FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles-641/)
-   -   Everything You need to know about booking Star Alliance awards with Miles&Smiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turkish-airlines-miles-smiles/1726019-everything-you-need-know-about-booking-star-alliance-awards-miles-smiles.html)

slickvik Oct 7, 2016 10:07 am

Originally Posted by matter (Post 27312649)
OK, so I was worried about my award ticket not going through, but have 3 good things to report, firstly I enlisted the help of my company's travel agent (Vision Travel), who have offices in Toronto, so figured worst case scenario they could physically visit on my behalf. But, they were able to settle it over the phone with the local sales office, when I was told multiple times this was not possible - so perhaps travel agents get better service?

Secondly, a day after the ticket was booked I did get a phone call from the sales staff to follow up re: my email (thanks Slickvik), so that may also work, but in this case the travel agent got it done faster.

The third good part is they booked me a RT award ticket YYZ-YVR for only 15k miles, which I believe is half the award chart price - nice!

As a side note, doing the ANA website and having the exact flight numbers is necessary, they kept saying "I see no availability" until they plugged in the exact details, so if anyone is trying to repeat this, come with all of the info.

Thanks for the help!

I think the rate is 20k, you saved 5k miles nonetheless! That is a great deal.

Matt Newbie Oct 29, 2016 11:24 am

Is it also possible to redeem miles for jet airways flights? And what are the redemption levels?

thefilipinotraveler Oct 31, 2016 7:16 am

Originally Posted by gabrielro (Post 27272850)
Hi,

I tried calling the local sales office in Singapore to redeem my TK miles on EVA flight (BR225 TPE-SIN). They said that they don't even see EVA in their system, thus no such redemption is possible.

Did anyone manage to redeem TK miles on BR on any route?

I called the tollfree number today. I wanted to fly BR from CDG-TPE but the agent could only see the schedule, it is not bookable. He advised me to call again tomorrow and maybe it will be bookable in their system. On United's website, there's at least one saver seat available. Could it be that EVA Air is not releasing award seats to TK? Or TK not having access to BR?

LH4116 Jan 5, 2017 11:19 am

Yesterday I successfully issued my second Star Alliance award ticket. FRA-HND in All Nippon Airways First Class for 65700 miles + €87,07 in taxes. Sadly it took the staff at the Frankfurt ticket office 5 hours to figure out how to issue the ticket, and I had to sit around and wait the whole time.

SK AAR Jan 6, 2017 8:01 am

Why the low tax/no YQ amount?

Maybe this was the part that caused the troubles at TK ticket office.

airoli Jan 6, 2017 8:30 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 27714446)

YQ is capped by the Japanese government on flights to/from Japan. @:-)

Jaenks Jan 6, 2017 8:35 am

Originally Posted by airoli (Post 27714595)
YQ is capped by the Japanese government on flights to/from Japan. @:-)

Took the same flight last year but redeemed A3 miles.
Taxes are
Germany Airport Security Charge (DE)
€9.56
Germany Air Transport Tax (OY)
€41.99
German Passenger Service Charge (RA)
€33.61
NH YQ surcharge (YQ)
€1.92

Enjoy the flight LH4116!

LH4116 Jan 6, 2017 11:04 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 27714446)

Maybe this was the part that caused the troubles at TK ticket office.

ANA doesn't take out fuel surcharges at the moment, but they will begin at the end of this month. Currently the YQ is €2 which only covers the insurance cost, and it will soon be raised to €30 per segment to include a fuel surcharge.

I booked TK home with a friend's expiring miles, and the taxes set me back around €56. Had I chosen TK on the outbound it would have cost me around four times as much.

LH4116 Jan 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik (Post 27498457)
Anyone know what the change fee is? A better flight opened up for me but I see no information on the ticket.

25 USD.

Originally Posted by pineapple_juice (Post 27757240)
Hi! Can anyone confirm – does TK allow mixed cabins on one-way Star Alliance awards? Example:
LH OSL-FRA (business)
LH FRA-JNB (first)
Will this combination be ok?

I also have a question about the miles overdraft function for Elite Members. Does it only apply to TK awards? Not for *A awards?

Overdraft works for *A awards too. Mixed cabin doesn't work, and there's no way to chose an extended layover in Frankfurt since the system will only allow the shortest connection.

shuly Feb 4, 2017 2:42 am

Mixed feelings

I booked a Star award with TK miles for the first time. One-way, JFK-TLV, on Lufthansa, in business class.

