Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The same question covers both food and whether you've been hanging out with foreign farm animals. I can report firsthand that if you really want to confuse the agent, checking yes to that question and then telling the agent that you were not bringing food in but rather that you'd been hiking in sheep pastures in Wales will very likely do just that. Apparently sometimes honesty is not only the best policy but the most puzzling one.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The same question covers both food and whether you've been hanging out with foreign farm animals. I can report firsthand that if you really want to confuse the agent, checking yes to that question and then telling the agent that you were not bringing food in but rather that you'd been hiking in sheep pastures in Wales will very likely do just that. Apparently sometimes honesty is not only the best policy but the most puzzling one.
When I have done this at ORD they haven't been confused. They just send you to Agriculture to get your shoes disinfected, although Agriculture also scan your bags for food
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
I was traveling through YYZ today via a trip from HND to SFO to YYZ to ATL. On my last leg I forgot to declare the duty free chocolate I purchased stupidly as I was clearing customs in the Us for the second time that day. Stupid on my part. Agent told me I need to declare next time and said it was a violation. I wasn’t fined. For those who got revoked was there always a fine? And also how soon did they let you know via email if your status was revoked?

Thanks for all replies
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I came through JFK today using GE.

based on the question asked on the machine I answered ‘yes’ because it was unspecific as to what it actually meant. It just mentioned ‘food’ in amongst the other items listed.

the machine spits out my receipt with a big circle printed on one part of it. I hand it over to the agent minding the GE queue and she just took it and said nothing!

it wasn’t like I was bringing in a side of beef just some sweets, oxo cubes and cup-a-soup so hardly a major risk to the USA but it does make a mockery of the question if you are going to ignore the answer.
I had a similar experience coming through SFO the other day. Machine printed out "Report to Baggage Control" -- handed slip to the officer manning the booth; she asked what I was carrying (chocolate) and then took my slip and waved me through. I then exited landside and had a minor panic attack as I realized I didn't actually end up reporting to "Baggage Control" afterwards ... ended up asking some CBP officers walking around outside on break who indicated I'm in the clear as long as I had my passport on me.

What actually happens if there is something they need to inspect? Do they give you back the slip and you take it to the X-Ray scanners post-baggage-claim?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Exec P, Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pres. Club, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by edstorm1
So I forgot I had an apple from an earlier flight and was caught at Detroit airport with an apple at the customs checkpoint. Will this revoke my Global Entry privileges?

Thanks.
hey did anything come of this?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Polytonic
What actually happens if there is something they need to inspect? Do they give you back the slip and you take it to the X-Ray scanners post-baggage-claim?
You get sent to Agriculture who seem always ro run bags through the scanners even if they aren't interested in what you declare.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I had a similar experience coming through SFO the other day. Machine printed out "Report to Baggage Control" -- handed slip to the officer manning the booth; she asked what I was carrying (chocolate) and then took my slip and waved me through. I then exited landside and had a minor panic attack as I realized I didn't actually end up reporting to "Baggage Control" afterwards ... ended up asking some CBP officers walking around outside on break who indicated I'm in the clear as long as I had my passport on me.

At SFO the agent behind the row of GE machines will decide if you need to have something checked - if they take your GE slip and wave you through, you can just leave. If they specifically tell you to have your bag checked, you will know about it.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
At SFO the agent behind the row of GE machines will decide if you need to have something checked - if they take your GE slip and wave you through, you can just leave. If they specifically tell you to have your bag checked, you will know about it.
Ah, good to know.

I guess goes to show how often I re-enter with food (which is to say, basically never, heh).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:59 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search purposes, a recent question whether a service animal needs to be declared was moved to the relevant thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
During her GE renewal interview, my 9-year old received an unsolicited lecture from the CBP agent on the importance of declaring food. She was told "if you bring any fruit into the country, your parents will be fined $500 and you will lose GE for the rest of your life." She repeated this several times for emphasis.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Thanks for this thread, in any case. Declared everything (canned tea leaves and ground coffee and some leftover chocolate from when I left the US), got the "not necessaries" from the CBP, replied with "better than losing GE"
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search purposes, posts discussing bringing alcohol purchased at airport duty-free shop back into the secured area after arriving in the US and clearing immigration and customs inspections were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
RG1X likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 16, 2019 at 9:09 am Reason: Update
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Thanks for this thread, in any case. Declared everything (canned tea leaves and ground coffee and some leftover chocolate from when I left the US), got the "not necessaries" from the CBP, replied with "better than losing GE"
I was rudely told in PHL that I made a "bad decision" for declaring candy bars I had with me. He said only fruit, veg, meat, etc. I said that the form says "food," and he responded, "that's not what the form says!" Haha, wow. Maybe he needs to read the form himself or get the language updated.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:49 am

I've been tutted at over it, but frankly I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I tend to carry protein bars and I'm always worried they'll be considered animal products as they contain a by-product of cheese.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
A couple of years back, my mom (while coming from India) packed Rice in my bag. At that time I was GE, but my wife and kids were not and so I never used the GE kiosks. Customs found the rice (I had not declared any food) and gave me a sound hearing and said that especially since I was GE, I had more responsibilities to declare these items. Now I feel so lucky, that my GE was not revoked. Since that day, I have never carried anything like that and whenever I come from abroad, declare every food item I have.
Last month when transiting thru JFK I completely forgot about a Pear I had in my back pack and was asked to scan my bags and was asked if I had any food. I had completely forgotten about the Pear and as I was placing my bag on the belt I remembered it and told the person scanning the bag about it. She said I was lucky and if they had found it, it would have been a huge penalty (I guess $500 as what others have mentioned)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.