FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   [Updated] Trusted Travelers Programs Reinstated for NY State Residents (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/2007770-updated-trusted-travelers-programs-reinstated-ny-state-residents.html)

sekhmet101 Feb 6, 2020 6:23 am

[Updated] Trusted Travelers Programs Reinstated for NY State Residents

Apologies if I'm not posting to the right thread. Admin feel free to delete:

If you live in NY, you may not be getting Global Entry according to this article: https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/polit...ams/index.html

erik123 Feb 6, 2020 6:33 am

I wonder if it affects renewal of GE for kids who do not have a DL.

the phoenix Feb 6, 2020 6:38 am

NYer here:

My issue is what if you're in the enrollment stage? We have conditional approval and an interview pending in March... DHS gladly charged our credit card and charged us. If this stays as is, we better get our cash back.

richarddd Feb 6, 2020 8:15 am

I wonder if they'll continue the mobile passport app.

TWA884 Feb 6, 2020 8:21 am

Moderator's Note

Folks,

Please keep in mind that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational.

Commentary, opinions and speculations of the administration's motives for restrictions of Global Entry memberships for New York residents belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum where we have an active thread on this topic.

Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Suspended for NY Residents

If you wish to discuss the political aspects and ramifications of the suspension of Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler programs applications and renewals for New York state residents, we have a thread discussing those in OMNI/PR (access to the OMNI forums is limited to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and posted 180 contributive posts):

New Global Entry suspended for NY Citizens due to Sanctuary law

Posts have been moved.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

GUWonder Feb 6, 2020 9:42 am

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 32039367)
I wonder if it affects renewal of GE for kids who do not have a DL.

It does. It’s based on residency, even for those with no DL from the state.

Originally Posted by richarddd (Post 32039740)
I wonder if they'll continue the mobile passport app.

It continues as usual. And it is used by CBP to process people in such a way that particular US state of residency doesn’t really matter in terms of the users who are US and Canadian citizens.

LHSEN Feb 6, 2020 12:16 pm

Do you need to enter a US address if you live abroad? I’ve been living abroad for exactly 20 years and no longer needed to pay state tax the last 15, when I applied only remember I had to provide address for like last 10 years or so, driver licenses (which is a foreign country license) ... how do they know your last state of residence?

TerryK Feb 6, 2020 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by LHSEN (Post 32040679)
Do you need to enter a US address if you live abroad? I’ve been living abroad for exactly 20 years and no longer needed to pay state tax the last 15, when I applied only remember I had to provide address for like last 10 years or so, driver licenses (which is a foreign country license) ... how do they know your last state of residence?

I don't know if DHS checks but IRS has all your tax filing records with addresses.

drewguy Feb 6, 2020 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix (Post 32039385)
NYer here:

My issue is what if you're in the enrollment stage? We have conditional approval and an interview pending in March... DHS gladly charged our credit card and charged us. If this stays as is, we better get our cash back.

Seems like once you've gotten conditional approval DHS had already obtained whatever information it needs; the interview is just to confirm it.

maninblack Feb 6, 2020 12:53 pm

We just got word that NY residents will be prevented from applying online for GE.

Conditionally approved applicants and those in "pending risk assessment" phases will be cancelled, and refunded.

Current members of NY will retain their membership until it expires.

GUWonder Feb 6, 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 32040759)
I don't know if DHS checks but IRS has all your tax filing records with addresses.

Having seen some approved GE applications for people whose IRS filings I’ve seen, I am sure that inconsistencies between the address history on file with the IRS and the address history on file with DHS has not been a general show-stopper — and may not even necessarily be a show-slower — when it comes to new or renewing GE membership applications.

Originally Posted by LHSEN (Post 32040679)

US citizens who have never resided in the US can be approved for GE without including any US address on the application, even as they may still be considered domiciled in a US state for some other federal government purposes.

jix Feb 6, 2020 2:04 pm

Looks like it started since morning per https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/4676815002/

NEXUS applicants turned away
DHS' decision was abruptly implemented Thursday.
Rita Schultz, a New York woman, traveled to Niagara Falls for a NEXUS interview Thursday morning, which was months in the making after she started the application process in July.
When she arrived, an agent asked which state she resided in. When she answered, she was turned away and told her $50 application fee would be refunded, Schultz said.
"He said, 'You're no longer eligible and your appointment has been canceled,'" Schultz said.

TWA884 Feb 6, 2020 2:16 pm

We Have a Definitive Answer from our Resident CBP Officer:

Folks,

Now that we have the definitive answer from maninblack, a CBP Officer, please stop speculating.

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 32040845)
We just got word that NY residents will be prevented from applying online for GE.

Conditionally approved applicants and those in "pending risk assessment" phases will be cancelled, and refunded.

Current members of NY will retain their membership until it expires.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

YoungSoloTraveler Feb 6, 2020 3:14 pm

If your not a NY state resident, can you still schedule interviews at NY offices?

GUWonder Feb 6, 2020 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler (Post 32041425)
If your not a NY state resident, can you still schedule interviews at NY offices?

EOA works at the NY airports of relevance, and the non-airport offices in NY had appointments today. Appointment slots at Bowling Green could be easier to come by, but it may be more clear what’s going on there as of Monday when they re-open for this purpose.