Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Kiosks Facial Recognition Verification, eGates and Declaration Flow Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS Kiosks Facial Recognition Verification, eGates and Declaration Flow Change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
According to this Tweet, the new NEXUS Kiosks were installed at YYZ T1 and T3.

Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
According to this Tweet, the new NEXUS Kiosks were installed at YYZ T1 and T3.

https://twitter.com/TorontoPearson/s...18495398809601
I used them on Friday in YYZ T1 - they had a small bank of 6 or so running. You could choose to use the old or the new ones.

I had the same experience with the reader as posted elsewhere about these machines in YVR, wouldn’t recognize the NEXUS card even when right on top and had to scan it instead. The rest of the flow, including the photo capture, was smooth. Lots of officials and airport staff watching.

bawm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:52 pm

Tried to use US NEXUS at YUL tonight. No go. didn’t ask me to scan passport or anything. Just “see agent for verification” right after tapping card.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:46 pm

So if I never got my irises scanned, I can now use Nexus at the facial-recognition enabled airports?

And I can use the GE machines when flying into USA? (Which was always true?).

Or does the iris scan procedure enable “Air” and my card wouldn’t have that enabled?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by tecate55
So if I never got my irises scanned, I can now use Nexus at the facial-recognition enabled airports?

And I can use the GE machines when flying into USA? (Which was always true?).

Or does the iris scan procedure enable “Air” and my card wouldn’t have that enabled?
To answer my own questions: You don't need iris scans to use the new facial recognition terminals.

And yes on the GE terminals when flying into USA (was always true, but instructions are confusing about needing a passport, but they mean in addition to your Nexus card, which is technically true).

There seems to be a trick to scanning the Nexus card in the new terminals (YYZ) that I'm too dumb to figure out (read: implemented without user testing), but the CSR immediately could get it working right away despite my 5x failures in a row.

I think there's a "right" place to hold it, but isn't indicated in the instructions.

T3 today was a good day to have Nexus.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I went to two machines and the RFID didn't work. It worked on my third machine.

They should just do the new global entry process in certain parts of the USA where it's jusr pure facial recognition. No cards.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:12 pm

It took 5 times longer to get through Pearson today. Would;dn't recognize the card. Wanted a passport again. Then machine failed, had to do it again. Then the agent where you normally just wave the piece of paper at wanted to see the passport and paper and crap. Dumb.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I confused. Apparently these kiosks are out in both YYZ T1 and T3, but the Primary Inspection Kiosks are not yet. One still has to fill out a paper declaration card in T1 to get access to the Connections Corridor? How does that make sense?
Old May 2, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
NEXUS UPDATE PROCEDURES (new Canadian airport kiosks - per Jan 2020 email)??

Last travelled to USA (SEA) from YOW vis YYZ. So I did not have to worry about this email. But my 25 yr old daughter will travel to USA later this month and maybe come back 2 months later - maybe she will not enter Canada back via YYZ or YUL or (flights from USA to Canada resume by then - to YOW) -assuming she flies back and not drives back

But I got an email Jan 2020 about the nexus cards requiring updating - see email below.
She looked at the trusted traveler web site and said her nexus card was in order.
So what needs to be done?

Dear NEXUS Member,

As recently announced, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has started replacing the NEXUS kiosks at Canadian airports to serve you better.

How the new kiosks will save you time
  • The new kiosks use facial verification and are user-friendly.
  • Ability to quickly tap your NEXUS card at the kiosk when prompted.
  • Simplified reporting process (including fewer screens to complete than the old kiosks).
  • You can now use the kiosks in groups.
Tips to make your first time using the new kiosks quick and easy
  • Before your next trip, please make sure that your NEXUS card is activated by logging into the Trusted Traveler Programs application portal. Every NEXUS card needs to be activated, even renewal and replacement cards.
  • Once you arrive at the airport, you may be asked to scan your passport at the kiosk so that your photo can be added to your NEXUS membership profile. Please have your passport ready and follow all on-screen instructions.
New declaration process
  • Declarations will not be completed at the new kiosks. If you have something to declare you must do so verbally, to an officer, at a clearly marked area in the customs hall after using the kiosk.
How the CBSA is protecting your privacy

The CBSA is committed to ensuring your privacy as a NEXUS member is upheld. The security and privacy of personal information has been factored into all elements of the kiosk design. Your personal information, including your passport photograph, will not be stored on the kiosk. The only information retained is saved securely on CBSA systems, in accordance with government information, privacy and security policies. All information is used strictly to confirm your identity on arrival to Canada.

