Long Time No See; Minnesota Misconnection; New Airports, Roads and Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 13th July 2009 to 18th August 2009
Part I: 13th July to 27th July

I got word of a trip I thought was from Calgary to Pharr, TX at the very bottom of Texas down by McAllen. Then I got word that truck was put on hold due to Customs issues.

Finally a trip from Duluth, MN to Surrey, BC came available and I accepted it and had hope that I would go to Calgary after that to get truck to Texas. I was able to get a decent fare from LGB to DLH with connections in SLC and MSP on "Northwelta".

I got ride to LGB, checked in and checked bags and cleared security. There was a queue but no secondary and no hand search.

Delta Connection/Skywest #4716 LGB-SLC CRJ-700 Seat 2D Cruising altitude 37,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 1:19 Scheduled departure 06h50, actual 06h53 out of gate 23. Scheduled arrival 09h45, actual 09h31 into E18

Plane was almost full. I got front row bulkhead seat on right side. Seat next to me was empty. Pushback was 3 minutes late followed by taxi/hold of 12 minutes and takeoff to northwest. I saw layer of haze, city below, mountains to the distance. I saw downtown LA in the haze, we made a left turn and I saw LAX, South Bay cities, the Palos Verdes Peninsula and Catalina Island. I saw San Pedro and we went over water and another turn was made left. Announcement came that snack choices were Peanuts or Biscoff cookies and Coke products.

We made landfall over Seal Beach at 0:06. I saw the Orange County coast from the Bolsa Chica wetlands south to Dana Point then I saw Interstate 405 and California 22. Then I saw the "Orange Crush" interchange of Interstate 5 California 22 and California 57. After that I saw California 91, the Santa Ana River and mountains followed by the Santa Ana Canyon and Lake Mathews to the distance with Lake Elsinore farther south and Lake Perris farther out and the San Jacinto and San Bernardino mountains still farther out. I saw the Chino Valley, California 60 and 71 and ONT. Then I saw the junction of Interstates 10 and 15, the California Speedway in Fontana and junction of California 210 and Interstate 15.

I got Biscoff at 0:12 and got a cup of soda. I saw junction of Interstate 15 and 215, San Bernardino, Silverwood Lake and Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake farther out. Afterwards we were over the Mojave Desert and the seatbelt sign went off at 0:19 and we crossed Interstate 40 at 0:20. At 0:26 I got another Coke and Biscoff. A minute later I saw Interstate 15, Mountain Pass and Ivanpah Dry Lake and Primm, NV. At about 0:30 we entered Nevada and I saw the Colorado River to the distance. I saw Jean, NV closer and we encountered some thin clouds. At 0:33 I saw Henderson, NV and Boulder City and junction of Interstate 215 and 515. Then I saw Lake Mead. At 0:41 I saw Mesquite, NV and the Virgin River. I saw Littlefield, AZ and the Virgin River Gorge and St. George, UT to the distance. I thought I felt descent begin at 0:45 and saw Cedar Cuty at 0:48. I saw smoke from fires in the mountains.

At 0:55 I saw junction of Interstate 15 and 70 and picked up some bumps. I felt descent really begin at 0:59 abreast of Fillmore, UT. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:04 and I saw Nephi. I saw Utah Lake, the Wasatch Front and Interstate 15 junction with the 215 Belt. I saw Interstate 80 and downtown Salt Lake City on final approach. We landed from south to north. Taxi was 6 minutes and we arrived 14 minutes early at gate. We deplaned by stairs.

Northwest Airlink #3524/Delta #4295 SLC-MSP CRJ-900 Seat 5A Cruising altitude 37,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:00, actual 1:56 Scheduled departure 10h51, actual 10h54 out of C5 Scheduled arrival
14h23, actual 14h20 into C16

I got to the gate and announcement was made of a possible oversell situation of this flight and a $300 voucher and F seat on later flight to MSP was offered as compensation. I was going to volunteer but didn't as they said they could not connect me to DLH.

