Wiki Posts
Search

PreCheck with Children

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even without membership in GE/PreCheck (or other US DHS trusted traveler or DOD programs), minor children of the mentioned ages can go through PreCheck screening (even without PreCheck notation on their boarding pass) with older/adult companions who have PreCheck notations on their boarding pass. The exception for such minor children is if they happen to have been hit with a SSSS notation for additional screening, for then at least one person — and more probably at least two — in the travel party will be subject to additional/slower screening upon getting to the (non-ID) passenger/cabin baggage screening machines.

From TSA:

”Children ages 12 and younger may use the TSA Pre✓® lane when traveling with a parent or guardian who has the indicator on their boarding pass. Travelers 13 and older who do not have a TSA Pre✓® boarding pass must go through standard security lanes or apply. Before applying, TSA recommends reviewing the various DHS trusted traveler programs, such as the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI, to determine the best program for your family.”

The exception for children of such age as yours: if they get hit with SSSS on boarding passes — and it does happen to young kids from time to time. Otherwise they are good to get PreCheck type screening as long as they are accompanied by a person with PreCheck notation on the boarding pass for the same flight.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 7, 2018 at 1:59 am
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Originally Posted by pdragn78
So my understanding is that if we are in the U.S. (not flying internationally) and my wife and I have Global entry (but kids do not), they would still be allowed in the TSA precheck line? I'm hoping that is correct, but would like to know if anyone has encountered this situation before? Please feel free to move post if it is not in the correct area. I did a search of existing posts, but could not find the answer to this question. Thanks!
Hello @pdragn78,

I've gone ahead and merged your question into an existing discussion of this topic.

If you have the PreCheck designation on your boarding passes, it does not matter if it is random or because of membership in Global Entry or another trusted traveler program, your children under 12 will be permitted to accompany you in the PreCheck security screening lanes.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:37 pm

Thanks @TWA884 and @GUWonder for answering my questions. Time to sign up for Global Entry now!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by pdragn78
I have two children (5 year old and 2 year old) and my wife and I want to sign up for Global Entry or TSA pre-check. We currently only take domestic flights, but there is a chance (2-3 years from now) that we would fly internationally. I'm leaning towards applying for Global entry for just my wife and I for now (and adding the kiddos later if we decide to fly internationally). My questions is whether my kids would be allowed to join us in the TSA pre-check line if we have Global Entry on our boarding passes (and they have no designation on their boarding passes)?
Just to add some clarity, your kids by virtue of age can go in precheck. If you sign up for GE/PC and are approved, your boarding pass will show PC on it (assuming you're not selected out - I never have been). GE won't be an issue and it doesn't show up on BPs. GE only is a mechanism for international immigration on arrival and you'll be able to go to the GE kiosks (no one checks your eligibility before that) when you arrive. Your kids cannot accompany you however - they'll need to get GE separately (or you can forgo GE if you take them on an international trip, and use mobile passport or the regular line).
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by SPYDER67
Oh ok. We all will be in the standard line then
That seems to be the safer choice. I've seen in Honolulu (of all places, even in the "aloha state") families with older children being told to go to the back of the regular line by the TSA agent examining the boarding passes and IDs. Embarrassing to say the least.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Just to add some clarity, your kids by virtue of age can go in precheck. If you sign up for GE/PC and are approved, your boarding pass will show PC on it (assuming you're not selected out - I never have been). GE won't be an issue and it doesn't show up on BPs. GE only is a mechanism for international immigration on arrival and you'll be able to go to the GE kiosks (no one checks your eligibility before that) when you arrive. Your kids cannot accompany you however - they'll need to get GE separately (or you can forgo GE if you take them on an international trip, and use mobile passport or the regular line).
Thanks for the feedback! My wife and I have both applied for GE and now playing the waiting game for interview. If we travel internationally, my plan is to forgo GE like you stated. Again we mostly fly domestic, otherwise I would consider purchasing GE for the kiddos ($200/5 years for the both of them).
Old Sep 26, 2020, 8:43 pm

questions about Precheck and minors

My wife, 2 kids (under 12yo) and I all have Nexus.
We were turned back at Pre checkpoint because my wife's airline bp didn't show Pre for whatever reason.
Hers was the only one that didn't show it. The officer said it'd be no problem if it were my kid's bp not showing Pre. Since it's an adult's, she couldn't let us through.
So we went to regular security. The officer only looked at my ID and my wife's... didn't even look at my kids' ID (their Nexus cards).

Anyways, here are my questions...
1). Why do they even bother to check my kids' TTP cards at Pre checkpoint, if they don't necessarily care about checking kids?
2). Will we be able to use Pre as a family even if my child's TTP card is invalid? Her Nexus card is good till 2022, but her Passport (presumably linked to her Nexus) just expired.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by evergrn
My wife, 2 kids (under 12yo) and I all have Nexus.
We were turned back at Pre checkpoint because my wife's airline bp didn't show Pre for whatever reason.
Hers was the only one that didn't show it. The officer said it'd be no problem if it were my kid's bp not showing Pre. Since it's an adult's, she couldn't let us through.
So we went to regular security.
What I do and suggest when my travel party members are in such a situation: have the adult family member without PreCheck clear regular (non-PreCheck) security alone first; and then -- after that non-PreCheck family member has cleared security -- have the adult/older family member(s) with PreCheck and the accompanying U12 children do the PreCheck line thing.

