Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mnbp
Is the KTN for your Nexus the same as for your GE? Perhaps thanks to the transition from GOES to TTP systems you managed to get two separate memberships. If this happened to you, it won't continue under the new TTP system.
Yep. NEXUS number is the same as GE.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
Yep. NEXUS number is the same as GE.
If the number is the same, I'm 99% sure that only the most recently issued card is actually valid.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
I use to have the APEC card and traveled in Asia extensively without a work visa. I've never been rejected. Cumulatively, I wouldn't be surprised if the time saved is in the days. Well worth the expense.

Card was especially helpful at DMK airport with its throngs of Chinese tourists
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I have applied for the ABTC and somewhat surprised by the limited number of interview locations. I have gotten conditionally approved and the nearest location to ATL is MIA and the appointments are couple of months out wherever I look. Has anyone had success walking into the GE enrollment center in ATL?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
DP: Logged into DHS site and shows my 1-year-old expired APEC, click renew and it shows renewal as the status of the application. Planning on getting a new passport, so haven't gone further.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I raised the question of whether US ABTC cardholders could apply for visa exemption from other countries even though the U.S. was only a transitional member...https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23026667-post36.html...

A the time, the questions was poo-poohed.... but

According to the regulations published in the Federal Register...
https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...l-card-program

"Fully participating members may choose to provide full “pre-clearance benefits” to any transitional member whether or not the transitional member provides similar full “pre-clearance benefits.”
So the question is....

1. Which countries provide pre-clearance benefits to travelers from transitional member countries.
2. How do you submit an application for getting the benefit.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
1. Which countries provide pre-clearance benefits to travelers from transitional member countries.
2. How do you submit an application for getting the benefit.
1. None
2. The request is handled by your government (US/Canada). Once they receive approval they will provide an APEC card with that country's code listed on the back of the card.

Given 1, neither US or Canada do 2.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
1. None
2. The request is handled by your government (US/Canada). Once they receive approval they will provide an APEC card with that country's code listed on the back of the card.

On what basis do you know that the answer to 1. is none?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 9:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
On what basis do you know that the answer to 1. is none?
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...rams/apec-faqs

Traveling with the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card

Can the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card be used in lieu of a visa in a foreign APEC member economy?

No. Foreign APEC member economies will not recognize the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card in lieu of a visa. Card holders must present any travel or identity documentation, such as a passport and visa (where applicable), required by the foreign APEC member economy. If a U.S. APEC Business Travel Card holder does not conform to the foreign economy’s visa, passport or entry requirements, the card holder may be directed to a non-expedited lane or refused entry. Check the entry requirements of the destination APEC member economy before travel.
https://www.apec.org/Groups/Committe...Group/ABTC/FAQ

Question 3 – What is the difference between fully participating members and transitional members?

ABTC holders from transitional economies are not able to receive pre-clearance from fully participating economies and must therefore present any visas, travel or other entry documents that are required for entry to their destination economy.

The reverse side of an ABTC issued by a fully participating economy will list the economies to which the holder has been granted pre-clearance. The reverse side of an ABTC issued by a transitional economy will be blank.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:36 am

Those are FAQ. Read the actual agreement and the actual regs published in the Federal Register, which specifically state..

"Fully participating members may choose to provide full “pre-clearance benefits” to any transitional member whether or not the transitional member provides similar full “pre-clearance benefits.”

As far as I can tell, the only reason U.S. card holders can not get pre-clearance benefits is because the CBP has unilaterally decided they won't request those benefits on behalf of U.S. card holders. (Per an earlier submission in the Federal Register, CBP states..."It is not expected that foreign APEC members will recognize the U.S. ABTC in lieu of a visa.")

Also as far as I can tell there is no language in the regs of any participating economy that says pre-clearance benefits are limited to card holders from full member economies.

