Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
OK, new question. I am <30 days out from my current APEC card expiring - the card I currently have is my 2nd renewal and was only valid until my passport's expiration (same <30 days out at this point).

I renewed my passport last week and have since been poking around on the TTS website looking for a way to renew/re-apply for APEC. There is no renewal link anywhere. Has anyone renewed their APEC card recently? From this thread, my understanding is that the renewal option is supposed to pop up ~30 days from your APEC expiration date?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by immaculate
OK, new question. I am <30 days out from my current APEC card expiring - the card I currently have is my 2nd renewal and was only valid until my passport's expiration (same <30 days out at this point).

I renewed my passport last week and have since been poking around on the TTS website looking for a way to renew/re-apply for APEC. There is no renewal link anywhere. Has anyone renewed their APEC card recently? From this thread, my understanding is that the renewal option is supposed to pop up ~30 days from your APEC expiration date?
Now it's actually an entire year before your APEC card's expiration date when you can renew it. Aside from a glitch in the TTS system - hardly unheard of - I would guess that the system can't match your APEC card with an unexpired passport. Were you able to match or renew your Global Entry or Nexus with your new passport (never mind the six-month grace period, it's not relevant for present purposes)? I suspect that since APEC is such a small program, this situation might have been overlooked by the website designers. You might need to take care of this in person, unfortunately.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Nexpoman
Now it's actually an entire year before your APEC card's expiration date when you can renew it. Aside from a glitch in the TTS system - hardly unheard of - I would guess that the system can't match your APEC card with an unexpired passport. Were you able to match or renew your Global Entry or Nexus with your new passport (never mind the six-month grace period, it's not relevant for present purposes). I suspect that since APEC is such a small program, you might need to take care of this in person, unfortunately.
Bummer - you're probably right. No issue matching my NEXUS with my new passport as far as I can tell (updated my profile on TTS and everything looks good). I have a feeling this is going to result in me having to re-apply for APEC once my current membership expires in 3 weeks
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:25 am

Bummer - you're probably right. No issue matching my NEXUS with my new passport as far as I can tell (updated my profile on TTS and everything looks good). I have a feeling this is going to result in me having to re-apply for APEC once my current membership expires in 3 weeks
I hope you don't have to reapply, but if it you do, I bet it'll go a lot smoother if you're able to do so before your present APEC expires in three weeks. Most centers take APEC as walk-ins, so if you can get to one in person before your present APEC card expires, they might be able to peg it to your new passport right then and there. Otherwise, you might have to gather documents and go through the whole interview process again. Let us know how it turns out!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Nexpoman
I hope you don't have to reapply, but if it you do, I bet it'll go a lot smoother if you're able to do so before your present APEC expires in three weeks. Most centers take APEC as walk-ins, so if you can get to one in person before your present APEC card expires, they might be able to peg it to your new passport right then and there. Otherwise, you might have to gather documents and go through the whole interview process again. Let us know how it turns out!
Great tip - I'll try to walk in at SEA or SFO later this week or next and see if I can sort it out that way
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Great tip - I'll try to walk in at SEA or SFO later this week or next and see if I can sort it out that way
FWIW I recently tried to sign things at SFO, and was told that I needed to wait for the next GE date which is in three months.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
FWIW I recently tried to sign things at SFO, and was told that I needed to wait for the next GE date which is in three months.
Thanks for the data point. I tried to go ahead and make myself an appointment online only to find that the online appointment system won't let me - I'm guessing because I don't have any open applications
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:11 pm

Rejected? Need advice

Hi all,

I'm utterly confused here. Canadian citizen with my own investment holding company with NEXUS for 8 years. Almost always travelling (not just to Asia). Applied for ABTC and thought I'd be interviewed by a CBSA officer. At the Vancouver urban enrollment centre. Instead interviewed by a US CBP officer who decided rather quickly that I didn't qualify. My passport is filled with stamps from the past few years but I also travel to places like Australia and Europe where no stamps are made. Tried to assert my case but he didn't seem interested. He then punted it up to his supervisor and told me that person would make the decision, that he personally felt I don't qualify, and I'd see an update via the website. I never got to speak to this supervisor. Needless to say I'm not optimistic and this whole process is frustrating and disappointing. Expecting rejection (which I'd appeal) despite knowing that I meet the investment activity qualification for bona fide business person.

Anyone with similar experience or advice? Why would a US CBP officer/supervisor get to make the call on this anyway given I'm Canadian? I'm worried this will just get stuck in limbo.

