Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Interview During Domestic to International Connection at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

The Global Entry appointment wait time at my local airport is long (upwards of 3 months), so I'm going to attempt to squeeze in an appointment while transiting through JFK this coming Saturday. (GE is nice but what I really want is TSA Pre in advance of a family trip next month...)

I'm arriving at ~1745 on DL domestic, departing on DL int'l at 1935, and my appointment is at 1815.

Can someone clarify exactly what transferring domestic-to-intl at JFK T4 entails, especially in relation to the location of the CBP office there?

I don't necessarily mind having to leave security and go back in, but if it's going to be too much hassle then I'll reschedule my appointment. Does flying J get any sort of security-queue benefit at T4? Also undecided yet as to whether I'll check a bag at origin or just bring a smaller roll-on and have that to tote with me, if that's something I should consider.

Thanks in advance; all suggestions (and most flames) welcome.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Your DL domestic-International transfer can be done air side, but the GE office is landside.

International J on DL should get you priority security access, but given the time of day it could be quite busy. It's been a while since I have been to T4 so I can't give you any indication of how long security might take.

If your inbound flight is on time, you should have enough time but it might be tight.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I would suggest taking an earlier flight if possible in case the flight is delayed.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Taking an earlier flight will be challenging, so I may simply have to see what time my inbound flight arrives and see if I can get opinions on how long it's likely to take me to get back through security. I definitely agree that it's a busy time of day for outbound flights (especially int'l eastbound).

Absolute worst-case, I'll have to reschedule my interview for my local office, likely in early October :-( Which would be annoying but hardly the end of the world, since it's right about where I started out. (I tried a walk-in yesterday but they were full.)

If there are any other opinions, including "it's madness; don't bother", I'm happy to hear them.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Smooth as silk

I'm happy to report that Murphy's Law made no appearance in my evening.

Inbound landed on time. I dashed to the GE office and was called to a desk by a friendly officer right on time for my 1815 interview. Interview was very quick and mostly consisted of confirming some information and fingerprint scans. Security wasn't bad and I'm on board my outbound flight.

Now, to:
1. Add my KTN for my return trip
2. Never expect to have that kind of luck again
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Congratulations!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:30 am

Lucky you, and congratulations +1.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
GE Interview JFK T4

So I must go through another interview to get GE renewed. I guess multiple trips to Palestine, Russia, and China triggered this needless distraction.

I will be coming in from ATL (DL 843) and be going on to ATH. I would appreciate knowing where to go for the interview as I have only been to T4 one time and it was one year ago.

I have the interview scheduled for 30 minutes after arrival from ATL so what happens if that particular flight is late? They seem to book appointments fairly tight although August 15 (Sat) is not full at this point.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:06 pm

The GE interview room was landside at T4, downstairs, a little bit to the left of middle of the terminal if looking at the terminal from the road. (On the side closer to T2/T1). So when you come out of immigration/customs, turn left, and it's on the left, along the same wall of the door you came out from.

I wouldn't worry too much about appointment time, especially on a Saturday. My experience with this center was from about 3 years ago, when GE first started. But they were incredibly nice and would often take walk-ins. You should be fine, especially if you explain you're doing it while transiting.

(Sorry -- read it wrong. You're coming from ATL, not ATH.) In any event, go downstairs to street level and follow instructions above.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:17 pm

I have not been downstairs in T4. Does that mean another run through security when I exit the interview? At least I should have PreCheck to get me on the way to the lounge for that D1 'light meal'.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
I have not been downstairs in T4. Does that mean another run through security when I exit the interview? At least I should have PreCheck to get me on the way to the lounge for that D1 'light meal'.
Yes, it is landside. So after the interview you'll have to go upstairs to departures and through security. Turn left out of the interview, then left at the end, then up the elevator or escalator. Elevator is slightly quicker than escalator if you don't have to wait for it. Going this way gets you closer to the D1/Sky entrance (although you will not be checking bags) and the Precheck line.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by flyerwma
Yes, it is landside. So after the interview you'll have to go upstairs to departures and through security. Turn left out of the interview, then left at the end, then up the elevator or escalator. Elevator is slightly quicker than escalator if you don't have to wait for it. Going this way gets you closer to the D1/Sky entrance (although you will not be checking bags) and the Precheck line.
You can also clear security on the lower level, depending on time of day. (Basically you make a U turn after the interview and go past the escalators, not up them.) This is primarily the international arrivals re-clearance checkpoint, but anyone can use it. (I used to before they added MMWs downstairs.) IIRC, there is no dedicated Pre-√, but last time I used it they did Pre-√ lite (where you can leave your shoes on and use the WTMD if you LLL).

On the way to the interview, use the exit for passengers without checked bags. It'll drop you right near the GE interview room. Actually, it'll take you past the same checkpoint I just described.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by flyerwma
The GE interview room was landside at T4, downstairs, a little bit to the left of middle of the terminal if looking at the terminal from the road. (On the side closer to T2/T1). So when you come out of immigration/customs, turn left, and it's on the left, along the same wall of the door you came out from.

(Sorry -- read it wrong. You're coming from ATL, not ATH.) In any event, go downstairs to street level and follow instructions above.
My DL flight from ATL to JFK will likely deplane at T2. So I take the little bus to T4 and go downstairs somewhere then looking for the GE interview rooms at about the half-way point of the terminal?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:37 am

Would trying a JFK walk-in interview tomorrow mean an extra security screening?

Tomorrow (Friday) I travel Aus --> JFK --> Dubai.
My first available Austin Texas Global Entry airport interview is scheduled for July

I'd like to try a walk-in interview at JFK.
I've read that the JFK walk-in location is: Terminal 4, "Main Lobby next to Bag Reclaim"

Question:
Will trying this mean that I have to go through an additional security scan in Terminal 4?
Or, will I need to go through another security scan anyway because I'm transferring from Terminal 5 to Terminal 4?

Data:
JetBlue Austin --> JFK lands in Terminal 5 at 10:37am.
Emirates JFK --> Dubai departs from Terminal 4 at 4:30pm.
Emirates told me I need to checkin 3 hours in advance @ 1:30pm.

<deleted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 6, 2017 at 9:27 am Reason: Off topic - please refer to moderator's note below
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

@MareLuce,

I merged your post into an existing thread discussing the logistics of having the Global Entry interview between flights at JFK.

Please reask your question concerning interlining luggage between JetBlue and Emirates in either the JetBlue or Emirates forums.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.