I got the front row of coach on the CR9. The plane had NW markings but announcements aboard said Delta Connection. Pushback was 3 minutes late. Taxi/hold was 13 minutes. I saw downtown SLC during taxi. Takeoff was to the north and I saw the Great Salt Lake. We flew over the Wasatch and I saw Intersate 84 and later Interstate 80 and Evanston, WY at 0:10. At 0:13 I saw the T/A at Ft. Bridger, WY. At 0:16 I saw Little America, WY and at 0:19 we flew directly over Green River, WY. Then I lost sight of Interstate 80 and we went on a more northeast heading.

At 0:30 there was drink run and I got cup of Pepsi plus Biscoff. At same time seatbelt sign went off. Also I saw what I thought was US220 and at 0:35I saw Casper, WY. I saw Douglas, WY and Interstate 25 at 0:40 and I saw clouds start to increase as we headed east and there were some buildups. I felt some bumps starting at 1:14 and we were below cloud top level at times. I felt descent begin at 1:26 and announcement was made at the same time and it was 26C/79F at MSP. Clouds broke and there were more clear areas as we got closer to MSP. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:31 and I saw downtown Minneapolis on final approach and it was a bit bumpy. We landed from the west northwest. Taxi/hold was 16 minutes and we arrived at gate 3 minutes early.

Northwest #139/Delta #2371 MSP-DLH DC-9-50 Seat 22F Cruising altitude 19,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 0:26 Scheduled departure 15h30, actual 15h58 out of C11 Scheduled arrival 16h20, actual 16h42 into gate 4

Gate was changed to C11. The DC-9-50 had Delta markings. Third F/A was late arriving from another city delaying the flight. The DC9-50 may have been with North Central at one time in the past. Configuration was 16F/109Y with Y being 2-3. Pushback was 28 minutes late followed by taxi/hold of 11 minutes and takeoff to the east. I saw the Mississippi River then we turned north. I saw Interstate 94, Woodbury and further out the St. Croix River and Hudson, WI. At 0:06 it was announced there would be no beverage service in the Main Cabin. I felt we reached cruise at 0:09 and it was announced the seatbelt sign would stay on and winds were out of the west with high scattered clouds and 75F at DLH. I thought I felt descent begin at 0:14. Scenery was basically lakes, forests and rivers. I saw Lake Superior and Superior, WI. We made turns and I saw downtown Duluth. We landed north to south. Taxi was 6 minutes and we arrived at gate 22 minutes late. I got bags 15-16 minutes after arrival and got taxi to motel. On the taxi ride I saw some great views of Duluth, MN. I spent the night in Duluth as it was too late to get truck. Next day I got taxi ride to the shipper and picked up the truck.

Trip: Duluth, MN to Surrey, BC 1,795 paid miles Routes: Interstate 35 to Minnesota 210 to US10 to Minnesota 336 to Interstate 94 to Interstate 90 to Interstate 405 to Interstate 5 to Washington 543 to British Columbia 15 to British Columbia 99 to British Columbia 91 to British Columbia 10. Maximum elevation: 6,393 feet at Homestake Pass on Interstate 90 about 10 miles east of Butte, MT
Highest fuel price: $2.839/gallon at Flying J Ellensburg, WA
Lowest fuel price: $2.399/gallon at BP Duluth, MN
Permits needed: MN, MT, ID, WA and BC Trip Permits

It was raining at times when I picked up the truck. I fueled up and got started. There was rain at times wspecially approaching Aitken, MN and after I cleared that city there was an extreme downpour with thunder and lightning and visibility went down to almost zero so I had to pull off as best as I could and stop. I was concerned that there might be flooding. I heard later the city I just went through got a quick 6 inches of rain and streets and front yards of homes were overwhelmed with water. The rain subsided and I continued on. I saw Brainerd, MN and stopped for the first night of the trip in Staples, MN.

