Aviation Daily on the sidelines of the IATA annual general meeting in Doha that the Star Alliance member may go for an additional version, such as the A350-1000XWB for ultra-long-range services from Istanbul to Sydney and Melbourne.

“Australia is the last continent which Turkish Airlines is not flying to,” Bolat said.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...ralia-flights/
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:44 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
“Australia is the last continent which Turkish Airlines is not flying to,” Bolat said.
Good to know they already fly to Antarctica

PS. I know - I am too sarcastic this week, but could not resist...
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Service to Bali not to resume? Bad news for many leisure travelers I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.