Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Conflicting info on expiration date of Elite Plus upgrade vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+

I first got my E+ status and vouchers around April, and was told long ago that they would expire 1 year from when they were issued.

Now I've asked in the call center and 2 different reps told me with complete confidence, and "100% guaranteed", that my current vouchers will not expire in April but rather on Dec 31st 2016.

Can this be actually true? And if so, does it mean that I will get the next 2 vouchers before the previous 2 expire, or will the next be issues only at the beginning of 2017?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
It makes sense, this is how miles expire. They're supposed to be good for 3 years, but for example the miles that I earned this month will expire only 31.12.2019 so 3 years from the end of this year. I wouldn't bet my vouchers on it though.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Don't trust the CC Agent, don't!

There is a "Card Renewal" section under the "Card Operations" menu. This will show your end of the 1st year date. Your vouchers will expire on this date, I'm pretty sure.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Originally Posted by pencereamelesi
Don't trust the CC Agent, don't!

There is a "Card Renewal" section under the "Card Operations" menu. This will show your end of the 1st year date. Your vouchers will expire on this date, I'm pretty sure.
I can't agree more, I'm pretty sure the voucher have to be used within the 12 month of the E+ (every year), not following the regular calendar year.

I'm sure if you call enough agent you will get 2 or 3 different extra answer...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+
So this kind of expiration date (12 months / at the "card renewal" date) is the last date for applying the voucher to a booking, or the last date on which the upgraded flight itself has to be made by?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by bamba70
So this kind of expiration date (12 months / at the "card renewal" date) is the last date for applying the voucher to a booking, or the last date on which the upgraded flight itself has to be made by?
You have to make the booking before the expiry date. The flight itself can be later (up to end of schedule).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite+ - Marriott Rewards Gold - Hertz 5 Stars
i wouldn't count much on the "advanced upgrade booking" as it looks like they tend not to be very generous with advanced upgrades.

my experience of days ago: i booked a return flight MXP-IST-PVG and return in Y, 2 weeks before departing, with return date over 1 month after the first flight. the price was very low (about 520€), so definitely not a full plane.
after booking i called M&S to book free upgrade for both flights (so also the return which is far away) and i was told that no space is available.
at the time of Check-in in MXP i asked if possible to upgrade and in few mins i got upgrade for both me and my wife (we're both E+).
we so asked if possible to book the same for the return, but they said that it was too early to book this kind of upgrades and needed to wait till few days before or do it at the airport.

if this is the situation it's going to be rather difficult to use the vouchers without having luck and lots of trips planned to try...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:11 am

Of course, upgrade space availability needs to be carefully researched prior to making a Y booking. Space is determined not by how much of a plane is booked at time of reservation, but by the forecast load and yield for the C cabin, as calculated by the revenue management system.

This being said, I had decent success rates in the past finding transatlantic TK flights 4-6 months out where upgrade space was available, and was able to use my vouchers on those flights even though they were past the expiry date of the vouchers. I just needed to confirm the upgrades before expiry date.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: TK Elite+, AB Plat, IC Amb, HH Dia, *W Plat, MR Gold, CC Conc., Accor Gold
Date of upgraded flight

Originally Posted by airoli
You have to make the booking before the expiry date. The flight itself can be later (up to end of schedule).
That's interesting.

I have used these E+ upgrades for four years now. And everytime I called each agent insisted on the flight dates being before the expiration date of the vouchers.

Examples (for my membership year, which ends on March 31):
(1) Accepted: IST-BKK on March 20 and BKK-IST on March 31
(2) Not accepted: IST-BKK on March 20 and BKK-IST on April 1

Have you made any bookings, where the second example was accepted (for a free E+ upgrade)?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by reichert
And everytime I called each agent insisted on the flight dates being before the expiration date of the vouchers.
Inconsistency is the only thing TK consistently delivers. Just look at the debate of whether 1 voucher upgrades 1 or 2 segments.

Have you made any bookings, where the second example was accepted (for a free E+ upgrade)?
Yes, twice.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Originally Posted by reichert
Yes. Many times.
Last week, I used my voucher for future CPT-IST-GRU flight (w/o stopover), redeemed only one voucher (SWU) at TK Office Taksim, Istanbul.

I was in waitlist for the CPT-IST leg. 20 days later they called me and invite to the office for signing my voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.