My best guess (and I may well be wrong) but it looks to me like the lack of pre-clearance benefits has no basis either in the APEC agreement or in any enabling law or regulation and is just something made up by the same bureaucrats who wrote the FAQ.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by docbert
1. None

Exactly right.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 12:47 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
My best guess (and I may well be wrong) but it looks to me like the lack of pre-clearance benefits has no basis either in the APEC agreement or in any enabling law or regulation and is just something made up by the same bureaucrats who wrote the FAQ.
You're looking at it the wrong way. Member countries can apparently offer it to transitional countries on a voluntary basis (according to the third party account in the Federal Register, the actual agreement and framework do not appear to be published by APEC directly) but there's no mandatory requirement as long as they're transitional members. As a practical matter, without reciprocal visa free entry, other countries are unlikely to allow visa free entry unilaterally. The FAQs represent what the de facto status is, not what could be possible. If you look at the approval tracker, the US and Canada are not included so it doesn't look like there even an attempt at extending pre clearance to those two countries.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by rustykettel
You're looking at it the wrong way. Member countries can apparently offer it to transitional countries on a voluntary basis (according to the third party account in the Federal Register, the actual agreement and framework do not appear to be published by APEC directly) but there's no mandatory requirement as long as they're transitional members. As a practical matter, without reciprocal visa free entry, other countries are unlikely to allow visa free entry unilaterally. The FAQs represent what the de facto status is, not what could be possible. If you look at the approval tracker, the US and Canada are not included so it doesn't look like there even an attempt at extending pre clearance to those two countries.
This is how I interpret it.
(to the OP) There have been random reports of border agents letting people through without country codes, and others treating a non-coded card as if the card itself doesn't exist, and throwing folks back into the "normal" line. But this is less a reflection of the country's policy as it is of the border agent's uncertainty about how to handle the transitional card. At least for now, as far as I'm aware, the official policies are as described (fast lane access), and you need to take any "standard" pre-entry actions you normally would (visa, ETA, etc....).
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I agree there was no attempt by the CBP to obtain pre-clearance for U.S. citizens. I'm well aware of the status quo. My question is why we have the status quo, which is clearly contradictory to both the ABTC framework and to U.S. law.

As a practical matter, without reciprocal visa free entry, other countries are unlikely to allow visa free entry unilaterally.
l'm not sure that's true. The benefit to an economy of inbound business travelers far outweigh the benefits of expedited travel to a country's own citizen. Further, immigration policies in Asia are not at all reciprocal. For example, Japanese can travel to Vietnam visa-free, but not the other way around. There are many instances of this because of the recognized benefits of facilitating inbound travel even if the same privileges are not extended to one's own citizen.

IMHO, what happened is that the CBP unilaterally decided not to request the pre-clearance benefit for U.S. cardholders because either they assumed (probably incorrectly) that clearance would not be granted, or more likely they were incapable of implementing (as prescribed in the ABTC Framework and the laws of U.S.) the mechanics for seeking pre-clearance. Don't forget this was the agency that spent $2.5 million dollars and took 2 1/2 years to implement the current card system in the U.S. which consists of capturing digital signatures with a signature pad available for $98 on Amazon to print primitive (no strip or chip) cards which cost less than 10 cents, and which required only a minor modification to an existing software system which at most should have taken a month and cost $25k.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
For example, Japanese can travel to Vietnam visa-free, but not the other way around. There are many instances of this because of the recognized benefits of facilitating inbound travel even if the same privileges are not extended to one's own citizen.
However, ABTC holders from fully participating countries do not need to separately apply for visas when traveling to other fully participating APEC countries. The ABTC serves as the entry authorization. Thus, a Vietnamese ABTC holder does not need a visa to travel to Japan when traveling for business purposes. Each participating APEC country vets its own ABTC holders. Apparently, Canada and the US want to retain the visa approval process for business travelers from APEC countries who are not eligible for the US visa waiver program or Canada's visa-exempt foreign nationals program.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 16, 2020 at 7:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.