Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK/1 MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hotels.com Gold, National Car EMC
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango
Thanks for answering, but if you don't mind my asking, what is your answer based on?
WhiskeyTango.
I travel to Mainland 4-5 times per year. During my most recent trip last month to Shanghai, I traveled with 3 different people and 2 had the APEC card with no VISA. (They both just had received their cards and had the SAME EXACT idea as you do now.)
Long story short, both ended up being sent back to US after hours of argument in the Chinese Immigration back office. One of them got a little too excited during his argument and almost got arrested.
They told me later on that they called the Chinese government office and the US Embassy in China but to no avail.
Whatever responses you received from your emails to China won't stand a chance...

My question to you is, why do you want to put yourself in that situation? We now have 10 year business visa available at the same price as the 1 year before. If your company does $10 billion USD with China, couldn't you write off the cost of the visa?
My company only does $1.8 billion USD as a whole and only $1 million in China but they still paid for mine. (And my APEC card)

If you still think you can pull it off, by all means please do. Whether success of failure (most likely the latter), I'm sure many of us here would love to hear your result!
pilotsnoopy likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by PacRim
WhiskeyTango.
I travel to Mainland 4-5 times per year. During my most recent trip last month to Shanghai, I traveled with 3 different people and 2 had the APEC card with no VISA. (They both just had received their cards and had the SAME EXACT idea as you do now.)
Long story short, both ended up being sent back to US after hours of argument in the Chinese Immigration back office. One of them got a little too excited during his argument and almost got arrested.
They told me later on that they called the Chinese government office and the US Embassy in China but to no avail.
Whatever responses you received from your emails to China won't stand a chance...

My question to you is, why do you want to put yourself in that situation? We now have 10 year business visa available at the same price as the 1 year before. If your company does $10 billion USD with China, couldn't you write off the cost of the visa?
My company only does $1.8 billion USD as a whole and only $1 million in China but they still paid for mine. (And my APEC card)

If you still think you can pull it off, by all means please do. Whether success of failure (most likely the latter), I'm sure many of us here would love to hear your result!
Thanks @PacRim ! That's exactly what I was looking to hear about. I have no desire to argue with PRC border guards, I was just trying to get clarification as to what the actual PRC policy is. From your experience, it looks like even if the MFA policy is to accept US cards that clearly isn't the MPS policy, which is the only one that matters. I was just trying to cut some red tape and save a few bucks from my T&E budget. I'm going to get the visa based on your experience and enjoy the faster immigration lines in the airports I visit. I really wish there was something like this for India...

Hopefully the consular official that answered my emails isn't the one that my visa application ends up in front of.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Thanks @PacRim ! That's exactly what I was looking to hear about. I have no desire to argue with PRC border guards, I was just trying to get clarification as to what the actual PRC policy is. From your experience, it looks like even if the MFA policy is to accept US cards that clearly isn't the MPS policy, which is the only one that matters. I was just trying to cut some red tape and save a few bucks from my T&E budget. I'm going to get the visa based on your experience and enjoy the faster immigration lines in the airports I visit. I really wish there was something like this for India...

Hopefully the consular official that answered my emails isn't the one that my visa application ends up in front of.
US is a transitional member only. Foreign ABTC cardholders entering US may still require US visa (depending on the passport), and therefore the reverse also applies. ABTC memberships are still useful as holders need not wait in long immigration queues.

I believe there is an exception for US passport holders with Hong Kong permanent residency. They can apply for ABTC in Hong Kong, which can enjoy visa exemption for China. Perhaps someone can confirm that. (I haven't tried that because I have another ID to enter China.)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by PacRim
WhiskeyTango.

In general, arguing with an immigration officer in any country is a bad idea. The visitor can get arrested and potentially blacklisted from entering the country.

Embassy does not always know answers. When the media asked the US Consulate General in Hong Kong about dual citizenship 20 years ago, their first answer was that dual citizenship was not allowed. They later retracted the statement. It is better to take the safe approach and get a visa than to take an unnecessary risk.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just because the scheme is supposed to work a certain way, doesn't mean that's the way the government of the PRC is going to do it, especially if its in their interest to be different. If I get an official response from Beijing, I'll share that too.
Simply put PRC could have simply remove visa requirements completely if it was in their interest.

The PRC embassy webpage is assuming the ABTC has the CHN endorsement.

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I believe there is an exception for US passport holders with Hong Kong permanent residency. They can apply for ABTC in Hong Kong, which can enjoy visa exemption for China. Perhaps someone can confirm that. (I haven't tried that because I have another ID to enter China.)
If you are referring to a HKSAR issued ABTC, then it would still have to be pre-cleared by PRC but there is no exemption specific just for US nationals. The HKSAR ABTC can be issued to ANY national having HKSAR permanent resident status, valid passport and be a legitimate business person.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
If you are referring to a HKSAR issued ABTC, then it would still have to be pre-cleared by PRC but there is no exemption specific just for US nationals. The HKSAR ABTC can be issued to ANY national having HKSAR permanent resident status, valid passport and be a legitimate business person.
I don't have the HKSAR-issued card (even if I do, I will not be using it to enter China). According to the ABTC rules, the holder should be pre-cleared by PRC before entering China visa-free. As US-issued ABTCs do not get pre-clearance, the only place to get ABTC with pre-clearance will be through Hong Kong, if the person has Hong Kong permanent residency.