Will provide data points as they occur.

​​​

Last edited by Varus50; Aug 28, 2019 at 5:13 pm
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Varus50
Anyone with similar experience or advice? Why would a US CBP officer/supervisor get to make the call on this anyway given I'm Canadian? I'm worried this will just get stuck in limbo.

Will provide data points as they occur.

​​​
My understanding is that for an APEC travel card to be issued, any participating country can issue a veto. Not sure about your Canadian citizenship status/travel history but the US frequently denies entry to people who have travelled to blacklisted countries (e.g. North Korea) and also CBP might well view someone whose Canadian citizenship was obtained via investment differently than a tenth generation Québécois.

Not it saying any of this is right, or that it actually increases security, but that it is how people with far better information than we do designed the system.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:03 pm

My understanding is that for an APEC travel card to be issued, any participating country can issue a veto. Not sure about your Canadian citizenship status/travel history but the US frequently denies entry to people who have travelled to blacklisted countries (e.g. North Korea) and also CBP might well view someone whose Canadian citizenship was obtained via investment differently than a tenth generation Québécois.

Not it saying any of this is right, or that it actually increases security, but that it is how people with far better information than we do designed the system.
Just to clarify, I'm Canadian by birth. As for investments, this is literally my companies' entire purpose and my own personal livelihood, yet the CBP officer wouldn't accept that as a valid reason for granting the card. Your point about veto, that makes possible sense (despite not having travelled to any blacklisted countries that I know of, nor ever being denied entry to the USA). My main confusion is due to the pre-approval letter saying I would be interviewed by a CBSA officer, yet there I was being interviewed by a CBP officer. It's as if Canada has ceded their approval process to the USA.

Anyways, looks like my application is just sitting there - TTP website still says I need to have an interview. Tried emailing the CBSA's ABTC email inquiry address but no response after more than a week. No idea what to do next.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by Varus50
Anyways, looks like my application is just sitting there - TTP website still says I need to have an interview. Tried emailing the CBSA's
ABTC email inquiry address but no response after more than a week. No idea what to do next.
Very confusing indeed. I thought for USA if you're part of TTP the approval pretty automatic since there are no visas granted. When I went to give my signature, CBP officer did ask me how often I travel to Asia before taking the signature. Wasn't sure if was an "interview" question or not but of course should always assume every question is an "interview" question.

Did you apply for the card through TTP or directly with CBSA?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by synthkeys
Very confusing indeed. I thought for USA if you're part of TTP the approval pretty automatic since there are no visas granted. When I went to give my signature, CBP officer did ask me how often I travel to Asia before taking the signature. Wasn't sure if was an "interview" question or not but of course should always assume every question is an "interview" question.

Did you apply for the card through TTP or directly with CBSA?
Applied through TTP. My understanding is Canadian Nexus and ABTC applications all go through there and there is no other option. The CBP officer who interviewed me made a point of telling me he had already denied the person ahead of me too - seemed to enjoy having that authority.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My understanding is that for an APEC travel card to be issued, any participating country can issue a veto.
Countries can veto endorsing the card for entry to their country, but I don't believe they can veto an individual getting a card at all.

As US/CA cards aren't endorsed by any countries, I can't see how the other APEC countries would have any way to veto an application.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:01 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Interesting data point on APEC renewal. I logged in (as I periodically do) and noticed that my APEC expired in July...totally forgot about it since I've not been traveling a lot lately. I did not have a button to "renew", only a button to "replace card". I tried it...it collected a $25 dollar fee and I wanted to see. Last night (I had applied earlier that morning) I got an approval with no questions asked, card with new expiration date 3 years from now in the mail.

I was shocked and surprised, so there must be some grace period for renewals (and no interview required at least for me).

Score one!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by gwade
Interesting data point on APEC renewal. I logged in (as I periodically do) and noticed that my APEC expired in July...totally forgot about it since I've not been traveling a lot lately. I did not have a button to "renew", only a button to "replace card". I tried it...it collected a $25 dollar fee and I wanted to see. Last night (I had applied earlier that morning) I got an approval with no questions asked, card with new expiration date 3 years from now in the mail.

I was shocked and surprised, so there must be some grace period for renewals (and no interview required at least for me).

Score one!
hey gwade, thanks for posting this. I have a "replace card" button on mine as well, and clicked through only to see a process that looked like it was for replacing a misplaced card. Didn't do it. Going to try it now and see if I have the same outcome as you. thanks a bunch for posting this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.