FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   I applied for the wrong Trusted Traveler program, how do I correct the mistake? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1922141-i-applied-wrong-trusted-traveler-program-how-do-i-correct-mistake.html)

gpandaleon Jul 27, 2018 11:25 am

I applied for the wrong Trusted Traveler program, how do I correct the mistake?

When attempting to renew my expired Global Entry account I mistakenly applied for Nexus instead. I found an FAQ on the CBP website that indicated that I could change my application from Nexus to Global Entry as long as I had not scheduled an interview yet - which I haven't. However, I cannot find a way to make the change in my account. Does anyone know what steps to follow on the CBP website to change my application from Nexus to Global Entry?

TWA884 Jul 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk @gpandaleon!

I suspect that there is a link to make corrections in the "Manage My Application" page of the site. I can't experiment, because I do not have a pending application (a few days ago, I did).

Make sure to allow pop-ups and disable any ad blocking, content-filtering and privacy software/extensions that you may be running in order for the TTP website to properly function and display all your options. I learned that the hard way ;).

You can always call a Global Entry Enrollment Center for help, but be prepared for long waits for them to answer.

Good luck!

1KChinito Jul 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by gpandaleon (Post 30019550)
When attempting to renew my expired Global Entry account I mistakenly applied for Nexus instead. I found an FAQ on the CBP website that indicated that I could change my application from Nexus to Global Entry as long as I had not scheduled an interview yet - which I haven't. However, I cannot find a way to make the change in my account. Does anyone know what steps to follow on the CBP website to change my application from Nexus to Global Entry?

Welcome to FT.

If you applied for SENTRI or NEXUS but want Gobal Entry (GE), you can go into your account, convert the application to a GE application, and pay the difference in the application fee. You will not be able to do this if you have already scheduled your SENTRI or NEXUS interview. If you do that, then your only option is to cancel your application and apply again.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...aveler-program

TWA884 Jul 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito (Post 30019969)
If you applied for SENTRI or NEXUS but want Gobal Entry (GE), you can go into your account, convert the application to a GE application, and pay the difference in the application fee. You will not be able to do this if you have already scheduled your SENTRI or NEXUS interview. If you do that, then your only option is to cancel your application and apply again.

The OP found the FAQ on the CBP website with that information. However, he or she was unable to find how to change the application from NEXUS to Global Entry.

Originally Posted by gpandaleon (Post 30019550)
I found an FAQ on the CBP website that indicated that I could change my application from Nexus to Global Entry as long as I had not scheduled an interview yet - which I haven't. However, I cannot find a way to make the change in my account

gpandaleon Jul 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Applied to the wrong Trusted Traveler Program

The FAQ suggesting that you can change your application and pay the difference in the fee is wrong. I finally connected with CBP through their email help facility, and they were reasonably responsive (4-6 hours for a reply). You cannot modify or even cancel your application once it has been submitted and the fee is paid. They have to do this for you, and the fee is forfeited. Once they cancelled my Nexus application I was able to apply to renew my Global Entry membership.

Nexus provides everything that Global Entry does, costs half as much ($50 vs $100) for the application and also provides fast passage across the Canadian border in both directions. That's the good news. The bad news is that it takes 3-4 months to process the application, and an interview is required. The interview locations are limited to Canadian border crossings, so if you don't live near the border, and don't travel frquentlty to Canada on the ground it is a nuisance to get to the interview. I live in Chicago, so the closest border crossing for me is in Detroit.

Jackvz Mar 19, 2019 6:49 am

Originally Posted by gpandaleon (Post 30029487)
The FAQ suggesting that you can change your application and pay the difference in the fee is wrong. I finally connected with CBP through their email help facility, and they were reasonably responsive (4-6 hours for a reply). You cannot modify or even cancel your application once it has been submitted and the fee is paid. They have to do this for you, and the fee is forfeited. Once they cancelled my Nexus application I was able to apply to renew my Global Entry membership.

Nexus provides everything that Global Entry does, costs half as much ($50 vs $100) for the application and also provides fast passage across the Canadian border in both directions. That's the good news. The bad news is that it takes 3-4 months to process the application, and an interview is required. The interview locations are limited to Canadian border crossings, so if you don't live near the border, and don't travel frquentlty to Canada on the ground it is a nuisance to get to the interview. I live in Chicago, so the closest border crossing for me is in Detroit.

I am having exactly the same issue with not being able to find out how to cancel my Nexus application. I didnt do my homework and found out that the interview locations are very inconvenient for me so I have decided to just cancel my Nexus application.

How did you actually cancel the Nexus application? My nexus application is in the conditional approval status and now I cant cancel it nor can I renew the GE....

droopydog Apr 8, 2019 4:50 pm

I have a similar problem. I applied for the Korea Smart Entry Service and that application process is not completed until you visit Korea and finish it there. But my travel to Korea has been indefinitely postponed. Now my account is locked because of that pending application and I cannot update my passport or driver licence. Any ideas on how to just cancel this application? There is nothing obvious on the web page.

droopy

aflyertalk Jun 30, 2022 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by gpandaleon (Post 30029487)

Which email did you use to connect with them? I've made a similar mistake and have no idea how to fix it.

mnbp Jul 1, 2022 8:00 am

Originally Posted by aflyertalk (Post 34385946)
Which email did you use to connect with them? I've made a similar mistake and have no idea how to fix it.

From the TTP home page at https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ , towards the very bottom of the page under the heading Contact Support / CBP Support, click "Need Help?". Here's what you'll see:

Get Help On-line
Send us an email through our support portal at https://help.cbp.gov/s/questions?language=en_US. To ensure a faster response, please be sure to select "Trusted Traveler Programs" as your primary topic and then the subtopic that most closely describes your question.

sooper Sep 28, 2022 12:51 pm

Can anyone say how long application cancellations are taking? I called and asked them to cancel my application for vehicle registration (so i could take my car to mexico as part of sentri) because I have to renew my global entry card before it expires, and the pending vehicle registration application was preventing a renewal of any other application. They submitted my request for cancellation but say it can take "3 - 8 weeks" for cancellation. Anyone know how long it is really taking for them to cancel an application?

cajunguy Jan 4, 2024 9:13 am

@mnhp Thank you for posting the info! I mistakenly applied for the NEXUS when going to renew for GE. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to go through the process of canceling it.