Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus in Canadian airports, outgoing flights (intl)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

So far I understand Nexus/GE works great when entering Canada or entering US and subsequently leaving Canada to go to US and Leaving US to go to Canada.

But what about if you're in Canada and leaving to another country, in the airport it's still CBSA processing security regardless which location you're heading to, so would Nexus still speed up or there are no Nexus machines or whatever to speed up?

I understand when arriving in the foreign country like say France or Mexico, Nexus has no bearing, but I'm just concerned about leaving Canada.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:05 pm

There's no passport control when you leave Canada.

You can use a nexus lane at security if there is one but beyond that nexus does nothing for flying from Canada.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by iMedic
There's no passport control when you leave Canada.

You can use a nexus lane at security if there is one but beyond that nexus does nothing for flying from Canada. These security lanes have nothing to do with CBSA.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Ok I'm sort of confused, so Nexus has nothing to do with security lines when they make you take off your shoes, xray your carry on and check the 100mL liquids etc?

It's only for customs check like when you talk to the CBSA or CBP agent (similar in land crossing)?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:08 pm

Depending the airport you will have expedited screening with some relaxed rules for flying to the states. Flying international it's usually just a shorter line with the same check as everyone else.

With that said, I can't remember the last time I had to take my shoes off flying international.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlashEngineer
Ok I'm sort of confused, so Nexus has nothing to do with security lines when they make you take off your shoes, xray your carry on and check the 100mL liquids etc?

It's only for customs check like when you talk to the CBSA or CBP agent (similar in land crossing)?
There's an expedited CATSA security line (like TSA Pre) for those with Nexus cards; in addition to its use for entering Canada or the USA
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CZBB
There's an expedited CATSA security line (like TSA Pre) for those with Nexus cards; in addition to its use for entering Canada or the USA
The Nexus expedited security is not really like TSA pre at all. It's Available to any Nexus card holder, for one thing, while Pre is not done like that, your access is per trip, and the bar code in your boarding pass has to have a certain code in it, and while Nexus/GE members will often get it, they won't always. The Canadian expedited security for Nexus members also lets you keep your shoes on for US-bound flights, like Pre, but laptops still have to come out of their case, etc.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
The Nexus expedited security is not really like TSA pre at all. It's Available to any Nexus card holder, for one thing, while Pre is not done like that, your access is per trip, and the bar code in your boarding pass has to have a certain code in it, and while Nexus/GE members will often get it, they won't always. The Canadian expedited security for Nexus members also lets you keep your shoes on for US-bound flights, like Pre, but laptops still have to come out of their case, etc.
Ok so this expedited line, CATSA line, where or how do I get to it? If I'm leaving in Terminal 1 @ YYZ, I know there's a nexus entrance on Level 3, do I just go through there?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlashEngineer
Ok so this expedited line, CATSA line, where or how do I get to it? If I'm leaving in Terminal 1 @ YYZ, I know there's a nexus entrance on Level 3, do I just go through there?
There should be a sign for the Nexus priority line. Just follow that.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by CZBB
Global Entry cards also gain one access to these lines. I found out about this yesterday at YVR when I saw a sign indicating a special line for Global Entry/NEXUS/Air Crew just after dropping my checked bag at the US Departures luggage drop. My wife and I both had our GE cards and bypassed a long security line for a line with zero wait. Then we hit the GE Kiosks at the US CBP preclearance area and bypassed more long lines.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:56 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Barcky
Global Entry cards also gain one access to these lines.
Only for transborder flights, though. If you're flying YVR-YYZ, you only get to use the shorter security line if you have NEXUS rather than Global Entry.

See Trusted Traveler CATSA Security Lines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.