Second day there was no rain but it was windy. I had problems finding lodging but spent night at a Bed and Breakfast in Glen Ullin, ND. I saw all kinds of stars like I don't see in cities and I even saw the Milky Way. I did saw lightning from thunderstorms way off to the south.

Third day the weather warmed up. I stopped in Medora, ND and saw the North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame. It got up to at least 90F in Billings, MT but it was comfortable and I spent the night in Billings. Later it got even warmer. I attended Sunday morning service at Bible Baptist Church in Cle Elum, WA. The message was on prayer and worship and what worship means and the requirements for true worship.

I caught a traffic jam west of Cle Elum. I got to Bellingham where I spent night at motel. In Bellingham I had a visit with someone in my class from high school that I had not seen for over 29 years.

Monday I crossed the border. I was not sent to Immigration but the wait was over 2 hours due to other trucks ahead of me. I made delivery then caught the Quick Shuttle Bus to SEA and spent night in Seatac, WA. Company told me I would fly to Wichita, KS for next vehicle.

Next morning I got up at a very unsocial hour and got shuttle to SEA. I checked in and checked bags and paid the $40 for the two bags. Then I cleared security after a queue.

Northwest #158 SEA-MSP B-757-300 Seat 27A Exit Row Cruising altitude 35,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:40, actual 2:56 Scheduled departure
08h40, actual 08h42 out of S8 Scheduled arrival 13h52, actual 14h11 into F10

This was the first time in a NW B-757-300 and the plane did have NW markings. All 224 seats were full but I got a reclining exit row overwing. Pushback was 2 minutes late followed by taxi/hold of 24 minutes and takeoff to the south. I saw hazy view of Mt. Rainier then a turn was made east. I saw the north Cascades and Mt. Baker to the north. I saw downtown Seattle and Lake Washington to the rear. At 0:15 I saw the Columbia River and at 0:26 I saw Spokane, WA as the seatbelt sign went off.

At 0:52 there was a drink run and I got can of Pepsi and Biscoff cookies and I purchased Travel Treats snack box for $5 cash. At 0:57 I saw Great Falls, MT then clouds increased as we progressed east. At 1:15 coffee was offered. At 2:16 I saw what looked to be Interstate 29 and it seemed we went into a holding pattern near Sioux Falls, SD. At 2:19 the flight attendants offered water. Seatbelt sign went on and descent was announced at 2:22. I saw buildups to the distance during descent. We went into some clouds and felt some bumps. I saw downtown Minneapolis on approach and we landed northwest to southeast. Taxi was 8 minutes and we arrived 19 minutes late to the gate.

Northwest Airlink #2273 MSP-ICT CRJ-200 Seat 4A Scheduled departure
14h30 out of A4 Scheduled arrival 16h11 MISSED CONNECTION

I raced from the "F" concourse to A4 but barely missed the connection as only a 38-minute connection was scheduled and the previous flight was 19 minutes late and I was nowhere near the first off the plane. I was rebooked to ICT through MEM.

Northwest #458 MSP-MEM DC-9-50 Seat 15E Exit Row Cruising altitude 33,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:36, actual 1:35 Scheduled departure 16h55, actual 17h01 out of G21 Scheduled arrival 18h59, actual 19h02 into B4

When I was given boarding pass at gate I noticed I was stuck in a middle seat and was told that was all they had. Plane was totally full. Announcement was made we would have to dodge rain showers and thunderstorms and it was 75F with rain showers and thunderstorms at MEM. Pushback was 6 minutes late followed by taxi/hold of 15 minutes. During hold I saw lightning to the south but we took off to the northwest on a dry runway. Then there was a turn to the south. There were some bumps and I saw rain shafts then into the clouds and more bumps during climb.

At 0:25 we reached cruise and seatbelt sign went off. At about 0:40 there was a drink run and I got cup fo soda and Biscoff cookies. I found my seatmate who had the window seat was flying standby and perhaps was a NRSA passenger as he said he worked catering at MSP. I was not terribly happy as I specifically asked for window seat when I checked in at the gate after being rebooked. As I understood things the NRSA passengers should be the ones to be stuck in the middle seat but here I was a revenue passenger stuck instead.

