Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ari
Very simple: If your card has "CHN" listed on the back as a country "valid for travel to", then you can enter China using your APEC card in lieu of a visa. Otherwise your APEC card is just a pass to the courtesy immigration lane. Here is what Timatic has to say about the issue:

The card must be endorsed, you see. Same goes for Russia.
But if he has a US issued card, it won't have CHN listed on the back - so the US card is nothing more than a fast track line card and bears no other privileges. That is the most important take-away, as anyone with a US or Canadian issued card who shows up in China without a valid visa in their passport is going home on the next flight, assuming they were able to bamboozle a ditzy agent into letting them board the flight to China in the first place.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That is the most important take-away, as anyone with a US or Canadian issued card who shows up in China without a valid visa in their passport is going home on the next flight, assuming they were able to bamboozle a ditzy agent into letting them board the flight to China in the first place.
Not counting the very limited visa-free transit allowed at PVG or PEK (which is unrelated to the ABTC.)
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by bocastephen
But if he has a US issued card, it won't have CHN listed on the back - so the US card is nothing more than a fast track line card and bears no other privileges. That is the most important take-away, as anyone with a US or Canadian issued card who shows up in China without a valid visa in their passport is going home on the next flight, assuming they were able to bamboozle a ditzy agent into letting them board the flight to China in the first place.
Correct - US and Canadian citizens without a Chinese visa would probably be denied boarding anyway (if not stopped at immigration) except in the case of TWOV:

Originally Posted by nkedel
Not counting the very limited visa-free transit allowed at PVG or PEK (which is unrelated to the ABTC.)
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nkedel
Which is another headache in itself trying to educate airline agents about this program so they don't deny boarding.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Qatar Gold, Delta MM
I'm a US APEC card holder and will be traveling to Bangkok for a conference. My colleague on the same flight doesn't have APEC.

Has anyone had success having a non-APEC colleague join you in the APEC queue. I'm guessing that's not allowed, but since we're sharing a taxi to the hotel I hate to have to wait for her to get through the long/slow line.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by dmf_singapore
I'm a US APEC card holder and will be traveling to Bangkok for a conference. My colleague on the same flight doesn't have APEC.

Has anyone had success having a non-APEC colleague join you in the APEC queue. I'm guessing that's not allowed, but since we're sharing a taxi to the hotel I hate to have to wait for her to get through the long/slow line.
Should be fine. I have an HK issued APEC card and will bring my wife in the line with me. Never had a problem in BKK (or other Asian cities).
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Are there APEC card benefits (fasttracking) when crossing the HK-SZ land border (both directions so 2 exits and two entrances)

Used to do that quite often, didn't have an APEC card at the time
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jerrywu View Post
Yes, a business visa is required to certain countries, say China for one, so as to use APEC ABTC (US issued) accordingly. There are countries, usually allowing VISA FREE, such as HKG, TWN, JPN, immigration officers did not ask if I have a business Visa on my passport. YMMV.
Having said that, a business Visa is technically required, to use APEC ABTC(US issued).
Originally Posted by geclub1
I do not believe that's true, and I do not understand why people are repeating this as if it is true.

This is based on my personal experience at various APEC countries. Similar reports are all over this thread.
Here are FAQ's as extracted from CBP website page. Although, I do agree with you that several countries did not require a VISA to enter.

Q:
Can the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card be used in lieu of a visa in a foreign APEC member economy?

A:
No. Foreign APEC member economies will not recognize the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card in lieu of a visa. Card holders must present any travel or identity documentation, such as a passport and visa (where applicable), required by the foreign APEC member economy. If a U.S. APEC Business Travel Card holder does not conform to the foreign economy’s visa, passport or entry requirements, the card holder may be directed to a non-expedited lane or refused entry. Check the entry requirements of the destination APEC member economy before travel.
Q:
Can I use my U.S. APEC Business Travel Card for personal travel, such as vacation?

A:
No. The APEC Business Travel Card is for members who travel frequently on short-term visits within the APEC region to fulfill business commitments. To use the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card, you must be traveling solely for business purposes to the foreign APEC economy.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dmf_singapore

Originally Posted by theworld
Should be fine. I have an HK issued APEC card and will bring my wife in the line with me. Never had a problem in BKK (or other Asian cities).
This may not answer to your question, but referring to CBP FAQ, it seems to me this is up to immigration officer to decide if a non-APEC person can join you in the fast-track immigration lanes. I joined a regular lane when traveling with a non-APEC person or my family.

Q:
Is my spouse or child able to access the APEC lanes if they are traveling with me?

A:
No. The U.S. APEC Business Travel Card is not transferable and applicable only to the card holder. Access to APEC lanes will not be extended to anyone traveling with the U.S. APEC Business Travel Card holder.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Originally Posted by ec6863
Everywhere i read, i am told that if I have an APEC card, I do not need a visa, specifically with Russia and China as a US citizen
It seems the fact that you need a visa is not the answer you want, but it is the correct answer. You will need a visa to enter China and Russia, even with the APEC card. The APEC card does not replace visa requirements for US citizens.

Without a visa, you will most likely be denied boarding. Even if you aren't, you will NOT be entering China / Russia. Listening to anyone who tells you otherwise is an error.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by BosTravel
Everywhere i read, i am told that if I have an APEC card, I do not need a visa, specifically with Russia and China as a US citizen
It seems the fact that you need a visa is not the answer you want, but it is the correct answer. You will need a visa to enter China and Russia, even with the APEC card. The APEC card does not replace visa requirements for US citizens.

Without a visa, you will most likely be denied boarding. Even if you aren't, you will NOT be entering China / Russia. Listening to anyone who tells you otherwise is an error.
The poster might not have read this page: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-tr...ked-questions2. That is the difference between full members and transitional members of the ABTC scheme.

It takes only about a week to get a Chinese visa for up to 10 years, and can be expedited if needed. Missing a business meeting is more costly.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: Alaska, American
ok, so since the US is a transitional member it does not get the visa free benefits that other apec members get. like the article below mentions

http://www.apec.org/Press/News-Relea...06_travel.aspx
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:05 am

ok, so since the US is a transitional member it does not get the visa free benefits that other apec members get. like the article below mentions

We've posted this very thing so many times here - you need a visa for ANY country that requires one, and that visa must be in your passport. The APEC card issued by the US or Canada is for no other purpose except fastrack clearance lanes.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the article echoes the sentiment of my post:

Originally Posted by Article
“If approved, cardholders would require the issuance of a new card with "RUS" inscribed on the back.”
It is the endorsements on the back that permit use of the ABTC in lieu of visas on a country-by-country basis.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Approval times after interview?

Had my ABTC interview yesterday, but no update in GOES yet. How long does it usually take to finalize? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.