Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do NEXUS Members Need to Schedule an Interview for APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do NEXUS Members Need to Schedule an Interview for APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: United

I just applied for my ABTC/APEC after receiving my NEXUS card last month. However, I live overseas currently and I travel to the US about 2-3 times a year, typically for a week.

I've got an upcoming work trip, stopping over in San Francisco en route to a city that doesn't have a ABTC enrollment center.

My question is, can I stop in at the San Fran SFO registration location and do it without appointment or should I make plans to travell to a registration-listed city (whcih would be basically eat a day of travel time to and from)

Many thanks
Old May 7, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Technically for ABTC/APEC signature you don't need an appointment. When I got my APEC approval, I did make an appointment at EWR since there were lots of slots open in convenient times for me. While waiting at the enrollment center, when I told them I was there for APEC signature the agent asked a bit sternly if I had an appointment, which I had. The EWR GE center was not busy at all, a few people there for there appointments, nobody waiting for a walk-in, so I don't know why the agent seemed a bit uptight about the appointment. I don't know about SFO, and it clearly states that APEC signature processing does not require an appointment, YMMV.

Also during the processing, while already approved, the agent asked me how often I travel to Asia and if my travel was business related. I told the agent yes, for business travel about 6 times a year. I don't know if they cross checked the answers against my pattern.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks Synth.

I just got my Nexus and it seemed the website was directing me to book an appointment. It was be nice to just show up at SFO and get it done as opposed to book a domestic travel day..

I'm poking around on the website looking for a phone number to call. Anyone know?
Old May 8, 2019, 5:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Nearly 2 years ago, 3 of us did separate walk-ins at SFO and it was fine... No clue now.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks Sharks. Appreciate that. I'll try in June when i'm there. Might just book an appointment for August when I'm back in the US.

Side question, I didn't have to submit a new set of data and it seems that the NEXUS application was used to verify for ABTC. In fact, the guy in Detroit asked questions about where I was travelling to frequently, which is why I was surprised by the additional interview requirements
Old May 11, 2019, 5:25 pm

Anybody able to do walk in interview anywhere across the US? If so, please share or PM me. Thanks!!

The system would only allow me schedule a interview at a NEXUS enrollment center, I don't go to Canada very often if ever nowadays. I think its a glitch in the system because I have NEXUS.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

That's what i'm thinking Benny. Same issue and I haven't been able to confirm yet. Can one simply call the Nexus program office or the ABTC office?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Rang up the Enrollment Center

Called an enrollment center and they said I can just walk in. Will give it a try next month and report back
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Seat52K
That's what i'm thinking Benny. Same issue and I haven't been able to confirm yet. Can one simply call the Nexus program office or the ABTC office?
Any update? I just tried ABTC signature collection on arrival at LAX. Again, no luck. lol
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:14 pm

I was able to have the signature collection done at DTW on international arrival in May
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by HanBkk
I was able to have the signature collection done at DTW on international arrival in May
For what it is worth I drove by SFO over lunch today. The officer there said no drop-in visitors, but that I could do the signature collection on arrival. She said it was a new policy in the past week or two. Not sure if it is the same at other Global Entry stations.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

ABTC/APEC Interview for a NEXUS member - how to schedule

I'm a NEXUS member with a partially approved ABTC process. The issue is that I need to schedule a ABTC interview but when I log into the TTP portal, the locations that are available to choose, I think, are NEXUS only locations? The San Francisco airport location doesn't show up, and they don't accept walk-ins. So, here I am in California with a valid NEXUS card and a partially approved ABTC but I cannot contact any center by phone (dialed 10 of them), cannot contact the TTP program, have sent emails, but no response.

Any recommendations on what to do?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I call to the local Global Entry office and they advised that they only process ABTC cards for US citizens at the SFO airport. Is this correct? I did my NEXUS interview in Detroit....
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Anyone with a suggestion?

Can a ABTC interview for a Canadian with NEXUS be done at all of the airport centers or is it just the Canadian border locations?
If I had applied with a different passport number (temporary) and now I have my full passport. Is it possible to change it during the interview?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I have no personal experience, however, according to the Canada Border Services Agency website:
Applications and renewals are coordinated through the U.S. Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System. Once your application is approved, you will be asked to visit an Enrolment Centre to finalize your enrolment and provide a digitized signature. You will then receive your card by mail.
Seems like any Global Entry Enrollment Center will do. To the best of my knowledge, no appointments are required in order to stop by to update documents or provide a digital signature for the ABTC/APEC card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.