Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Card at CDN Pre-Clearance GE Kiosks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Nexus,GE

I have searched for this and was unable to find a definitive answer.

I have been led to believe that Global Entry machines in Cdn pre-clearance areas accept nexus cards in addition to either Cdn or US passports. I usually use my Cdn passport and tried to use my nexus once but was unable to have the GE machine read the card.

Is this possible? Not a big deal but it means one less item to have at the ready since the Nexus card is already out for security.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
On webpage https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ams/nexus/card , the CBP says this:

Entering the United States

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks for entry at participating airports.

When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mistermap

I had seen this and this matches what some have told me. I guess my question is really HOW is the card read by the GE machine?

I tried placing the NEXUS card (both sides) on the scanner. No luck. NO doubt I did something incorrectly.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
Here's a thread that is relevant:

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

See especially around post 161. The consensus is that you want the card to be face up, with the top edge of the card closer to you. This would match the expected orientation of a passport.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
This is also discussed in The NEXUS Information Thread:
Originally Posted by mistermap
According to the CBP webpage, https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ams/nexus/card , you can use your Nexus card in pre-clearance areas:

All NEXUS members can enjoy the benefits of Global Entry at no additional cost through using the Global Entry kiosks for entry at participating airports.

When using the Global Entry kiosks in Canada Preclearance locations you can use your passport, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card or NEXUS card. You cannot use your NEXUS card at Global Entry kiosks outside of Canadian Preclearance locations. At all other ports, you will need to use your passport or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident card.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - heading stateside next week. Will try Nexus card face up on the GE machine with the top of my picture closed to me on the scanner.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by deeker
Thanks all - heading stateside next week. Will try Nexus card face up on the GE machine with the top of my picture closed to me on the scanner.
1) Look at your passport picture page - in particular, the lines of text >>>FIRST>LAST> etc.
2) Look at your Nexus card - on the back. You'll see very similar lines of text >>>FIRST>LAST> etc.

It's those lines of text that the kiosk is reading.

You want to orient these characters - printed on the back of your Nexus card - the same way those characters would be oriented if you had instead inserted your passport following the machine's instructions.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: AC 25K, Aeroplan Amex Reserve
Originally Posted by mistermap
On webpage https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ams/nexus/card , the CBP says this:

i used mine at YYZ on Wednesday. Photo side up with the top edge of the card facing me.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks all FTers - tried it Sunday. Worked like a charm.

Photo side up with top edge of card facing me. I then pushed the card away from me to the "farthest" edge of the scanner.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I always use my NEXUS card at a Canadian pre-clearance facility. While it can work right side up, it absolutely works better upside down, with the top of my head in the photo being oriented toward me. Generally works right in the middle of the pad.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Photo side facing up and top of card (top of your head in photo) pointed towards you should be the best orientation because NEXUS card Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) would be in the same orientation as passport MRZ as far as the scanner is concern.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Last month I received my renewed <NEXUS> card.
When traveling to Canada in the past, I would always put my US passport in the Global Entry machine (as well as doing the fingerprint scanner). Do I therefore need to have my passport updated?
Or have the Global Entry machines been updated where I can just enter my <NEXUS> card (without my Passport)?
Thanks.

Newman

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 12, 2018 at 2:33 pm Reason: Correction based upon later clarification by the OP
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Newman
Last month I received my renewed Global Entry card.
When traveling to Canada in the past, I would always put my US passport in the Global Entry machine (as well as doing the fingerprint scanner). Do I therefore need to have my passport updated?
Or have the Global Entry machines been updated where I can just enter my Global Entry card (without my Passport)?
Thanks.

Newman
I don't think you can ...

Only your passport or lawful permanent resident card are accepted at Global Entry kiosks. The Global Entry card cannot be used at Global Entry kiosks. NEXUS cards are accepted at Global Entry kiosks located on Canadian Preclearance Airports.
source
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Newman
Last month I received my renewed Global Entry card.
Or have the Global Entry machines been updated where I can just enter my Global Entry card (without my Passport)?
Thanks.

Newman
You need to use your U.S. Passport at a Global Entry kiosk. Have you updated your new U.S. Passport online yet?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You need to use your U.S. Passport at a Global Entry kiosk. Have you updated your new U.S. Passport online yet?
I went to update my Passport online, but there was nothing to update. My name, Passport info, birthdate haven't changed. There was no option to update my Passport info to indicate my Nexus has been renewed.

Newman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.