The good: I called the TLV city office for the booking. On two out of three calls, they answered immediately. They were competent and completed the transaction smoothly. The reservation can be held for a few days without ticketing. 47K miles for this trip isn't bad.

The bad: I class availability as shown on ExpertFlyer.com does not match the availability they see. They offered me way fewer options than I expected. Once a booking is made, they e-mail you forms which you have to fill in and e-mail back (they won't take a credit card number over the phone). Once confirmed, you get an e-mail with the TK reference number but no Amadeus PNR (so no way to access the reservation on lh.com, for example).

The worst: they managed to screw up my reservation somehow, and if I hadn't found out I'd be stuck without a ticket. I called back and they fixed it within a few hours.

In sum, less smooth than booking a TK award online, but still didn't require too much effort and I'm happy with the results.

Shuly

LH4116 Feb 4, 2017 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by shuly (Post 27863591)
I booked a Star award with TK miles for the first time. One-way, JFK-TLV, on Lufthansa, in business class.

The good: I called the TLV city office for the booking. On two out of three calls, they answered immediately. They were competent and completed the transaction smoothly. The reservation can be held for a few days without ticketing. 47K miles for this trip isn't bad.

The bad: I class availability as shown on ExpertFlyer.com does not match the availability they see. They offered me way fewer options than I expected. Once a booking is made, they e-mail you forms which you have to fill in and e-mail back (they won't take a credit card number over the phone). Once confirmed, you get an e-mail with the TK reference number but no Amadeus PNR (so no way to access the reservation on lh.com, for example).

The worst: they managed to screw up my reservation somehow, and if I hadn't found out I'd be stuck without a ticket. I called back and they fixed it within a few hours.

In sum, less smooth than booking a TK award online, but still didn't require too much effort and I'm happy with the results.

Shuly

You can get the Lufthansa PNR either by calling them, or using the manage my booking feature on SWISS website, where you enter the ticket number. Also since TK use married segments, the number of connections will be limited to only the shortest connection.

khkchan Feb 5, 2017 11:33 am

Anybody has recent experience in redeeming *A ticket through the YUL or YYZ office?

Thanks.

Ghentleman Feb 6, 2017 1:05 pm

My experience:
made the reservations over the phone on a Sunday.
1 *A Award on United, 1 ¨*A Award on Ethiopian and one award on TK
Answered immediately, reservation made swiftly, confirmation emails received.
Agent was unable to tell me the tax/YQ on the *A awards.

On Monday I went to the TK offcice in Chicago (city not airport). Very friendly but the process is very slow: first they have to look up the taxes, write it down, add it up, make me pay (cash or CC).
Then they have to issue the tickets, it took 2 people and 20 minutes to issue them, while I had to hear "Ethiad is not part of Star Alliance" (ET= Ethiopian...:mad:). All well in the end.

They said the software is being renewed but if I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ghentleman Feb 6, 2017 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ghentleman (Post 27873406)
My experience:
made the reservations over the phone on a Sunday.
1 *A Award on United, 1 ¨*A Award on Ethiopian and one award on TK
Answered immediately, reservation made swiftly, confirmation emails received.
Agent was unable to tell me the tax/YQ on the *A awards.

On Monday I went to the TK offcice in Chicago (city not airport). Very friendly but the process is very slow: first they have to look up the taxes, write it down, add it up, make me pay (cash or CC).
Then they have to issue the tickets, it took 2 people and 20 minutes to issue them, while I had to hear "Ethiad is not part of Star Alliance" (ET= Ethiopian...:mad:). All well in the end.

They said the software is being renewed but if I wouldn't hold my breath.

Not so smooth after all: just found out they took miles for a return out of my account, not 50% for a one-way. I'll report on the struggle to get them back...

khkchan Feb 7, 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Ghentleman (Post 27874891)
Not so smooth after all: just found out they took miles for a return out of my account, not 50% for a one-way. I'll report on the struggle to get them back...

Thanks Ghentleman for sharing your experience.

I emailed the YUL & YYZ office. YUL quoted me wrong # of miles for the itinerary and asked me to call general reservation # for reservation & ticketing. YYZ office said they have checked " NH (Malaysian Airlines) and NH (Anna All Nippon Airways for Japan)" and no reward seat is available (though United shows availability).

Not too optimistic about the prospects.....