Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Signed up for GE and PreCheck - which KTN/PASSID to use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signed up for GE and PreCheck - which KTN/PASSID to use?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Agree - GE gives you everything PC does, plus more in some situations, so I always use it.

There are mixed stories on GE being "exempt" from "random" selection, but I haven't been randomly selected in the years I've had GE.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
No issues...totally separate processes. GE definitely more stringent..and if approved for that, use your GE/PassID number going forward for Pre.
I have had TSA precheck, but, after getting an offer for GE with my new CC, I applied for and received GE.

My question is this: Given that I have never had any issues with precheck, and that my TT number is already in all my FF accounts, is there any reason to update the number to the GE number?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Your GE membership will expire after your TSA number.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I have had TSA precheck, but, after getting an offer for GE with my new CC, I applied for and received GE.

My question is this: Given that I have never had any issues with precheck, and that my TT number is already in all my FF accounts, is there any reason to update the number to the GE number?
My wife & I are in the same situation. We were approved yesterday for GE. We have had Precheck on all recent flights. I don't why or if we should change all our accounts.

GE is linked to our passports correct?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pulley
My wife & I are in the same situation. We were approved yesterday for GE. We have had Precheck on all recent flights. I don't why or if we should change all our accounts.

GE is linked to our passports correct?
You can leave your KTN the way it is until your TSA Precheck is about to expire, then you can change your KTN on your FF accounts your GE KTN since it has a later expiration date.

Yes your GE is linked to your passport number.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by Steve T
You can leave your KTN the way it is until your TSA Precheck is about to expire, then you can change your KTN on your FF accounts your GE KTN since it has a later expiration date.

Thanks Steve!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Steve T

Good info, thanks!
Old May 18, 2017, 11:42 am

I have GE, then got PreCheck, renewed GE - now have two PreCheck numbers. What to do?

I signed up for Global Entry as soon as the program was available to me (I am a non-US citizen/legal permanent resident green card holder). This was before PreCheck was included as part of Global Entry. I was approved for Global Entry and have happily been a member since then.

I became a member of PreCheck in late 2013 and my PreCheck number is different than my Global Entry number.

I received a notification from CBP/GOES that my Global Entry was expiring in August and to renew it, so I applied to renew it some weeks back. Today I received the notification that my renewal for Global Entry was approved, and I can use the program immediately. The notice states that my Global Entry number will also act as my Known Traveler Number for TSA PreCheck.

The PreCheck I had signed up for independently expires towards the end of this year. When I visit universalenroll.dhs.gov and click the "check service status" link, and enter my name/DOB, it says my program is active and returns my PreCheck number I was issued when I independently signed up for PreCheck in 2013.

I am unsure which PreCheck number I should be using - the one I was issued when I signed up originally in 2013, or my Global Entry number? I am obviously the same person and CBP/TSA has enough information about me to know I'm the same person, and I am absolutely sure I am not the first person to sign up for GE prior to TSA Precheck being an included benefit, then get Precheck, then renew GE after Precheck was added - so hopefully someone else has gone through this and can offer their wisdom on the matter?

Do I need to contact someone (who?) about this to sort it out? Or do I need to continue using my old TSA Pre # until it expires? Or just switch to the new GE number immediately? Or can I use either one interchangeably?

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Your KTN (Known Traveler Number) is your PassID from GE.

You can stop using the TSA PreCheck number and just let that expire.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Your KTN (Known Traveler Number) is your PassID from GE.

You can stop using the TSA PreCheck number and just let that expire.
+1

You only need one KTN to get all of the benefits. Since GE > TSA Pre, always use the GE KTN.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK GE always included PreCheck from the beginning, although at that time most airline FFs were given PreCheck almost every time even if they didn't have a Known Traveler Number.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It doesn't matter. If you have more than one valid KTN, you may enter any non-expired number. If your current number is generally functioning just fine, don't bother changing it until it is close to expiration. At that time, switch to the KTN associated with your GE.

Or make the switch now. It doesn't matter.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK GE always included PreCheck from the beginning, although at that time most airline FFs were given PreCheck almost every time even if they didn't have a Known Traveler Number.
There was a short period of time when LPRs (or any non-US citizen) would not get pre-check through GE but could sign up for pre-check directly.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:27 am

Thank you TWA884

Quick couple of questions
1. My last name is super long(X + Y + Z) which doesnt fit into most of FF online accounts. So they use X + Y. With KTN and PP having all 3 parts, would I run into trouble availing the full benefits? I take this shouldnt affect since at Port of Entry, I use my passport, but places where I plan to use the TSA pre check aspect of the benefit, it might fail. What's my best option?
2. Im currently TSA pre-check. I take KTN trumps that.? so update all FF with the new info?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:42 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Hi @krisk17

I moved your post to a more relevant thread.

As far as you long name is concerned, if you experienced no issues with PreCheck, I don't see why you would with Global Entry.

I'm sure that has been discussed in this forum; I'll post a link to that thread soon.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.