FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1726019-everything-you-need-know-about-booking-star-alliance-awards-miles-smiles.html)

slickvik Sep 27, 2016 11:27 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 27270446)
My wife is looking at booking a *A award originating in BLZ (Blantyre, Malawi) using her TK miles due to expire this year. However, there are no TK ticket offices in Malawi for her to complete the ticketing.

Would it be possible for me to visit a TK ticket office elsewhere in the world on her behalf (with the appropriate authorisations, paperwork, etc...) to pay the taxes and get the ticket issued? The ticket will be in her own name, so no issues about identity fraud, etc...

Email a sales office. Your method could work also.

gabrielro Sep 27, 2016 9:02 pm

Redeem on Eva Air

Hi,

I tried calling the local sales office in Singapore to redeem my TK miles on EVA flight (BR225 TPE-SIN). They said that they don't even see EVA in their system, thus no such redemption is possible.

Did anyone manage to redeem TK miles on BR on any route?

matter Oct 2, 2016 11:47 am

Originally Posted by LH4116 (Post 25747978)
[*]Please note that it is NOT possible to ticket your award over the phone. Once you have completed your reservation you will be given a confirmation number. To pay for the award you need to visit a physical ticket office, where you will pay the taxes and have your miles deducted in exchange for an e-ticket number. You can do this at any Turkish Airlines ticket office in the entire world.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard of. The Turkish sales office at YYZ is open from 15:00-23:00 Monday -Thursday and Weekends. If you live in YVR you're hooped unless you have a really good friend in TO willing to drive to the airport.

Anyone found a way around this??

slickvik Oct 2, 2016 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by matter (Post 27292647)
This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard of. The Turkish sales office at YYZ is open from 15:00-23:00 Monday -Thursday and Weekends. If you live in YVR you're hooped unless you have a really good friend in TO willing to drive to the airport.

Anyone found a way around this??

Email the sales office

B747-437B Oct 3, 2016 7:07 am

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 27292830)
Email the sales office

Went to the local sales office and they will not issue any tickets without the actual account holder present. So asking any friends/family to go to the ticket office to do the ticketing will not work.

slickvik Oct 3, 2016 7:19 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 27295846)
Went to the local sales office and they will not issue any tickets without the actual account holder present. So asking any friends/family to go to the ticket office to do the ticketing will not work.

It should work via email

B747-437B Oct 3, 2016 7:23 am

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 27295905)
It should work via email

Not for a ticket originating in Africa is what they explained to me. For that, they require the account holder to visit in person with their original passport and pay the taxes in cash (no credit cards accepted).

slickvik Oct 3, 2016 9:24 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 27295929)
Not for a ticket originating in Africa is what they explained to me. For that, they require the account holder to visit in person with their original passport and pay the taxes in cash (no credit cards accepted).

That is strange. The Houston office just asked me to e-mail credit card authorization form and Turkish airlines miles and smiles form, both of which they provided to me, and copy of miles and smiles card. Doesn't matter whose account it is as long as you have written authorization. But maybe every office is different.

There might be issues with Africa. I've seen posts in Flyertalk about lots of fraud about Africa tickets in general so maybe that is the issue.

Jaenks Oct 4, 2016 2:45 am

Called yesterday to redeem F award. TK does not allow change the airport in the same city as one award. Arrival to HND(from Europe),departure from NRT(to Asia).Did not found any NH F flights to Asia from NRT. Now will consider fly with TG or AZ.

gilbertaue Oct 6, 2016 12:45 am

Don't know if someone here understands how *A upgrade work - I'm having the fololowing issue and run-around with TK/SQ.

I'm trying to use my TK miles to upgrade a Y fare to Business on SQ800 on 25th Oct.
TK chart tells me I need 35,000miles.

I call SQ and they say they are out of saver "I" fares but still have "D" standard redemption fare slots available.

What does TK book into - using the TK/*A redemption site it gives me the following error: "Inventory not Available.(SQ /511)"

Am I simply out of luck, and I need to be looking for "I" class availability?

nacho Oct 6, 2016 1:51 am

For *a upgrade awards TK uses inventory of the saver awards of other *a partners. I was told to look for saver awards for UA instead of standard redemption.

gilbertaue Oct 6, 2016 2:58 am

Originally Posted by nacho (Post 27309686)
For *a upgrade awards TK uses inventory of the saver awards of other *a partners. I was told to look for saver awards for UA instead of standard redemption.

Thanks. Makes sense what you said.
Now I called Krisflyer again and was told I need only 27,500miles to get the upgrade - implying that saver is available afterall - yet the system still denies me through TK. Quite odd.
Can anyone who has the KVS tool check if "I' fares are available for SQ800 on 25th Oct?

Gnopps Oct 6, 2016 3:08 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue (Post 27309840)
Thanks. Makes sense what you said.
Now I called Krisflyer again and was told I need only 27,500miles to get the upgrade - implying that saver is available afterall - yet the system still denies me through TK. Quite odd.
Can anyone who has the KVS tool check if "I' fares are available for SQ800 on 25th Oct?

Here you go (from Expertflyer, not a fan of KVS "contributions" instead of selling the product). Remember availability may differ depending on point of sale, married segments and who's asking (different availabilities for different programs) among others.

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:

Awards & Upgrades Search
Departing SIN on 25/10/16 0:00 for PEK
Flying SQ  on booking class O I X     
Direct/Non-Stop Only

Frequency                                                   
Flight        Stops  Depart            Arrive            Aircraft  Reliability    Class Description                      Code  Seats
0 Connections
SQ 800        0      SIN                PEK                772      Unavailable    First - Award/Upgrade                  O    N
                    25/10/16 1:10      25/10/16 7:25                97% / 13m      Business - Award/Upgrade              I    N
                                                                                    Economy - Award                        X    Y

0 Connections
SQ 802        0      SIN                PEK                388      Unavailable    First - Award/Upgrade                  O    N
                    25/10/16 8:30      25/10/16 14:40              90% / 13m      Business - Award/Upgrade              I    N

0 Connections
SQ 806        0      SIN                PEK                773      Unavailable    First - Award/Upgrade                  O    N
                    25/10/16 16:50    25/10/16 23:00              85% / 14m      Business - Award/Upgrade              I    Y

matter Oct 6, 2016 3:05 pm

Success!

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 27292830)
Email the sales office

Originally Posted by B747-437B (Post 27295846)

OK, so I was worried about my award ticket not going through, but have 3 good things to report, firstly I enlisted the help of my company's travel agent (Vision Travel), who have offices in Toronto, so figured worst case scenario they could physically visit on my behalf. But, they were able to settle it over the phone with the local sales office, when I was told multiple times this was not possible - so perhaps travel agents get better service?

Secondly, a day after the ticket was booked I did get a phone call from the sales staff to follow up re: my email (thanks Slickvik), so that may also work, but in this case the travel agent got it done faster.

The third good part is they booked me a RT award ticket YYZ-YVR for only 15k miles, which I believe is half the award chart price - nice!

As a side note, doing the ANA website and having the exact flight numbers is necessary, they kept saying "I see no availability" until they plugged in the exact details, so if anyone is trying to repeat this, come with all of the info.

Thanks for the help!

gilbertaue Oct 6, 2016 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gnopps (Post 27309856)
Here you go (from Expertflyer, not a fan of KVS "contributions" instead of selling the product). Remember availability may differ depending on point of sale, married segments and who's asking (different availabilities for different programs) among others.

Thank you. Then the answer is clear.
And with this I have now also signed up with ExpertFlyer for a paid account :)