Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by apollo927
I was asking a different forum member this question, if it doesn't provide visa free entry to US citizens, what's the benefit of applying for this card?
It entitles you to a frequent traveler pass in Singapore so you can use the automated immigration gates instead of queuing to enter the country.

In Indonesia, you don't have to pay the $38 entry fee.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
It entitles you to a frequent traveler pass in Singapore so you can use the automated immigration gates instead of queuing to enter the country.

FWIW It sounds like APEC is technically optional for for US Trusted Travelers to take advantage of Singapore automated gates.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/enter-depart/for-visitors/FTP
Old Apr 21, 2022, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by droopydog
You can use the special APEC line in immigration.
Exactly. I once hosted a client breakfast in HKG, a lunch in KUL, and a dinner in SIN. There is NO WAY that would have been possible without using the APEC lines (coming and going) at immigration. Would have been two days on the road instead of one. APEC rules. Oh, as an aside, if Global Entry machines are ever down upon returning to the U.S., which happened to me once, you can walk into one of the immigration rooms with your APEC card and quickly be on your way.
Boraxo and TPACjv like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
FWIW It sounds like APEC is technically optional for for US Trusted Travelers to take advantage of Singapore automated gates.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/enter-depart/for-visitors/FTP
Without the APEC card, you must have entered Singapore at least twice in the past 24-months. With COVID, that is a difficult hurdle for many.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by FoxCrane
New applicant here. I just set up the interview for my first ABCT in June. Are these interviews similar to the ones I had for Nexus?
I had my interview a month ago and all the officer asked was what business I have in the region. All I answered was the broadstroke outline of my business and gave some examples of upcoming travel plans. The whole thing took less than 10 min.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

Thanks for the heads-up! I have some upcoming travel to SIN and this will make life even easier.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:51 pm

Entered DPS as tourist yesterday, brought two family members through APEC line. Given there was an intermediate stop to check vax status, bags were coming down when we entered customs hall and we were the first to leave the airport. Non-APEC immigration lines looked long but not the worst I’ve ever seen.

safe travels all - Jamie
Old May 26, 2022, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just re-applied after I realized my card had expired in April when I tried to use it entering Malaysia last week. They approved me right away but gave no mention of sending the card to my address in the states. I assume they will send it but does anyone have a recent timeline for receiving this card? Thanks
Old May 30, 2022, 12:13 am

As an American, I recently started a business that if successful will lead to travel in Asia. How much documentation will I be expected to show as proof of business purpose when applying for this later on?
For example, I'd likely travel with mixed leisure/business trips and put down tourism/sightseeing on entry forms. Would I need to put "business" as the purpose of visit on some entry forms prior to applying for an APEC card? Anyone get extra scrutiny by immigration due to this?
Would I also need to prepare certain business documents, proof of meetings or something?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by theworld
The FAQ is one thing, but has anyone actually had any success in using their ABTC in Canada. I've failed several times to use it in both YVR and YYC. Agents there have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention the ABTC and show it to them.
Any update on whether YYC US or CAN agents know about ABTC?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:11 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by shuuy
Any update on whether YYC US or CAN agents know about ABTC?
The post you quoted was from 2016. I've seen ABTC signage in Canadian airports (YUL) in years past.
shuuy likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:43 am

1. What other countries can US Citizens with Global Entry apply for automated gates or fast-track entry to (without APEC)? I'd not heard of Singapore's.
2. I currently have Global Entry but have applied for NEXUS. Should I apply for an APEC card under my Global Entry membership now, or wait until I am approved for NEXUS?

Last edited by rossteixeira; Jul 6, 2022 at 1:18 am
Old Jul 6, 2022, 6:16 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by rossteixeira
1. What other countries can US Citizens with Global Entry apply for automated gates or fast-track entry to (without APEC)? I'd not heard of Singapore's.
None really. NZ/Australia used to have a GE requirement but no longer.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Ambassador/LT Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by randomasian
As an American, I recently started a business that if successful will lead to travel in Asia. How much documentation will I be expected to show as proof of business purpose when applying for this later on?
For example, I'd likely travel with mixed leisure/business trips and put down tourism/sightseeing on entry forms. Would I need to put "business" as the purpose of visit on some entry forms prior to applying for an APEC card? Anyone get extra scrutiny by immigration due to this?
Would I also need to prepare certain business documents, proof of meetings or something?
I did my combined GE/APEC interview a few days ago, and apart from the standard GE questions (address, employment, have you ever been arrested), all of the other questions were related to APEC. He stated that it's for "business travel" only, asked why I wanted it (I said I just started a new job which will involve frequent travel to Singapore), went through the countries I had traveled to and whether each was business or leisure (a mix for me), and whether my company had an office in Singapore. Then he stepped away and spoke with another officer, came back and did a lot of typing, and finally said I was approved. I never had to provide any documentation or other evidence beyond what was stated in my application. I haven't tried using it yet, but at least the application was relatively painless.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by must_wander
I did my combined GE/APEC interview a few days ago, and apart from the standard GE questions (address, employment, have you ever been arrested), all of the other questions were related to APEC. He stated that it's for "business travel" only, asked why I wanted it (I said I just started a new job which will involve frequent travel to Singapore), went through the countries I had traveled to and whether each was business or leisure (a mix for me), and whether my company had an office in Singapore. Then he stepped away and spoke with another officer, came back and did a lot of typing, and finally said I was approved. I never had to provide any documentation or other evidence beyond what was stated in my application. I haven't tried using it yet, but at least the application was relatively painless.
I recently got back from SIN and used my Apec card without a hitch. Also had the same easy breezey experience using it in BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.