Originally Posted by evergrn
Anyways, here are my questions...
1). Why do they even bother to check my kids' TTP cards at Pre checkpoint, if they don't necessarily care about checking kids?
2). Will we be able to use Pre as a family even if my child's TTP card is invalid? Her Nexus card is good till 2022, but her Passport (presumably linked to her Nexus) just expired.
1) To try to check the age of the children, if uncertain, and sometimes to do the "what's your name" and "are these your parents" questions directed at the children.

2) Yes, at US airports at least if all the following conditions are met: the children are still U12s and have boarding passes accompanying an adult with a PreCheck boarding pass for the same flight; and none of the boarding passes for the travel party members has an SSSS indication on it.
evergrn likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 27, 2020 at 11:33 am
Old Sep 27, 2020, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your children <16 may accompany an adult with Pre-Check through that line, whether or not they have Pre-Check. An adult must have pre-check in order to pass through that line.

As to your daughter, for purely domestic flights where a passport is not necessary, whether it is expired will not affect Nexus feeding data to TSA for Pre-Check and she will remain eligible for Pre-Check during the time between the passport expiration and renewal.

Remember that being a member of a TTP is a path to pre-check, but that the pre-check symbol must still appear on the BP, Why that happened here is a different set of issues and is likely easily remedied or was simply a statistically insignificant incident or a glitch.
evergrn likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Your children <16 may accompany an adult with Pre-Check through that line, whether or not they have Pre-Check. An adult must have pre-check in order to pass through that line.
Actually it's children 12 and younger.

From the DHS website:

I am traveling with my family; can they also use the TSA PreCheck™ lane?
Children ages 12 and younger may use the TSA PreCheck™ lane when traveling with a parent or guardian who has the indicator on their boarding pass. Travelers 13 and older who do not have a TSA PreCheck™ boarding pass must go through standard security lanes or apply. Before applying, TSA recommends reviewing the various DHS trusted traveler programs, such as the TSA PreCheck™ Application Program, Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI, to determine the best program for your family.
evergrn likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:51 pm

Thanks a lot for the responses.
I won't sweat it as far as my daughter's passport for the upcoming domestic flight then.

I just looked up and saw that kids under 18 do not need ID to fly US-domestic.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...identification
And so I still think it's bizarre that they want to check my daughters' TTP cards and do the "what's your name" thing every time, when I guess they wouldn't even be required to show ID if they went to regular line. My younger daughter's 9 and she's small for her age.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
TSA PreCheck For Minors

Hello all. Hoping for a quick gut check here. I often travel with my 11 and 15 year olds. Both my wife and I have Global Entry and Precheck. Both boys have always gotten TSA precheck on their boarding passes when traveling with us. There has never been a issue with this.

We have a few flights coming up and I'm double checking the Precheck rule and the TSA website says:
"Children ages 12 and under do not need a separate enrollment when travelling with a parent or guardian enrolled in the TSA PreCheck® program"

That's great for the 11 year old, but then why has the older child always gotten Precheck too? Is there a loophole I am missing? If he's good to go until he's 18 when traveling with us I won't be in a rush to sign him up but if we've been just getting lucky and dodging bullets then we'd definitely get him registered.

Anyone have any thoughts? Many thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Dcislander
Hello all. Hoping for a quick gut check here. I often travel with my 11 and 15 year olds. Both my wife and I have Global Entry and Precheck. Both boys have always gotten TSA precheck on their boarding passes when traveling with us. There has never been a issue with this.

We have a few flights coming up and I'm double checking the Precheck rule and the TSA website says:
"Children ages 12 and under do not need a separate enrollment when travelling with a parent or guardian enrolled in the TSA PreCheck® program"

That's great for the 11 year old, but then why has the older child always gotten Precheck too? Is there a loophole I am missing? If he's good to go until he's 18 when traveling with us I won't be in a rush to sign him up but if we've been just getting lucky and dodging bullets then we'd definitely get him registered.

Anyone have any thoughts? Many thanks!
Hello ​​​​​​Dcislander,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

You may wish to also take a look at the following thread:TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:33 am

Often travelling companions of PreCheck travellers seem to pick up the PreCheck designation on their boarding passes. I'm not sure what the criteria is. My wife, for instance, always got it when I booked the tickets even though she didn't have it until she got her GE ttn.

They definitely will turn around any teens that don't have PreCheck on their boarding passes at the line. I watched this happen in Charlotte. And for christ sake, have all the travellers have out their own boarding passes. Had a family of five really muck up the line the other day because mom was holding all the passes. Fortunately they did all have precheck.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:32 am

Global entry, can kids use TSA line

I'm considering getting global entry. Domestically, can my teen and preschooler use the tsa precheck line at airports with me? In case this, should I just apply for TSA precheck instead? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.