Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SaturdayKid
Am I missing somehting but why is GE still such a benefit?

With increasing numbers of US airports (i.e. most with direct BA flights) having the automated passport control machines which work for US citizens and Visa Waiver travellers.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...rt-control-apc

Apologies if I am being stupid but my last four or five US trips I have used these machines and been through in a few minutes
I was thinking the same thing....
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:27 pm

Have you seen the queues that can build up for customs?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Have you seen the queues that can build up for customs?
I was about to reply in a similar fashion. My wife arrived through MIA a couple of weeks ago and the customs queue / line snaked around the carousels. She doesn't have GE and it took her about an hour to get out and head to connections. With GE there's often a separate exit I can use with very little wait time.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

With increasing numbers of US airports (i.e. most with direct BA flights) having the automated passport control machines which work for US citizens and Visa Waiver travellers.

Apologies if I am being stupid but my last four or five US trips I have used these machines and been through in a few minutes
No, you do make a good point, but my last time through SFO lines for everything were ridiculous - I was through with GE in a matter of mins. I do hope they fix it so that GE is not needed and we can just use the APC route.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold

There are very much worth it. I travel to the US regularly, and whilst the situation at certain airports (MCO, BOS, etc) is improving with the ESTA kiosks, I have been to the very same airports that run smoothly one day and on another day keel to a halt. Despite the kiosks.

Global Entry is a near on certainty to get through customs in minutes.

The introduction of more kiosks will certainly alleviate future congestion issues in US immigration halls. But it is still in it's infancy.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
If GE gets you TSA Pre, as it does for US people, then that would make it worthwhile. I think it is usually still faster than the kiosks but you may come to a halt at customs when there isn't a separate exit.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
If GE gets you TSA Pre, as it does for US people, then that would make it worthwhile. I think it is usually still faster than the kiosks but you may come to a halt at customs when there isn't a separate exit.
It does give you TSA Pre✓. I've had it on a number of VX flights.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by T8191
As I understood it, GE requires [1] frequent travel, and [2] and interview in the US. Too much hassle, especially as the general Border experience i improving somewhat with the ESTA-recognising machines.
Neither 1 nor 2 are required by U.S. CBP. Infrequent travelers have gotten GE too. And CBP also has been doing some GE interviews outside of the U.S. -- as I know people who have had it done in Europe and Asia.

With APC kiosks and Mobile Passport Control increasingly in the picture, I've been using my GE membership less and less frequently for entering the U.S.; but I'm going to renew my membership when next it comes due because it still saves me time when/where APC kiosks have been getting backed up too.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
With the APC kiosk do you not still have to then wait to see an immigration officer, it is just that interview is now typically quicker? I have also seen the machines shut off sometimes and the old system kicks in. GE has always worked for me, especially at mia. No doubt the kiosks are improving things, but Ge it is not. I never get tsa pre flying on my ba number on aa (booked on aa.com where i can add my passid) even if only AA internal flights that day, probably some discrepancy with my name. Cant be bothered fixing it. I find security is never bad in fast track tbh. Oddly i got it as a platinum aa member in my pre-GE/BA exec club days when tsa pre first came out. I was an anomaly....
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The only time in the last 6 months GE might have been useful for me was at MCO after clearing passport control.

I got to the kiosk without delay and was straight through with no waiting. Then there was a large line in the baggage reclaim to exit, now from memory there was a sign saying Global Entry but it didn't appear to me to be used. There were two lines and it didn't seem (or I don't remember) GE being a separate queue.

Arrivals at PHL and PHX since have been painless, through the automated kiosks and out the door 2 minutes later.

Now if TSA Pre was also part of GE then I would definitely find that beneficial. Would have saved me loads of time!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
Now if TSA Pre was also part of GE then I would definitely find that beneficial. Would have saved me loads of time!
It is.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
IME part of the trick to getting TSA Pre on domestic flights seems to be to reprint your boarding passes once in the US (as obviously the ones you get from check-in elsewhere don't mention it). Worked on my last couple of trips on US/AA.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Mine have always had the TSA Pre on any subsequent domestic BP in the US, and the same when leaving, ie. the domestic BP has TSA Pre on it. That is with United though. Perhaps BA is different.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Mine have always had the TSA Pre on any subsequent domestic BP in the US, and the same when leaving, ie. the domestic BP has TSA Pre on it. That is with United though. Perhaps BA is different.
BA do not participate in TSA Pre.

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa...lines-airports
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Germany, UK, and as a Swiss citizen I'm still left in the cold...

Non-PR in Canada and Swiss, I'm SO CLOSE to both Nexus and Global Entry........... damnit. At least Global Entry had a trial this spring in Switzerland, so hopefully next year or so we'll officially be joining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.