Search

TSS-JFK-PHX First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USairways Elite, Delta Platnum, Trueblue, Chairmans Club
TSS-JFK-PHX First Class

Hi all,

Im writing this the night before the grand adventure. This time last year I was working on a plan for a flight to some family that I had in Phoenix, I made my flight arrangements (delta first class awards, O class) for a trip that would become an adventure. Work was slowing down with the economy, and I was given a couple weeks right after the inauguration to take a vacation. This trip however would be different, my return date was not set and I have been sitting on a fairly large reserve of cash. so my adventure begins, I will be flying to Phoenix but then, on monday I will walk into Phoenix Sky Harbor and purchase myself another one way first class ticket due west to whatever the first flight out of the country is, I plan to circle the earth making stops in cities that I have only read about in books or seen on TV.

However I digress, first things first.

TSS-JFK

Flying US helicopters I will depart 34th street, the flight should take 8 minutes from liftoff to touchdown, and because of codeshare partnerships with DL I will be dropped off right next to my boarding aircraft and shuffled off to the Crown Room 35 minutes before departure since security is apparently handled at 34th street as well as luggage check in.

to be continued when i take the flight
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I look forward to your report(s)
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I look forward to your report(s)
Likewise! Sounds like it could be a good trip.

Ever thought of putting it all in a weblog somewhere? (even a free account).
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:35 am
Original Poster

so the day begins

I write this prepping my bags for flight, I was able to change my helicopter flight from 1:10 to 3:25 wich is closer to my departure time and will get me into JFK at 3:35, from there I havent decided wether to splurge or not on using my delta reserve card to do CR or just to sit by the gate and type out more of this tale..

To Be Continued
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: All of them!
Exclamation

Are you buying point to point tickets or using open tickets (RTW) to get to each destination? What a great way to go where you want WHEN you want!!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cs57
Are you buying point to point tickets or using open tickets (RTW) to get to each destination? What a great way to go where you want WHEN you want!!
I'm going to walk into each airport (when I am ready and finished with the preceding destination) and look on the departures board, whatever is leaving first to a city that i seem interested in going to, and that takes me due west (from asia)

this is something that my father did when he was about my age (mid 1970's) so I'm trying to make it a "right of passage" and something of historical significance for my family.

I have picked my first Jump will be PHX-SFO I'll be spending a few days there and then move on to Asia I'm thinking either Japan or Korea, just because I'll be stuck in coach for these flights unless I can talk a sweet flight attendant into giving me a no-fee/no-miles upgrade.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:41 am

Should be a very interesting trip to report on for sure! I am a big, big fan of non-pre-planned RTW itineraries. It allows a larger amount of kismet to enter into the trip as it goes along. And, I think, can often be done relatively cheaply. I once did JFK-MAD-HEL-BKK-NRT-JFK for under $2,000 with the last half BKK-JFK done on ANA in business class.

When I was recently in FRA and meandering around the terminal there were quite a few travel agent desks close to the the airline counters all with signs proclaiming flights for sale. I would love to find out just where I could go in such a situation and how much it would cost!

My only piece of advice would be that there are places such as BKK where visiting travel agents in the city a day before the flight might get you some serious deals...
Old Jan 24, 2009, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Well we are all waiting to hear about your adventures. Sounds like it will be a great trip!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Tick. Tick. Tick.

(Take your time )
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Tick. Tick. Tick.

(Take your time )
Give me a couple more days guy's. I'm in the process here in Phoenix of comming up with some sort of concrete plan.. my family (my ENTIRE) family wouldnt let me leave the country until they knew what countries im headed too... right now it looks like tokyo will be the first stop... I am also having trouble finding a place to host my photo's any ideas?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:39 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by sdrivers
Give me a couple more days guy's. I'm in the process here in Phoenix of comming up with some sort of concrete plan.. my family (my ENTIRE) family wouldnt let me leave the country until they knew what countries im headed too... right now it looks like tokyo will be the first stop... I am also having trouble finding a place to host my photo's any ideas?
Photos? I would suggest Flickr.com. You can buy a year's membership for about US$25/year. This gives you unlimited uploads and storage. I have had one for years and love it.

-Brian http://www.flickr.com/photos/bribri/
Old Jan 29, 2009, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by sdrivers
If you now have a plan of countries, seriously consider purchasing a RTW ticket. It will save you a bundle and you'd be crazy not to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.