HKSAR is probably the only place that allows foreign citizens with HK permanent residency to apply.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
In general, arguing with an immigration officer in any country is a bad idea. The visitor can get arrested and potentially blacklisted from entering the country.

Embassy does not always know answers. When the media asked the US Consulate General in Hong Kong about dual citizenship 20 years ago, their first answer was that dual citizenship was not allowed. They later retracted the statement. It is better to take the safe approach and get a visa than to take an unnecessary risk.
I use ABTC line when I entered Beijing on a TWOV visit - but apart from that I would not risk any trip to China without a visa. I don't see the U.S. ABTC Hsving any biometric info the way it's been designed - officials anywhere will likely not read your full email once you mention you have an ABTC card and less likely if you don't write to them in Chinese.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:56 am

APEC cards issued from 1 September 2015 will be valid for 5 years rather than the current three. We've done a story at: http://www.milesdownunder.com/2015/0...id-for-longer/
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Miles Down Under
APEC cards issued from 1 September 2015 will be valid for 5 years rather than the current three. We've done a story at: http://www.milesdownunder.com/2015/0...id-for-longer/
IMHO, a bit premature to say this will apply to US issued cards considering the glacial pace it took DHS to implement ABTC initially.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
To sign up for HK e-channel, one needs to have visited HK using that particular passport for 3 times.

Having ABTC card waives that "3 times" requirements. Certain airline elite status can also waive this.

This page says HKG needs to be listed on the back of ABTC. My US-issued ABTC was accepted, even though it does not have any endorsement.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
To sign up for HK e-channel, one needs to have visited HK using that particular passport for 3 times.

Having ABTC card waives that "3 times" requirements. Certain airline elite status can also waive this.

This page says HKG needs to be listed on the back of ABTC. My US-issued ABTC was accepted, even though it does not have any endorsement.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/..._visitors.html
As far as I understand, the endorsement is for visa free travel. If you can enter HK visa free, the ABTC card is only for expediting your entrance into HK.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:50 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
ICN / Seoul-Inchon info

Originally Posted by tookay
I just flew out of ICN yesterday and had a new experience. When I checked in for my flight, the agent noticed that I had an ABTC card in my passport case. She then took out sort of a small coupon that was an entrance pass to Fast Track, put my info on item, ticked the "reason" box as "other" and gave it to me. I gave that to the officers at the Fast Track entrance, they both looked at it in sort of a puzzled way as if they had never seen one before. No problems, I went straight through without even showing them my ABTC card.

Meanwhile, as is so often the case, the usual security lane queues were horrendous. One business class passenger was shouting at the agents "what? I paid $2000 for this ticket and I don't get Fast Track?"

ICN really do need to do something about outbound security and immigration. For an airport that gets top marks in polls, it gets the bottom 10% from me for departure security and customs queues.
Doh! Wish I had seen this! I just arrived and departed ICN. Two notes:

1) On Entry, I went to the APEC Card lane and the officer sent me back to fill out an Arrival Card, which was smaller and different from the landing card given to other passengers. I was able to get one from the costumed lady who was directing people.

2) On Departure, there was a screen at security showing where the shortest lines were (portal #1 at the far right was green - the other three portals were all red). Very short line, although it took some time as they decided to pull some of my power cables out and rescan my tote bag. After that, I noticed there was an APEC Card sign for Immigration, but I didn't look for a separate line because the line right after my security lane had only one person in it.

At the entrance to the security lines, there was a person stationed across from a scale, which worried me, but I walked past without incident. Not sure who they might accost.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:12 am

Just for future reference, the entrance to the fast track lane that you can use with ABTC at ICN is in the very center with the entrances leading in from each side.

You might also want to show the checkin agent your card and maybe they will give you one of the fast track cards. That seemed to make things very easy once I arrived at the entrance and handed the card to the security officer.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:30 pm

I'm a happy camper

I know there's been a tremendous amount of criticism posted re the implementation of ABCT for us but after traveling with it for the past year, I'm a happy camper.

I was in Shanghai in late July, flying in/out via HK and in economy class. Hadn't returned to Middle Kingdom in 7 yrs so not sure what to expect at the Pudong Airport. Fortunately, ABCT worked like a charm.....arriving my immigration officer was new and asked his colleague at counter what to do. One minute later my passport is stamped and I'm through to pick up luggage. Leaving was even better, long long lines, estimate a good 45 minutes wait. Found the fast track and this time, looked at my card, returned it and stamped my passport.

In Bkk on same trip, had a few side trips to Myanmar and Cambodia and in/out of Bkk via fast track was a breeze.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
According to the relevant thread in the Asia forum, Indonesia's new free Visa on Arrival for US pasport holders is stamped "For Tourism Only". Business travelers from the US and certain other countries must either get a visa in advance or pay $35 and wait in an additional line for VOA. I've just gotten my ABTC, but I infer that if I want the free VOA I will not able to wait in the APEC line for immigration inspection but must instead wait in the monster VOA line. (My trip is for business, but my stay in Jakarta is a transit stop en route to meetings in other countries, so I could characterize the stop either as tourism or business, but I guess not both.) I am curious, however, to know whether anyone has had a contrary experience, i.e. being able to wait in the APEC line and then still get the free VOA. There are several posts on this thread about trying to use a US-issued ABTC in immigration exit lines in Indonesia, with mixed results, but I can't find anything about arrivals since the new VOA policy went into effect. Thanks so much for whatever information anyone may have.

Last edited by Assimilated Cajun; Aug 25, 2015 at 4:15 pm Reason: Forgot to say Thank You.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.