Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
My family of 4 used the ABTC line (marked for diplomats & crew) at SJD San Jose Del Cabo airport earlier this month. The lady fronting the line just waived us through without a close look at the card. Saved at least 30 minutes ^ ^ though we had to wait for checked baggage
Does each member of your family have an APEC card?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:06 am

Small point, but APEC card can also be used when entering the U.S. (which most know, I simply hadn't stopped to think about it).

Arrived back at EWR last week, realized I could use APEC lane (zero line) but I would have needed to produce the 6059B form that I refused whilst on board. So made my way to GE.

Here's the rub, had to wait behind one person in GE line, and subsequently had an altercation with a member that then tried to cut in front of me.

So it makes me wonder...should I get in the habit of completing the 6059B on board as a precaution? Or is the time I waste filling it out likely to be greater than the wait time at a GE terminal?

What do others do when returning to the US?

Jamie
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Don't like paper so I generally use Mobile Passport app or GE depending on whether I have food or not.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:44 pm

Data point for signup:

Already have GE, registered and approved instantly for ABTC, tried a walk-in at TPA, but told MIA is the only center in FL that allows walk-ins for APEC. Not sure why, and it's not mentioned anywhere in the letter

Oh well..
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Applied on goes at midnight, conditionally approved within 5mins, and had my signature captured at SFO before my flight today with less than five minutes wait. Had the full approval shortly after. 5 years expiration, and the letter says to expect my card in 3 weeks.

SFO has a sign that specifies walk in APEC applicants only have to wait for the next agent to be available - i.e. Higher priority than GE w/appointment.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Nexpoman
I've never seen any signs for APEC in MEX either, but if you go through the crew lane to the right, they'll stamp your entry card there and let you pass; no problems whatsoever.
Great advice, thanks. At MEX again and I Walked past the massive "foreigner" line to the crew line - probably saved 30+ minutes. IMO this card is even better than GE ^
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:49 pm

Flew into Bangkok (Don Muang--DMK, not BKK) last week and this was the first time I was denied expedited immigration clearance after arrival with the APEC card. I'm from USA and when she looked on the back and there was no stamp, back to the end of the line she told me (As luck would have it, it was about a 2 hour wait unfortunately). However, I have cleared in this airport previously. Has anyone else had this issue at DMK?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EZjace
Flew into Bangkok (Don Muang--DMK, not BKK) last week and this was the first time I was denied expedited immigration clearance after arrival with the APEC card. I'm from USA and when she looked on the back and there was no stamp, back to the end of the line she told me (As luck would have it, it was about a 2 hour wait unfortunately). However, I have cleared in this airport previously. Has anyone else had this issue at DMK?
The agent was incorrect and wasted 2hrs of your time - you should request escalation to a supervisor.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Any walk-in experiences at LAX? The next appointment is Sept, but I'm transiting through LAX a few times in May and June. Trying to see how much time I might need (I realize there is no way to know with certainty). Thanks
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I waited less than five minutes as a walk in when I did it at LAX.
I ended up going in at the end of May and it was 5 minutes, very easy.

Interestingly, they told me they had to send my card to a US address. So I had to accept that, even though it would be inconvenient. However, they actually mailed it to my Australian address. Go figure.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EZjace
I got the look then a shrug and a wave through. The US version of this card is a weak version since the US is something like a provisional member.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Bkk dml sgn icn nrt sin dtw

Must Remember!!! This card is good for leaving as well as arriving. I finally figured it out at ICN where I walked into the "crew" and bypassed the 30 minute GE line.

I had success at all the airports in the title. The best gambit seems to be to go to the crew and/or diplomat line. If there is not one open then find a likely looking handler and confidently ask where to go. It opened up a line for me twice. On the other hand at DTW it took extra time versus GOES.

Going to try it at PHX on Monday. Trying to go from Delta terminal 3 to AirCanada terminal 4 in less than 26 minutes.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Having an ABTC as a US Resident - what exactly does this get me?

I'm going to be doing a fair amount of international travel as part of my job and so I decided that as long as I was getting GE, I would apply for the ABTC as well. I was approved for both, but honestly, I can't figure out what the ABTC can do for me as a US citizen since the US is a "provisional member." Yes, I've read a few articles on it but it's still unclear and I do have a master's degree so I'm guessing I'm not the only one who may not get it. Can anyone tell me, in very plain language, how this card makes life easier? Is there a line that can be skipped somewhere, a visa that doesn't have to be applied for, etc.?

Thank you!!
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
First sentence in the wikipost. The sentence in red.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 2, 2017 at 4:22 pm Reason: Remove circular link; no longer needed after threads were merged
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by onetess
I'm going to be doing a fair amount of international travel as part of my job and so I decided that as long as I was getting GE, I would apply for the ABTC as well. I was approved for both, but honestly, I can't figure out what the ABTC can do for me as a US citizen since the US is a "provisional member." Yes, I've read a few articles on it but it's still unclear and I do have a master's degree so I'm guessing I'm not the only one who may not get it. Can anyone tell me, in very plain language, how this card makes life easier? Is there a line that can be skipped somewhere, a visa that doesn't have to be applied for, etc.?

Thank you!!
Card allowed me to have breakfast in Hong Kong, lunch in Kuala Lumpur and dinner in Singapore. Would not have been possible without the card.

You get to use crew/diplomat lanes entering and exiting participating nations. Not hard at all to understand, though some nations scoff at the provisional participation of the US.

Jamie
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:42 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Just a data point but I went online to renew my APEC card, which was expiring in August, after just getting a new US ordinary passport a week ago and updating GOES for my GE. I was approved in about 18 hours and get the message the new APEC is in the mail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.