There were numerous clouds en route. At 1:16 descent was announced and seatbelt sign was turned on. I got brief glimpse of the Mississippi River during descent during a brief break in the clouds otherwise clouds blocked view until final approach. Announcement was made it was 74F and rain stopped at MEM. We caught some bumps during descent and landed north to south on a wet runway. Taxi was 10 minutes and we arrived at gate 3 minutes late. It was raining at MEM when we arrived.

Northwest Airlink #2605 MEM-ICT CRJ-200 Seat 6D Cruising altitude 30,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:10, actual 1:10 Scheduled departure 19h55, actual 23h42 out of A14 Scheduled arrival 21h27, actual 01h10 +1

Announcement was made of a maintenance delay first to 21h00 then 21h15 then 22h00 then 23h00. I rang Northwest and found my checked bags already made it to ICT. Maintenance hold was released a little after 23h00 and everyone boarded instead of the usual pecking order. Pushback was 3h47min late followed by taxi/hold of 13 minutes and takeoff to the south. We were into the clouds within 29 seconds. At 0:22 there was a drink run and I got cup of soda and Biscoff cookies. We may have started descent at 0:38 but I felt ddescent for sure at 0:53. I am unsure of the direction we landed. Taxi was 4 minutes and we arrived at gate 3h43min late. We deplaned by stairs. I talked to the ramp and gate agent who went and retrieved my bags which came in on earlier flight. I met with another driver and we went to motel in Wichita. Next day we got transport to Hutchinson, KS where we got our vehicles.

Trip: Hutchinson, KS to Acheson, AB 1,750 paid miles Routes: Kansas 96 to US56 to US281 to Interstate 70 to Kansas 27 to Nebraska 27 to US34 to US385 to Interstate 76 to Interstate 80 to US385 to Nebraska 79 to US26 to Interstate 25 to Interstate 90 to Montana 3 to Interstate 15 to Alberta 4 to Alberta 3 to Alberta 2 to Alberta 19 to Alberta 60 Maximum elevation: 5,687 feet on Interstate 25 in Douglas, WY
Highest diesel price (USA): $2.569/gallon at Bosselman/Pilot Colby, KS
Lowest diesel price (USA): $2.399 at Pilot Shelby, MT
Diesel price (Canada): $0.750CAD/litre at Flying J Calgary, AB
Permits needed: WY and MT Trip Permits

The vehicle I picked up was a small school bus. This was the first time I ever drove a bus of any kind. The bus handled well and was automatic transmission. However there was no air conditioning. I got started and clouds increased as I headed north on US281. I saw a light show to the west. It started raining as I shut down for the night in Russell, KS.

Next day was hot and unpleasant as the vehicle had no air conditioning. I got some rain and a little hail near St. Francis, KS in northwest Kansas. That helped cool things off some. I ended up spending night in Big Springs, NE due to issues with lodging in Cheyenne (Frontier Days) and Sidney, NE (spillover from Frontier Days).

Following day was even hotter up to at least the high 90's F and possibly 102F/39C in the panhandle of Nebraska. I stopped briefly to see Chimney Rock near Bayard, NE then went through Scottsbluff and into Wyoming. I stopped to get a Trip Permit at Port of Entry in Torrington and there was a brief but intense downpour with thunder, lightning and hail. That cooled things off. There was more light rain north of Casper. I spent night in Buffalo, WY.

Next day it got hot into the 90's F and I saw more new territory taking Montana 3 out of Billings which ran concurrent with some other highways as well. In Harlowton, MT I saw lightning and there was a brief heavy rain shower. I at at a cafe and the rain quit by the time I finished. I saw impressive lightning especially on the prairies on the way into Great Falls where I spent the night.

