A week in Cape Town - BA F to the Southern Hemisphere

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A week in Cape Town - BA F to the Southern Hemisphere

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Just catching up and glad to see you are doing a TR of your recent travels.

You are right, fantastic sunrise out of Aberdeen on departure day! Is the KLM business the same as BA ie the middle seat blocked off?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Looking forward the rest of this, always enjoy your reports. I’ve got a CPT trip booked in for October so I will take some notes.

Waiting for F avios availabity to hopefully open up, at least on the outbound A380. Happy to keep 64K on the return.
Grab it as soon as it opens up! Seats in F are hard to come by on that route!

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I have two of those sausages in my home and my two dogs enjoy licking them.
I bet you do

Originally Posted by nequine
Just catching up and glad to see you are doing a TR of your recent travels.

You are right, fantastic sunrise out of Aberdeen on departure day! Is the KLM business the same as BA ie the middle seat blocked off?
Thanks nequine!Yes - KLM block the middle seat on the 737s "for your comfort"
nequine likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I take it leg room isn't any different to further back the plane?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: Meh
Great TR so far.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
I take it leg room isn't any different to further back the plane?
Correct!

Originally Posted by stevie
Great TR so far.
Thanks very much stevie!
nequine likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, much enjoyed so far! I’m glad I took a random look at the TR Forum!

Waiting patiently for the rest. Cheers, Stu.

You inspired me to look at the JNB routing, as I want CPT end-Feb for 10 days or so. Easy to get there on a 241 in J, nothing coming back! Same result everywhere I look.

Last edited by T8191; Apr 8, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:30 am

Actually doing your exact BA FC trip on Wednesday, next week. I usually fly direct LHR-CPT; but this will be the first time I had to change planes in JHB. Have about a 3 hour connection. Had wondered if this is long enough; calculating for a possible short delay and for the immigration/ baggage/ customs/ walk-to-departures/ re-check-in process. Your posting has reassured me!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, much enjoyed so far! I’m glad I took a random look at the TR Forum!

Waiting patiently for the rest. Cheers, Stu.

You inspired me to look at the JNB routing, as I want CPT end-Feb for 10 days or so. Easy to get there on a 241 in J, nothing coming back! Same result everywhere I look.
Thanks Uncle T - I'm glad you stopped by! Availability is scarce.... grab it as soon as it opens up!

More hopefully coming later this evening.

Originally Posted by xtra1
Actually doing your exact BA FC trip on Wednesday, next week. I usually fly direct LHR-CPT; but this will be the first time I had to change planes in JHB. Have about a 3 hour connection. Had wondered if this is long enough; calculating for a possible short delay and for the immigration/ baggage/ customs/ walk-to-departures/ re-check-in process. Your posting has reassured me!
Thanks for reading and for your comment xtra1. You'll definitely have enough time with 3 hours in-between flights. You'll have time to visit the lounge too and maybe enjoy a South African lager before your next flight
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Great TR so far stu1985! As always. Thank you very much for sharing.

Originally Posted by stu1985

KLM's breakfast is so poor. I just can't understand why they even bother. And don't get me started about that excuse for a sparkling wine.
roadwarrier and Romanianflyer like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Great TR so far stu1985! As always. Thank you very much for sharing.

KLM's breakfast is so poor. I just can't understand why they even bother. And don't get me started about that excuse for a sparkling wine.
Thanks for reading Andriyko! I didn't mind the breakfast tbh. It's only an hour flight and I liked the cold cuts rather than a hot breakfast a la BA.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Hilton Diamond, some others as well
Great TR! Subscribed
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just catching up Stu, currently at the Masters golf in Georgia. Another excellent TR......SFO777 and DanielW both have serious competition in the TR stakes
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lloydje33
Great TR! Subscribed
Thanks lloydje

Originally Posted by mike&co
Just catching up Stu, currently at the Masters golf in Georgia. Another excellent TR......SFO777 and DanielW both have serious competition in the TR stakes
Ha - not sure about that but thanks for the nice comment mike&co! Hope you enjoy the Masters - I know someone who got a free pass from his wife to go there and he's having a whale of a time!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Well, of course the piece of cow had better days
stu1985 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Some chill time in Cape Town

Within half an hour I was at the front door of the Hilton hotel. I was checked in and got a nice room on the 8th floor with some great views of Table Mountain. One of my favourite things was waking up in the morning to see the sun rise and see the colours change as the sun hit the mountain - just beautiful!

The hotel also had a small pool on the mezzanine level (which was freezing but nice to pop your legs into in order to cool off!).

The hotel has a handy wee shuttle bus which runs down to the V&A waterfront on the hour so I jumped on the 4pm bus and wandered around in the sun for a while. It was great just soaking in the atmosphere and enjoying the views.

I had a few beers at one of the bars by the water and enjoyed the sun until it started to dip and it got a bit cold. Back at the hotel, I headed to the Executive Lounge for a small snack and a drink and, before I knew it, I was exhausted so a quiet night was had!

In the morning, I got up and met my friend who had just arrived from LHR. He was lucky enough to get an OpUp from CW to F on the way out so he lucked out! I had some breakfast in the lounge and then we wandered back down to the waterfront so he could have a walk around. The walk probably lasted 20 mins and we then found a bar where he had a late breakfast and we may perhaps have enjoyed a few alcoholic beverages...... what are holidays for?! The rest of the afternoon was really enjoying the sun and the atmosphere. We found a bar right beside where live music was going on so we sat there for ages enjoying the music.

We went to Baia seafood restaurant down at the waterfront for dinner in the event and had a great meal. Octopus was brilliant! as was the Norwegian salmon with langoustine tail!

The rest of the night is not for this forum.......

The morning after, I blew away the cobwebs talking a walk whilst my friend slept it off! The clouds were coming in over Table Mountain in the morning. The locals call the clouds the "table cloth" which I just love!

Generally, I felt quite safe walking around Cape Town. Although when I was down by the bus station on the way down to the front, I was a bit on edge checking who was around me and was approached a few times for money. A sharp "NO" seemed to be enough to shake them off.

Approached the waterfront from a different direction today and saw some new things. It's a great area down here.

Outside the Silo hotel....

Time to cool off in the sun.....

I then hopped on the Cape Town wheel and got a pod to myself which was nice! The views were good from above.

Back at the hotel, we went to the lounge where were grabbed some snacks and some drinks. The lounge was a great place to spend some time. Recently renovated, it looks great. The staff there are absolutely wonderful too. We spent a long time chatting to Lillian who was always interested to hear about what we had done that day. The drinks selection was decent too - spirits, wines, beers (including some local ones).

We headed to a place for dinner which I just happened across last time I was in Cape Town - NV80. It has some of the best steak I have eaten. Luckily, I had made a reservation because the place was packed when we arrived. It's difficult to find for the first time because it's actually on the first floor of a shopping centre. But once you know the secret, you'll want to go back again and again! The meal was excellent - some delicious oysters to start ( had to order a second portion because they were so good) with and a fillet for main.

*love heard face emoji*

We enjoyed a lovely bottle of wine, some digestifs and coffee and the bill was around £55 for the both of us. Just brilliant!

After dinner, we grabbed an Uber and headed back to the hotel for a drink by the pool bar. The pool looks great at night!

More to come soon! Thanks for all your comments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.