Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay HKG-SFO Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Cathay HKG-SFO Business

I had posted about my flight from Bombay to HKG. Now I am off to the US on this rather long journey and was on Cathay. Checked in at the airport express station check in. This is a fantastic facility. You can check in your bag at the station and go to airport in peace. I was booked on the 505 PM flight to Frisco. checked in a bit early. Had requested for upper deck seats, I find this much more peaceful than main deck. Reached the arpt in 20 mins and went directly to passport control.

Cathay has 2 lounges in HKIA. The older one is called the Wing and is around the earlier gates and the brand new one is the Pier at gate 63. If you want to go to Pier its a bit of a walk so u can take the train which will get you nearer. My flight was boarding from gate 16 but yet I went to the new lounge. Its a pretty good lounge. They have a massive bar, like its long. But I was not to impressed with the drinks selection. They only have the routine run of the mill brands. Smirnoff for Vodka and Black Label/Chivas for Whisky. They also have a noodle bar and a coffee and ice cream bar. The lounge must be having more than 75 computers in a section so u will always get a PC.

Boarding was on time. I have reviewed the seat in an earlier review so wont review again. The staff was fantastic and very hospitable. The only strange thing I found in Cathay was that they do not have single malts. I wanted a malt whiskey so first they got me a Jack Daniels. I returned it so she got me all the bottles to have a look at and non was malt. Finally another hostess arranged a malt from first class but it was Glenfiddich!!! I mean a GF in first class?? There are airlines out there which have at least 2 malts available in biz and a malt library in first. Keep in mind I am being picky here and the crew did their best to ensure I got the best malt they had on board, just that it happened to be a GF. The wine list was impressive. Meal was good.

On this flight I slept and I found the bed to be quite comfortable. I slept for maybe 4 odd hours. They served breakfast also which had a varied selection. The flight landed on time and I was out of immigration and customs with my luggage which came pretty fast, in about 20 minutes. This is truly a record.

I have read a few reports on other websites and magazines about how this biz class is not good. Dont believe it. The seats are very comfortable, the crew is great, the service is amazing and the IFE is fantastic. What more do you want?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by vcg111
I was booked on the 505 PM flight to Frisco.
Please, for the love of all that is holy, don't call it "Frisco."
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Thanks for the report! Maybe one day...

Some pictures would have really been great, but it can be a bother.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
+1 on this. And then some. This is much worse than the TR I read recently where the writer referred to Lufthansa as "Lufty."
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWC-JMU
+1 on this. And then some. This is much worse than the TR I read recently where the writer referred to Lufthansa as "Lufty."
Was that about his trip from the Big Frankfurter with Mustard on Lufty to Frisco, the Rice a Roni treat
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Was that about his trip from the Big Frankfurter with Mustard on Lufty to Frisco, the Rice a Roni treat
OK I'll give this one a .

But just to clarify, the offending FT'er who used "Lufty" in the other TR I mentioned is not the same as the OP here.

BTW elitetraveler, do you know what a "Frankfurter with Mustard" is called in France? Yep, you guessed it, it's called a "Royale with Cheese." It's because they use the metric system in France.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Originally Posted by vcg111
The only strange thing I found in Cathay was that they do not have single malts. I wanted a malt whiskey so first they got me a Jack Daniels. I returned it so she got me all the bottles to have a look at and non was malt. Finally another hostess arranged a malt from first class but it was Glenfiddich!!! I mean a GF in first class?? There are airlines out there which have at least 2 malts available in biz and a malt library in first. Keep in mind I am being picky here and the crew did their best to ensure I got the best malt they had on board, just that it happened to be a GF. The wine list was impressive. Meal was good.

Not that it is a comparable product, Delta's 'Business Elite' serves Dewar's scotch ...
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
QR C offers GF Solera single malt 15yo (just checked my menu).

I did try it a few times on recent flights.

Thanks for the report - I will try to improve my own TR with some observations, en route to DOH via SIN-CGK-SIN. ^
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:48 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
+2, I also hate San Fran too, so many times the FA's call it that .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.