Sunday morning I attended Calvary Chapel Great Falls, MT and the pastor was a man I knew years ago and I saw him for the first time in 12 or more years. There was a potluck lunch afterwards. There was no rain on the US side but some wind. I crossed the border and was sent to Immigration. Then I was sent to the Commercial Desk then I was on my way. I've been sent to Immigration numerous times but this was the first time at this particular port. Then I got pulled in at the weigh scale and the officer checked my Montana Trip Permit and I was sent on my way. I saw rainbow south of Ft. MacLeod and lightning and rain shafts so I elected to shut down and spend the night in Ft. MacLeod.

Monday it was not as hot as I headed north. I made delivery in Acheson which is just west of Edmonton near Yellowhead Highway. I was picked up by a friend and the place I made delivery at closed immediately thereafter. Temperature was 29C/84F which was not bad compared to what I experienced but quite warm for Edmonton. I spent the night at a friend's house in Edmonton.

END OF POST

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Aug 26, 2009 at 12:28 pm
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:30 am
Suspended

This is truly one of the all time great trip reports.

Last edited by Russell Sprout; Aug 25, 2009 at 9:06 am
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Indeed, Loose Cannon's trip reports are different. Most definitely an acquired taste or perhaps not. It helps to have read some of the previous ones. Otherwise each one is sort of like beginning a book in the middle.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:31 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Appologies to the TR regulars. What we've encountered is not a new member, but one re-incarnated. It's an issue we're all aware of, and we thank the members, the Original Poster, and everyone else for the notifications. Please continue to use the Report Bad Post link, as opposed to feeding the 'situations'

I trusts that we can all get back to topic again...

regards,
stp
on behalf of the FlyerTalk Moderating Team
Old Aug 26, 2009, 8:19 am

There is something comfortably pleasing about reading Mr. Cannon's trip reports. I always click on them....
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
I enjoy the view from the drivers seat as much as the view from 39K feet. Thanks Loose Cannon for insightful and interesting reports.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Original Post Now Complete

Stay Tuned for parts II and III
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:50 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thanks Loose Canon for sharing these.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:10 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Thanks for part 1! Quick question: what was your truck from Duluth to Surrey?

Thanks, Brian
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Thanks for part 1! Quick question: what was your truck from Duluth to Surrey?

Thanks, Brian
It was a utility truck. Part 2 is now complete. Stay tuned for Part 3
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I remember when I was a kid (18), that I wanted to drive an Indiana semi across these United States. The glory of being on the road. Back in the early 70's, there were a couple of television shows featuring long distance truckers. Anyone remember BJ and the Bear?
How about Movin' On with Claude Akins and Frank Converse. How could you not want to go n the road.

After reading LCs reports over the years, I realize that his job isn't all that glamorus. Same can be said about road warriors.

So keep on trucking LC. We all get to secretly live out our fantasy world through your reports. ^
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Blue
I agree with all the supportive comments posted I also always click on Loose Cannon's trip reports and find them both intresting and informative.

I'm sorry that someone found it fun to be rude about them and glad the moderators were quickly on the case!

Looking forward to the full report

DMF
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by DeadManFlying
I agree with all the supportive comments posted I also always click on Loose Cannon's trip reports and find them both intresting and informative.

I'm sorry that someone found it fun to be rude about them and glad the moderators were quickly on the case!

Looking forward to the full report

DMF
Indeed. I do to.

I find Loose Cannon's reports to be like an accident. I know I should not look, but I always do.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I love the LC trip reports..was just thinking it had been a long time since he posted one.

One question for LC - why do so many trucks get shipped to Surrey, BC? Seems like that shows up a lot as a destination for you.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFWFlier
I love the LC trip reports..was just thinking it had been a long time since he posted one.

One question for LC - why do so many trucks get shipped to Surrey, BC? Seems like that shows up a lot as a destination for you.
That's where one of the receivers is. In fact I've been booked B6 later today LGB-PDX and tomorrow I'm to get a truck in Portland, OR going to Surrey, BC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.