Search

Check Through Bags Separate Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2023, 6:21 pm
ssq
Original Poster

Check Through Bags Separate Tickets

Hello,

I believe other threads have touched on this topic, but I wanted to get some recent insight.

I will be traveling from ATH-IST and then IST-IAD (both on TK but separate tickets) with a ~9 hour overnight layover in Istanbul. Would it be possible for ATH to check my bags through to IAD? Can ATH issue my boarding pass for the IST-IAD leg?

If not, after collecting my luggage at arrivals, how early can I check in and drop off my bags at Istanbul so I can use the lounge?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Very little chance of through-checking on separate tickets. Don't forget that you will need an e-visa to go landside.

Are you planning to overnight in the lounge?

I'm sure someone with more recent IST experience will come along, but I'm not sure that you can drop off your bags the night before a flight.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 3:30 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by ssq

I believe other threads have touched on this topic, but I wanted to get some recent insight.
Nevertheless, it’s better to reuse an old thread to contain all the info, new and old, in the same place.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
TK does check bags on two separate tickets so you would be fine during this layover.
If ATH can't issue your IST-IAD boarding pass, you could always stop by the transfer counter at IST before passport control and reclaim your boarding pass there for that leg.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: AA ExP, AS MVP Gold, TK Gold, DL Plat
Has anyone done this recently? Wife will be flying EWR-IST-VKO on different tickets (both TK), 5 hours layover with kids. Checking the bags through would be very helpful
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Should be no issue. Just explain and show the separate ticket to VKO at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.