Where the new kiosks are available
  • Vancouver International Airport
  • Montréal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport
  • Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport
  • Edmonton International Airport
Coming soon!

Over the next few months, the NEXUS kiosks at the airports below will be replaced with new kiosks:
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport
  • Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport
  • Calgary International Airport
  • Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport
Visit the CBSA’s NEXUS Air website for more information, including the step-by-step process for using the new kiosks. Our website will be regularly updated as the new kiosks are installed at the above airports.

Thank you for your patience as we modernize the NEXUS program to save you even more time at the border.

Sincerely,

Traveller Programs Directorate

Canada Border Services Agency
Old May 5, 2021, 8:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Instructions seems clear to me.

If flying to US, you need to do nothing.

If flying to Canada and want to use NEXUS bring your NEXUS card and passport the next time so that it can scan the passport photo.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:10 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by seawolf
Instructions seems clear to me.

If flying to US, you need to do nothing.

If flying to Canada and want to use NEXUS bring your NEXUS card and passport the next time so that it can scan the passport photo.
Not sure why they can't just get the info from the US databases since they'll have that from your application anyway. I imagine the people who fly and didn't apply for nexus with a passport is a minuscule number.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:03 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by xobile
Not sure why they can't just get the info from the US databases since they'll have that from your application anyway. I imagine the people who fly and didn't apply for nexus with a passport is a minuscule number.
How so? The only thing we know is CBP has your passport number and so does CBSA. There's no indication CBP is storing the passport photo.
Old May 6, 2021, 8:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
There's no indication CBP is storing the passport photo.
They do, take a look at this article: Biometric Breakthrough - How CBP is Meeting its Mandate and Keeping America Safe.

However, that is a topic for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum where the subject is actively discussed in the CBP Deploys Facial Recognition to Verify Identities of Departing Int'l Travelers thread.
seawolf likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
First Time Nexus Machines for a year- why did card did not work at kiosk?

for the few times I travelled outside of Canada since covid pandemic started March 2020- maybe a couple of times to USA last year- I came back via the USA- domestic connection CBSA desk at YYZ. No nexus machines

Yesterday, for the first time I came back from DCA to YOW via YYZ- my wife and I faced the new nexus Canadian kiosks.

Neither of our cards worked.

We tapped the cards - on the machine where is has a tap symbol. Nothing happened
(by the way, what is the role of the glass screen above this tapping area?)

Then we were directed to enter our nexus card into the machine to be scanned.
Nothing happened

( we turned the card upside down - but we tried to enter the card with the superior/top part of the card facing us, and then re-trying from scratch and inferior/lower part of the card facing us- which is correct?).

So was there a problem with the machine?
Could we have gone through the steps incorrectly of trying to activate the machine with our nexus cards?

Do we needed to update our nexus cards in some way?

If we had successfully activated the machine- what would have been the next steps and instructions?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
for the few times I travelled outside of Canada since covid pandemic started March 2020- maybe a couple of times to USA last year- I came back via the USA- domestic connection CBSA desk at YYZ. No nexus machines

Yesterday, for the first time I came back from DCA to YOW via YYZ- my wife and I faced the new nexus Canadian kiosks.

Neither of our cards worked.

We tapped the cards - on the machine where is has a tap symbol. Nothing happened
(by the way, what is the role of the glass screen above this tapping area?)

Then we were directed to enter our nexus card into the machine to be scanned.
Nothing happened

( we turned the card upside down - but we tried to enter the card with the superior/top part of the card facing us, and then re-trying from scratch and inferior/lower part of the card facing us- which is correct?).

So was there a problem with the machine?
Could we have gone through the steps incorrectly of trying to activate the machine with our nexus cards?

Do we needed to update our nexus cards in some way?

If we had successfully activated the machine- what would have been the next steps and instructions?
next steps instructions:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/kiosk-eng.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.